Options

21 year old Killed by Mountain Lion in NorCal appears to be a Pearl Jam fan

gerald605gerald605 Posts: 173
edited March 25 in The Porch

Brothers Taylen Brooks left (21), and Wyatt Brooks right (18), were attacked by a mountain lion on Sat 3/23/24 near Georgetown, CA  in El Dorado County. Sadly, Taylen Brooks did not survive but his brother Wyatt ,who was seriously injured, is expected to make a full recovery.  Story is on youtube.
Play Sacramento!
Post edited by gerald605 on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,849
    Tragic
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,183
    Yep
    just saw

what a terrible incident

rip 

Hope surviving brother makes as best a recovery 
  • Options
    Travels WithTravels With Posts: 550
    I live in a small town in the Sierra Nevadas - about 40 miles from Georgetown.  On Saturday night after work I went on an 8 mile run on a pretty rural mountain trail.  I didn't see anyone else, it was dark the last 2 miles of my run (and my headlamp died).  Sunday morning I saw this in the news.  Definitely got me thinking...maybe I should run in the mountains by myself at night.  This is story is tragic.  And to think that a cat would attack two grown males -- shocking.  
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Options
    I live in a small town in the Sierra Nevadas - about 40 miles from Georgetown.  On Saturday night after work I went on an 8 mile run on a pretty rural mountain trail.  I didn't see anyone else, it was dark the last 2 miles of my run (and my headlamp died).  Sunday morning I saw this in the news.  Definitely got me thinking...maybe I should run in the mountains by myself at night.  This is story is tragic.  And to think that a cat would attack two grown males -- shocking.  
    ...and I'm assuming two grown ARMED males since they were shed hunting. Please be careful if you trail run.
    Play Sacramento!
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,483

An "expert" on the news suggested they might have picked up some antlers and the mountain lion (which was barely old enough to hunt on its own) could have mistaken the two men for deer.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,371
    gerald605 said:
    ...and I'm assuming two grown ARMED males since they were shed hunting. Please be careful if you trail run.
    Why would they be armed if they were looking for antlers that had been shed?
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,849
    gerald605 said:
    Shed hunting is just looking for antlers. No gun needed. So sad all around. Love to you all
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    gerald605 said:
    Shed hunting is just looking for antlers. No gun needed. So sad all around. Love to you all
    Oh I see. I thought it was hunting within a canvas type of thing. Thx for clearing it up. I'd still probably do that armed. I have family/friends in garden valley (close to Georgetown) and we talk about mountain lion sitings often.
    Play Sacramento!
  • Options
    bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 713
    RIP
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,371
    gerald605 said:
    Loujoe said:
    gerald605 said:
    Oh I see. I thought it was hunting within a canvas type of thing. Thx for clearing it up. I'd still probably do that armed. I have family/friends in garden valley (close to Georgetown) and we talk about mountain lion sitings often.
    This tragedy notwithstanding, a mountain lion is extremely unlikely to attack a human. Such incidents are exceedingly rare. You don't want to go off and panic and shoot a specially protected species that has enough challenges of its own. Ironically, one of the things to do if you come across a mountain lion while hiking is to make like the Stickman on the victim's shirt by raising your arms over your head to make yourself appear bigger.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.