Guitar or amp

oyster jellyoyster jelly Posts: 107
edited September 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey people, I have been playing a Silvertone SS(mock strat) for a few years now on a little crappy amp and was wondering, should I buy a new guitar or a better amp to play the one that I have now. It is a great guitar as I am really in the beginning stages of being any good, but what is the better investment, a new epi sg or a 25watt fender amp that I have been eyeing. I know an amp won't make me a betteer player, but will a new guitar on the same little crap amp make sense? Any insight would be welcome. Thanks.
" A toast to Buffalo...who new it could be so beautiful..." EV 5/2/03

" This one's for the home team...."
Eddie before they broke out Rats 5/12/06

Buffalo 5/2/03
Albany 5/12/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    get both of them.

now.
  • I went through the exact same problem and decided to get the guitar first. But just as soon as I got it I decided to get a new amp as well. Figures.
    "This is a public service annowncement... with guitars!!"
  • I'd get a good amp before getting a good guitar, if you're satisfied with how the current guitar plays. What kind of amp are you looking at? Most every Fender solid-state amp is not going to sound better, just maybe louder. But if it's a good tube-type amp (like a Fender Deluxe/Deluxe Reverb?) then you're set for tone.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Definately get the amp first. An amp change can make a significant impact on your sound. A guitar change can matter too, but I think in your case you would be better served to get the amp.
  • I would definately go the amp first, a great amp can make a terrible guitar sound half decent
  • I went for the guitar first... I am now playing a 1300$ guitar through a 100$ amp. On the other hand I only had an acoustic not an electric so it wasnt so much of an upgrade like yours would be. The prospect of a nice tube amp is very exciting...and very loud
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day