Options

Original versions 'Wash' and Hard To Imagine'

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
I was on a hunt the past week through all my external HDs to find some rare PJ audio when I discovered a trove of other stuff I haven't listened to in ages. The Lost Dogs versions of Wash and HTI have been what I typically hear (Spotify) and I am getting back in touch with the goose bumps the OG versions gave me for years. Wow! HTI could only be found on the Chicago Cab soundtrack and Wash was on the Japan single of Alive if I recall? Going back through the Ten/Vs./Vitalogy singles and their b-sides has been fucking awesome. 
www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,152
    Nice! Dirty Frank is another one that changed slightly on Lost Dogs.
  • Options
    The OG HTI is magical. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,424
    edited April 2
    The Hard to Imagine on the Chicago Cab soundtrack I believe was the 3rd version. But it was the first one we heard. It was originally done for VS. Which I think is the Lost Dogs version. Then for Vitalogy and then No Code which is on the soundtrack along with Who You Are
    https://youtu.be/xYjL10U9ZiU?si=cPHxceWYf6ABooZN

Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    The Hard to Imagine on the Chicago Cab soundtrack I believe was the 3rd version. But it was the first one we heard. It was originally done for VS. Which I think is the Lost Dogs version. Then for Vitalogy and then No Code which is on the soundtrack along with Who You Are
    https://youtu.be/xYjL10U9ZiU?si=cPHxceWYf6ABooZN

That’s so interesting, I never knew that. I must prefer Jack on drums, but 3rd time was the charm for that one. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    Dang! Three versions? So there’s a version with Jack Irons on drums? 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Dang! Three versions? So there’s a version with Jack Irons on drums? 
    I believe it's the Chicago Cab one
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    StardogChamp79StardogChamp79 Posts: 905
    Heck yeah! I also loved the original version of “Alone” and was not sure why it was changed. Probably the part “I can’t help my self, don’t f*ck with me” was not appropriate but I was not sure what was caused this. Any ideas?
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022). 
  • Options
    Who plays on the Lost Dogs version? 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Who plays on the Lost Dogs version? 
    Should be Dave A
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,836
    edited April 3
    Never knew there were so many versions. Interesting. 
    Got the sad alone 1 2 punch in London Canada. 2 of my favorites. Love this band. Been away too long. Oh well.

Wash 2wice in 2013 while riding the rail. Sweeeeet.
    HTI Baltimore I think. Great times. End of flashback........ 
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    Alone, Wash, Brother, and Dirty Frank original versions are all better than the Lost Dogs version. Footsteps too, though the harmonica has grown on me. 

There was just such magic in those early days that it’s impossible to impove upon. Not that there hasn’t been magic since. I’m on year 32 of being a fan for a reason! 
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,221
    Yah, I've got a B-Sides/Rarities folder that I made that has all the original versions, well at least the ones we were all introduced too.  Love those versions.

It would also be awesome if chicago cab got release on vinyl :)
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,563
    Most of the b-sides from ten and vs are freakin great! I am also sure there are more from the Vitalogy era we haven't heard yet. 
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,331
    rrivers said:
    Alone, Wash, Brother, and Dirty Frank original versions are all better than the Lost Dogs version. Footsteps too, though the harmonica has grown on me. 

There was just such magic in those early days that it’s impossible to impove upon. Not that there hasn’t been magic since. I’m on year 32 of being a fan for a reason! 
    Just noting that the "original" version of "Footsteps"-- the one Eddie dubbed onto the tape he got from Jack Irons with the Gossard demos-- had harmonica on it.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    js87130js87130 Posts: 88
    edited April 3
    I thought the original version of Hard To Imagine was found on the Hallucinogenic Recipe bootleg box set.  I know I had heard that version well before Chicago Cab came out.
    Post edited by js87130 on
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,480
    js87130 said:
    I thought the original version of Hard To Imagine was found on the Hallucinogenic Recipe bootleg box set.  I know I had heard that version well before Chicago Cab came out.

Yeah, the Vs. demos version of HTI was also available on a bootleg called "Five Against One" so it was definitely out there before Chicago Cab.
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,596
    js87130 said:

Yeah, the Vs. demos version of HTI was also available on a bootleg called "Five Against One" so it was definitely out there before Chicago Cab.
    I have that one. 
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,911
    One of my personal favourites.

A Chicago Cab. I haven't seen that film in a long, long time. Wonder if they will ever get to release that soundtrack on vinyl.

RSD someday maybe?
  • Options
    rock4everrock4ever Posts: 237
    I was on a hunt the past week through all my external HDs to find some rare PJ audio when I discovered a trove of other stuff I haven't listened to in ages. The Lost Dogs versions of Wash and HTI have been what I typically hear (Spotify) and I am getting back in touch with the goose bumps the OG versions gave me for years. Wow! HTI could only be found on the Chicago Cab soundtrack and Wash was on the Japan single of Alive if I recall? Going back through the Ten/Vs./Vitalogy singles and their b-sides has been fucking awesome. 
    Wash was on the EU yellow digipack version of Ten along with Dirty Frank and Alive ( live )