Options

2003 had the wildest setlists and the best playing

2»

Comments

• Options
    reedrothchildreedrothchild Posts: 538
    Niko80 said:
    I remember being quite disappointed with Riot Act at the time. I was more of less dead center on the very first row at the Perth show that year. Great show looking back, but for some reason I let my distaste for Riot Act get in the way. A hard to please 22 year old B)
    Yeah we defiantly didn’t realize how good we had it.  RA had a few songs that didn’t really work live but it was and is miles better than any new material since.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    HK103094HK103094 Posts: 26
    of the last 20 years…

Detroit 6/26/03: Ed was pissed at all of the corporate dbags upfront night 1 so on night 2 they played a ton of No Code and Vitalogy. 

This is quite ironic when one considers the backlash from the high ticket prices on this year´s tour.
    2000 Oslo
    2007 Venezia
    2010 London
    2012 Oslo
    2014 Milano
    2018 Milano
    2018 Krakow
    2019 Barolo (Ed)
    2022 Berlin
    2022 Frankfurt
    2022 Krakow

• Options
    HK103094 said:
    of the last 20 years…

Detroit 6/26/03: Ed was pissed at all of the corporate dbags upfront night 1 so on night 2 they played a ton of No Code and Vitalogy. 

This is quite ironic when one considers the backlash from the high ticket prices on this year´s tour.
    Accurate.  The ticket prices go up and the shows get worse…
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,558
    Yeah the 4 nights at the Spectrum and Hartford, Boston, MSG2 2010 weren’t special enough for replay 🤦🏽‍♂️ 
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    Yeah the 4 nights at the Spectrum and Hartford, Boston, MSG2 2010 weren’t special enough for replay 🤦🏽‍♂️ 
    I was at almost all of those shows.  Really fun to be at and cool setlists if you are looking for rare songs, but there was a lot of rust and not a ton of exciting playing/extending songs. Like I said shows are still fun now but i more or less look forward to catching up with old friends and the music is just a bonus.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,495
    Niko80 said:
    I remember being quite disappointed with Riot Act at the time. I was more of less dead center on the very first row at the Perth show that year. Great show looking back, but for some reason I let my distaste for Riot Act get in the way. A hard to please 22 year old B)
    Yeah we defiantly didn’t realize how good we had it.  RA had a few songs that didn’t really work live but it was and is miles better than any new material since.
    I love Riot Act, but I think I disagree here.  Lots of good material since then.  
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,495
    A ton of great cover songs during this tour. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    Just realized I saw get right five times that tour.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    kosteva2kosteva2 Posts: 286
    Agree w/ the OP.

Spring-Summer '03 was my favorite tour.  Catalog wasn't as diluted w/ the more recent albums.  Good mix of the earlier albums.  Great covers every night.  Great energy every night.  The new arrangements with Boom in the mix really worked.  Band playing at a really high level, probably their tightest since the early days given how much they were playing live.  They really started pushing the show lengths longer this tour.  Not trying to s*it on post-2020 shows but night and day difference listening to these 2003 bootlegs compared to last couple years.  Played all over NA so didn't have to put up with people on the message boards complaining how they never play near them.  

Bunch of hall of fame level shows:  State College, MSG1, Mansfield3.  Even the next tier really good:  Spectrum, Buffalo, Holmdel, many others.  

October '05 another really good tour too.  The Philly '05 still one of my favorite bootlegs.  No album to promote so got some very unique sets every night.
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Haha that’s a wild stat!  You could tell that was going to be one of the songs shelved after the tour was over.
  • Options
    kosteva2 said:
    Agree w/ the OP.

Spring-Summer '03 was my favorite tour.  Catalog wasn't as diluted w/ the more recent albums.  Good mix of the earlier albums.  Great covers every night.  Great energy every night.  The new arrangements with Boom in the mix really worked.  Band playing at a really high level, probably their tightest since the early days given how much they were playing live.  They really started pushing the show lengths longer this tour.  Not trying to s*it on post-2020 shows but night and day difference listening to these 2003 bootlegs compared to last couple years.  Played all over NA so didn't have to put up with people on the message boards complaining how they never play near them.  

Bunch of hall of fame level shows:  State College, MSG1, Mansfield3.  Even the next tier really good:  Spectrum, Buffalo, Holmdel, many others.  

October '05 another really good tour too.  The Philly '05 still one of my favorite bootlegs.  No album to promote so got some very unique sets every night.
    LOVE that Philly show and the Canadian tour that preceded it.  They threw down hard every night.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    mcgruff10 said:
    Haha that’s a wild stat!  You could tell that was going to be one of the songs shelved after the tour was over.
    Yeah it was pretty flat live 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    marumarukomarumaruko Frankfurt / Calgary Posts: 81
    edited March 22
    2003 is the allstar selection of live bootlegs, but I think the tour with the best combination of great setlists, set length, energy from the band and fans was 2016. Every show fantastic. 
    So my personal ranking would be 

2016-2003-2005/6-2018-2013-2014-2022-2023

Special mention for Bogota 2015 which had the best fan sound and interaction I've heard so far. 
    Skipped most of 2008,2009 and 2011 (except Toronto, Lima and Curitiba) because I thought the sound wasn't always as great as in other tours. 
    2000 is great, as well, but something about the mixing isn't really enjoyable to listen deeply. 
    Post edited by marumaruko on
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    This was my favorite tour too. Saw five shows which was the most I ever saw in a year. Not sure how the hell I afforded it because I was only 19. But the band was awesome that year. 

Remember that cool bootleg companion book that came with the fanclub newsletter? 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com