Calling all Gearheads....Amp advice

Bird888Bird888 Posts: 99
edited June 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just started to play guitar again after about 20year layoff. My youngest son has been playing about 3 years now, and inspired me.

I picked up a Reverend Rocco guitar and love it. My question...any recomendations for a good versitale Amp around $500 or less. I will not be playing gigs, so I just need something to play in the house with my son. He has a Fender Amp. I will be playing mostly rock. PJ and related, some distortion, etc.

I appreciate all help.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
ride" ! Unknown

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by Bird888
    I just started to play guitar again after about 20year layoff. My youngest son has been playing about 3 years now, and inspired me.

I picked up a Reverend Rocco guitar and love it. My question...any recomendations for a good versitale Amp around $500 or less. I will not be playing gigs, so I just need something to play in the house with my son. He has a Fender Amp. I will be playing mostly rock. PJ and related, some distortion, etc.

I appreciate all help.

why don't you check out the Reverend site.

http://www.reverenddirect.com/

they make some nice tube amps for around $500 (HELLHOUND or newer model)

Other than that. Fender and Marshall both make excellent amps in that price range you'd like.

From Fender look at the Hot Rod Deluxe. From Marshall The DSL 40 and AVT series.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • solsurfrsolsurfr Posts: 207
    Originally posted by Bird888

I appreciate all help.

If you want to try something cutting edge, try the Line6 Flextone III. All the effects and amp models you'll ever need in a cool boutique-style cabinet. Riks Music will give you a great price also.

http://www.riksmusic.com/line6/flextone3.htm
    Originally posted by DissidentBand
    If you want to try something cutting edge, try the Line6 Flextone III. All the effects and amp models you'll ever need in a cool boutique-style cabinet. Riks Music will give you a great price also.

http://www.riksmusic.com/line6/flextone3.htm

If you're going with line 6 I recommend the DUOTONE.

It was an overlooked amp from line 6 out side of their normal target market and it was sensational. You can get those for less than 500 bucks now because many people didn't take the time to notice how excelent it was partly because you look in the back and it has no glowing glass it does a damn good job though impersonating the sound regardless better than most digital modelling amps including many of Line 6's own creations.

It's essentially dual preamps so you can use a model of say a 65 Twin for your clean side and a 69 Marshall head for your distorted sounds. Overall it's one of the most simple intuititive and useable Line 6 amps I've ever played. For 500 bucks or less you can't beat it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    If you're going with line 6 I recommend the DUOTONE.

Actually, it's Duoverb. My buddy has the 2x12 combo and it's a great deal, if you can still find one. It's not supported by L6 anymore though. With the Flextone III, you will get support and they will continue to enhance the software with better tones and the Flextone III is loaded with effects. The Duoverb has none. It might have reverb but I can't remember. You can also control the Flex III using Line6 Edit via midi to your PC. You'll gain control over many other settings that cannot be accessed otherwise. For $500, the flextone III is a great amp. THe Duoverb is nice too but it is limited in support but it also has the 2 amps at once feature which is pretty cool too.
    Originally posted by DissidentBand
    Actually, it's Duoverb. My buddy has the 2x12 combo and it's a great deal, if you can still find one. It's not supported by L6 anymore though. With the Flextone III, you will get support and they will continue to enhance the software with better tones and the Flextone III is loaded with effects. The Duoverb has none. It might have reverb but I can't remember. You can also control the Flex III using Line6 Edit via midi to your PC. You'll gain control over many other settings that cannot be accessed otherwise. For $500, the flextone III is a great amp. THe Duoverb is nice too but it is limited in support but it also has the 2 amps at once feature which is pretty cool too.

Ah, I did not realize it was no longer supported, and it's DUOVERB right. The Duoverb was aimed at the tube amp or nothing crowd that detests digital effects. The rest of line 6's line up is pretty much completely opposite. They do make nice stuff and the Vettas are amazing if you need all that. They are reliable as well one reason they are still around and Digitech abandoned that horrid Johnson (Digitech 2112) platform. I sold about 5 Milleniums only to have them all return with mechanical problems, the Line 6's are getting easier to operate as well. I remember the grid system on the old AX212's. The Vetta's and Flextones are much easier to operate.

The Flextones will pretty much provide anytone you need especially with the extension cabs and they are very nice amps if that's your thing. I personally think the models are what sells Line 6 they still need a lot of work on thier modulation effects. The delay is nice (I own a DL-4) but you can find much better modulation elsewhere. Probably why I like the Duoverb so much.

Duotone is a Hughes and Kettner line I believe sorry.
    Ah, I did not realize it was no longer supported, and it's DUOVERB right. The Duoverb was aimed at the tube amp or nothing crowd that detests digital effects. The rest of line 6's line up is pretty much completely opposite. They do make nice stuff and the Vettas are amazing if you need all that. They are reliable as well one reason they are still around and Digitech abandoned that horrid Johnson (Digitech 2112) platform. I sold about 5 Milleniums only to have them all return with mechanical problems, the Line 6's are getting easier to operate as well. I remember the grid system on the old AX212's. The Vetta's and Flextones are much easier to operate.

The Flextones will pretty much provide anytone you need especially with the extension cabs and they are very nice amps if that's your thing. I personally think the models are what sells Line 6 they still need a lot of work on thier modulation effects. The delay is nice (I own a DL-4) but you can find much better modulation elsewhere. Probably why I like the Duoverb so much.

Duotone is a Hughes and Kettner line I believe sorry.

Yah, the DV's were targeted for the tube purists with their own effects. It was a good concept but not enough audience to maintain. I use to own the Flex II Plus before I sold and upgraded to the Flex III Plus which I absolutely love. I use it mainly for rehearsals but I'm thinking of using it for my next gig. I also own the HD147 from Line6 which is basically the 300watt Head version of the Flex III but with more hi-gain models. For the money, you can't beat a Line6. I wish I had the money to own all the boutique tube amps that I love but I don't so therefore I'm a Line6'er. I've been using their gear for 4 years now and probably won't go back but I do get the itch to get a tube amp and simplify but being in a cover band, I like having a lot of options for tone and effects in one rig.
    There are a hell of a lot of people using POD's and POD pro's in the studio now essentially the Flextones without the amplifier.

Have you seen the Atomic slave amp for the POD's?

It's essentially a tube power amp that you can attach any preamp too but the pod fits in the cavity on top.

The HD 147 is good in that they give you enough power to really give the preamp models character. It's not really my thing I guess I'm mainly a purist at heart but I'm not going to poo poo a good thing. Line 6 does what they do very well. If you spend some time and learn the amp and do your own patches you can really pull some awesome tones live or in the studio on those things and you can't beat the XLR cab outs.
    There are a hell of a lot of people using POD's and POD pro's in the studio now essentially the Flextones without the amplifier.

Have you seen the Atomic slave amp for the POD's?

It's essentially a tube power amp that you can attach any preamp too but the pod fits in the cavity on top.

The HD 147 is good in that they give you enough power to really give the preamp models character. It's not really my thing I guess I'm mainly a purist at heart but I'm not going to poo poo a good thing. Line 6 does what they do very well. If you spend some time and learn the amp and do your own patches you can really pull some awesome tones live or in the studio on those things and you can't beat the XLR cab outs.

Yep, I actually think the POD's are L6's biggest hit. I have seen the Atomic Slave but never played thru one. I sometimes get tired of tweaking for a good tone but it seems worth it to me. I love the XLR outs --must have for me also.
  • 2italy2italy Posts: 39
    used gear...i bought a fender princeton amp used that was in great shape. it's 2 channel, solid-state but sounds good. you could get a POD 2.0 too and have all kinds of sounds...
  • Probably the most over looked, but always have great tube tones, is a Peavey Classic 30. 30 watts, all tube, about $350 great tone.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    Originally posted by All Those Yesterdays
    Probably the most over looked, but always have great tube tones, is a Peavey Classic 30. 30 watts, all tube, about $350 great tone.

100% agree. A great purchase. Also the Fender Blues Jr. is another great option for home/practice use and it's tube.
  • Originally posted by All Those Yesterdays
    Probably the most over looked, but always have great tube tones, is a Peavey Classic 30. 30 watts, all tube, about $350 great tone.

That is also a fantastic amp. We record with that all the time. But so far the best sounding tone has been this old Gibson Minuteman that my friend has. Use that with an old Peavey T-60 (which to me is one of the coolest looking and sounding guitars, especially for the cheap price). Can't go wrong!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • triple ctriple c Posts: 35
    if youre gonna be trying all these out, try out a fender blues jr. i think it was around 350 last time i looked? pretty solid. cant go wrong w/ a marshall either i suppose.
  • mojorison_75mojorison_75 Posts: 157
    Fender is pretty much my favorite choice in amps right now. I just love that Fender clean. I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that I love. They are a little over $500 new, but you can find nice used ones pretty easily. That's what I did. I got mine off ebay.

For a new amp under $500 the Blues Jr. would be nice, but it may end up being just a little under powered. Sometimes they are a little dark sounding too, which you may or may not like. I know you are just playing at home, but it's still fun to be able to crank it sometimes.

I havn't really played many marshalls in that range, but I imagine there are some decent choices. I'd like to have a marshall for it's different take on things over my fender. I'd also like to have a Trentino. Maybe one day.

I've never been crazy about peavy amps, but that's just personal preference.

As far as the line 6's go. I've just always felt that all those effects and stuff are a waste of money and time. That energy would be better spent trying to make a better sounding amp. Just give me good ol tube technology with no frills and let me try to do the rest.
    Just to chime in for MIG here.

"What about a vibro champ?"

60's era blackface vibro champs can be routinely found for around 500 bucks and blackface fenders are some of the most saud after amps ever.

You might also look at an Ampeg Super Jet, same premise as the blues jr with tremolo and optional reverb all footswitchable (not available on the blues Jr.)
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Just to chime in for MIG here.

"What about a vibro champ?"

60's era blackface vibro champs can be routinely found for around 500 bucks and blackface fenders are some of the most saud after amps ever.

"Saud after"?

A good ol' Fender Champ, Vibro Champ, Bronco, Princeton, etc. would all be great amps. But unless the thing's a showroom piece, or you know a good tube amp tech, I'd be careful. Vintage tube amps are fussy and need lots of care.

I'd also recommend the Peavey Classic 30, or the Delta Blues 2x10. Both are big enough to gig with, but are small enough for at-home jamming.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    "Saud after"?

A good ol' Fender Champ, Vibro Champ, Bronco, Princeton, etc. would all be great amps. But unless the thing's a showroom piece, or you know a good tube amp tech, I'd be careful. Vintage tube amps are fussy and need lots of care.

I'd also recommend the Peavey Classic 30, or the Delta Blues 2x10. Both are big enough to gig with, but are small enough for at-home jamming.

yeah, saud after (people want them ME INCLUDED however I'd really love a Super Reverb, Deluxe or Vibrolux from that era)

The delta blues 2x10 from peavy gets my vote. I usually see them on sale for around 420 or so. It's a great amp for the money.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    yeah, saud after

I think you're lookin' for "sought after"...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.