Band Practice Space?

LemonYellowSunLemonYellowSun Posts: 90
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I just joined a new band about 3 months ago. We currently practice once a week in our drummer's garage. However this is kind of getting anoying because it is a bit of a drive for everyone and occassionally his mom or dad shuts us down 30 minutes into a mid afternoon practice.

So my question is where can one find a good place to practice? I've heard of many people renting storage space and keeping their gear there in the downtime, which seems like a great idea. The only problem is that most of the places don't seem to have power in the units.....which is essential! Also does anyone know the standard for noise restrictions and such?

Any ideas or feedback is greatly appreciated!
Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    where do you live? profile says so cal, but what town ect..? i used this once place that was a dump but it had all the neccessities and was like 12-14 bucks an hour
  • devendeven Posts: 3
    I live in Singapore (Little dot at the southern most tip of south east asia with 6008 people per square KM) which is sad for a guitarist in a band cause we all live in apartments. Any sound above that of that of normal singing is gonna get the neighbours crawling all over ur ass.

Normally we jam at my place with the volume on the amps toned down in an airconditioned room without drums. This is for writing songs and just sharing ideas. Jamming with drums we do at a jamming studio that we rent for about 6 USD an hour, or in ur case maybe once a week or fortnight at ur drummer's place?

A suggestion, if u intend to just do the guitar and bass parts with the drummer giving his ideas and input why not rotate the jamming location everyweek so everyone get's a chance to host the session and doenst need to leave the house. You will be surprised at the amount of inspiration you get jamming at a different place. :)
    It's okay....It's okayyyy. You don't have to run and hide away
  • deven wrote:
    I live in Singapore (Little dot at the southern most tip of south east asia with 6008 people per square KM) which is sad for a guitarist in a band cause we all live in apartments. Any sound above that of that of normal singing is gonna get the neighbours crawling all over ur ass.

Normally we jam at my place with the volume on the amps toned down in an airconditioned room without drums. This is for writing songs and just sharing ideas. Jamming with drums we do at a jamming studio that we rent for about 6 USD an hour, or in ur case maybe once a week or fortnight at ur drummer's place?

A suggestion, if u intend to just do the guitar and bass parts with the drummer giving his ideas and input why not rotate the jamming location everyweek so everyone get's a chance to host the session and doenst need to leave the house. You will be surprised at the amount of inspiration you get jamming at a different place. :)

he's abolutley right.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    ughh. i'm here in so cal too & of course facing similar problems. there are storage places around here but they're ridiculous...i found an ad in a local music store awhile back for some place offering but they weren't open yet. we're just forced to keep at it like you are pretty much..but are forced to do it sans-drummer a lot of the time unfortunately.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • I live in La Mirada, which is right next to Whittier, La Habra, etc....right on the outskirts of LA county. My old band used to jam in Garden Grove at a placed called sound arena, but we'd prefer something more permanent. I think for now we'll have to work something out to maybe practice in my garage for a bit, then rotate to another garage, just as deven suggested. Appreciate the input though....we are still looking into the storage unit possibility.

Oh and I almost forgot, a shameless plug for my band, Modern Fiction..... check us out at http://www.myspace.com/modernfiction ....Let me know what you think.
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
  • I don't really know. The place the band I helped out with sometimes practiced in an old barn about 5 miles out of town.