gibson ES 125

the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
anyone familar with these guitars?

what is a fair market value for one,and how do they sound for playing jazzy sounding 7th and 9th chords?

thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    the unseen wrote:
    anyone familar with these guitars?

what is a fair market value for one,and how do they sound for playing jazzy sounding 7th and 9th chords?

thanks.

cool badass guitars. I love them. Usually they run about 1250 or so on the open market, potentially you can get them from under a grand if you're a good shopper.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • They were built as a "Jazz Guitar" back then

I own one from 1952. Actually it was my grampas guitar, that he had for a real long time. Unfortunately I did not know that the guitar existed until after it was in my parents attic for 15+ years. The neck is warped beyond and adjusting help. About 5 years ago I looked into sending it back to gibson. They would remove the neck and steam it out, to see if they could pull the warp out, if not they would remove the neck and replace it. Back then the qoute was $750 to fix it, and I was told back then that those were going for around $750. Anyways, I didn't get it fixed yet (have told my self that yes someday you need to spend the money to get that fixed). The pick-up still works, which is extremely positive.

Oh and here is some handy information. He bought it used in the late 50's with this 15 watt bronson amp (that I still own, but am going thru some issues finding schematics for etc..) for a total price of $125.

Hey here is a dumb question, anyone have any idea on finding a schematic for that bronson amp, I've spent countless hours on the internet looking. The reason why I need this is due to how they bias'd amps back them.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    They were built as a "Jazz Guitar" back then

I own one from 1952. Actually it was my grampas guitar, that he had for a real long time. Unfortunately I did not know that the guitar existed until after it was in my parents attic for 15+ years. The neck is warped beyond and adjusting help. About 5 years ago I looked into sending it back to gibson. They would remove the neck and steam it out, to see if they could pull the warp out, if not they would remove the neck and replace it. Back then the qoute was $750 to fix it, and I was told back then that those were going for around $750. Anyways, I didn't get it fixed yet (have told my self that yes someday you need to spend the money to get that fixed). The pick-up still works, which is extremely positive.

Oh and here is some handy information. He bought it used in the late 50's with this 15 watt bronson amp (that I still own, but am going thru some issues finding schematics for etc..) for a total price of $125.

Hey here is a dumb question, anyone have any idea on finding a schematic for that bronson amp, I've spent countless hours on the internet looking. The reason why I need this is due to how they bias'd amps back them.

yikes. you'll need to talk to some amp guru's like Andy Marshall (THD) the guys at Maven Peal or London Power maybe even Robert Keeley or Alphonso Hermedia They'd probably know who to ask or where to look.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    yikes. you'll need to talk to some amp guru's like Andy Marshall (THD) the guys at Maven Peal or London Power maybe even Robert Keeley or Alphonso Hermedia They'd probably know who to ask or where to look.

Thanks for the help, I still have a long task in front of me thats for sure! Like a moron I went and ordered all new tubes for the thing, prior to checking in on how to bias it. Thats life I guess!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

Thanks for the help, I still have a long task in front of me thats for sure! Like a moron I went and ordered all new tubes for the thing, prior to checking in on how to bias it. Thats life I guess!

it may not be too difficult as there are only a few different ways to bias after all.

Those guys definately know their way around biasing.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    it may not be too difficult as there are only a few different ways to bias after all.

Those guys definately know their way around biasing.

I believe its the "Cathode Resistor" method. And I believe they are all dried up and failed.

I believe its the "Cathode Resistor" method. And I believe they are all dried up and failed.

ah, cathode bias. oh hey man thats somewhat minor. No worries. You just need to find a local amp tech to replace some of the innards (filter caps definately) resistors, tube sockets maybe that kind of thing. If the OT is ok you'll be fine. Basic old ass amp maintence. It's worth doing. Just like your guitar.

If you need a tech you can find one at http://www.webervst.com