Options

R.I. P. David Breashears

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
One of the greats in the world of mountaineer, filmmaker, and writer. David Breashears has died.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    His work is a must see if you have even a passing interest in mountaineering in general and Everest in particular. 
    I have been watching his stuff for years.
    Everest in IMAX is just incredible
  • Options
    His work is a must see if you have even a passing interest in mountaineering in general and Everest in particular. 
    I have been watching his stuff for years.
    Everest in IMAX is just incredible

Well said, B.  Yeah, that Everest film is amazing.  And his book (which I'm guessing you know about) High Exposure is great- one of my favorite climbing books.  Time to read that one again.

High Exposure An Enduring Passion for Everest and Unforgiving Places by David  Breashears  Goodreads
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Crap that is sad. No denying he was one of the dudes that made the world see Everest. And the filmmaking was incredible for the environmental circumstances. RIP DB.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Crap that is sad. No denying he was one of the dudes that made the world see Everest. And the filmmaking was incredible for the environmental circumstances. RIP DB.
    Excellent point about environment.  Breashears was very outspoken about concerns regarding climate change.  I also seem to remember he was active in trying to get trash as well as dead bodies (much harder to do) off of Everest.

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    brianlux said:
    Get_Right said:
    Excellent point about environment.  Breashears was very outspoken about concerns regarding climate change.  I also seem to remember he was active in trying to get trash as well as dead bodies (much harder to do) off of Everest.

Never been there and no desire to go, but I am captivated by all Everest stories. He was at the top of storytelling about that place.