Singing and Playing - Am I getting close?

surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm at the point where I can sing while playing guitar as long as the guitar is carrying the same melody. Does anyone have tips for singing against the grain or at a different tempo than playing guitar at. Or while fingerpicking.

Even with practice, practice, practice it just doesn't seem to be getting any closer.
“One good thing about music,
when it hits you, you feel to pain.
So brutalize me with music.”
~ Bob Marley
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm nowhere as good a singer as I'd like to be, and I'm always learning, but one tip I have is, you need to get your picking/strumming technique at the right volume and intensity. That way, you're not fighting against your playing, when you sing. and you can start being a bit more experimental with your vocal phrasing.
  • alright, it may not work for you but it definitly worked for me.

Im a guitarist and I had the exact same problem for a while. just couldnt do it. then my brother suggested to sing and play drums at the same time. it worked like magic when i started playing guitar again. now, if you cant play drums i would go with practicing drums a little bit along with guitar. once you can get a simple beat going try it out. good luck my friend.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    It takes years to get it right unless you're a natural. I can do one or the other quite well. I can do both just "ok" by my own standards.
  • leethalleethal Posts: 134
    im in the same situation as you. i try to just slow it down and use the guitar to give myself cues. Which note leads to which word. Also try playing eddie's songs most of them are great practice dead man, can't keep, parting ways (even though they won't help your fingerpicking/ singing.) If you find them too easy try adding subtle changes to the melody and improvise a little. This in particular really helps.