help with effects

oyster jellyoyster jelly Posts: 107
edited January 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys and gals, I am contemplating buying a marshall micro stack, due to lack of funds for a nice 4x12 stack, and see that I will need a few "stompboxes" to go along with it. I don't want too many effects and def. want a wah, ala Hendrix, but am not too knowledged about this subject. Any suggestions as to what I should get, or even your own backline setups. Any suggestions would be welcome.
" A toast to Buffalo...who new it could be so beautiful..." EV 5/2/03

" This one's for the home team...."
Eddie before they broke out Rats 5/12/06

Buffalo 5/2/03
Albany 5/12/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• regarding the wah... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/d=tp?q=dunlop+wah

There are two different Hendrix models...one is just wah and the other is wah and fuzz. I have the 535Q wah and you can get a great Hendrix sound out of that baby as well...along with many other amazing sounds. I guess i'd recommend the 535 because of its versatility.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • thanks, I was looking at that exact model right before I wrote this post. Thanks for the info.

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
  • For a similar price, the Vox wahs are a nice option, too. They tend to have less noise in the mechanism, and have a mellower, more pleasing tone (especially in the nasally "cocked-forward" position).

As for other effects, a phaser or a delay would be a nice option. You can probably make due with the amp's distortion (actually sounds pretty good) and if I remember, it has reverb, too.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • For a similar price, the Vox wahs are a nice option, too. They tend to have less noise in the mechanism, and have a mellower, more pleasing tone (especially in the nasally "cocked-forward" position).

As for other effects, a phaser or a delay would be a nice option. You can probably make due with the amp's distortion (actually sounds pretty good) and if I remember, it has reverb, too.
    MIG - what would you recommend for a delay pedal? It always sounds like people are all about analog, what's the difference between analog and digital delay? In the next few months i hope to be in the market for a delay pedal but really don't know what to go for. I probably won't be able to afford a Boss delay, so any suggestions for a mid-priced delay would be great.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    MIG - what would you recommend for a delay pedal? It always sounds like people are all about analog, what's the difference between analog and digital delay? In the next few months i hope to be in the market for a delay pedal but really don't know what to go for. I probably won't be able to afford a Boss delay, so any suggestions for a mid-priced delay would be great.

Oh boy that is a thread all to its own!

I'll take a stab since no one has answered. But I am sure Pac and MIG will have a really good response for you.

Its not that one is better then the other, just in the last few years its all about analog. Everyone wants boutique and vinatge pedals and vintage sounds. Plus most will agree analog just sounds better, combined with true-bypass and in most cases very high dollar amounts, you get the best tone possible. If you can find an AD-900 grab it, its the cheapest, best sounding analog delay period.
    Otherwise, join the club. The rest are all about 600 and up. Toneczar has the nicest one I have seen and heard, it has a price tag of 625, called the echozar.
    Then there is the Tube Tape Echo, the TTE is about 1200, all tape and all analog and all good.
    Echoplex's sell in working condition for 1000.
    TREX is just ok from what I hear.
    The you have the digitals, I am not a fan, but many pros use them so I guess you could say we all dig their tone :) BOss would be the one to get.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Just for the record the old Ibanez AD9 will be re-released soon, it won't be true bypass, but that can be remedied.

Soon I will have Analogman's guide to vintage effects.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    in a thread about budget, why even mention the high end boutique stuff.

i think a danelectro PB&J would work quite nicely for delay. the only thing it has going against it is it's size.

or an ibanez DE-7.
    exhausted wrote:
    in a thread about budget, why even mention the high end boutique stuff.

i think a danelectro PB&J would work quite nicely for delay. the only thing it has going against it is it's size.

or an ibanez DE-7.

or those old analog DOD's that can be found on Ebay for 30 bones.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • If you want a great one, I have an Ibanez ad9. They've been going for about $150 + used on ebay,,, but this one is 102 bucks right now, and may be a decent deal, and it ends tonight. The battery compartment doesn't work, but delays suck up batteries anyway. If you don't go for it, I will,,, I saw that Robert Keeley snagged one the other day and has a bid on this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41415&item=3775545349&rd=1

Also,,, for consistency's sake, I looked on google for "ibanez ad9" to see when the new ones were coming out,,,look at the third selection down :D :

http://www.google.com/search?q=ibanez+ad9&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

how much do you think the re-issues will go for?

also, how about Danelectro Dan-Echo...those can be found on ebay for pretty cheap i've noticed, those any good?

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    dan-echo's are swell. they are a steal at the prices they're going for on ebay.
    how much do you think the re-issues will go for?

also, how about Danelectro Dan-Echo...those can be found on ebay for pretty cheap i've noticed, those any good?

Dan Echos are cool, and inexpensive, though I'm not man enough for pastel purple.

The reissue AD9's are likely to be pricey, but I hope not over 200. Used the vintage ones can be had for around $150 potentially they could be up to $340 especially if they are using BBD chips which would have to be reproduced as they are no longer made and there are better ways to achieve reverb in TV's now damnit.

analog man builds some hi cut switches and kill switches onto Boss DD's that are cool he uses Jorge Tripps(Way Huge now Line 6 engineer) design.

http://www.analogman.com/dd5.htm
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    For a similar price, the Vox wahs are a nice option, too. They tend to have less noise in the mechanism, and have a mellower, more pleasing tone (especially in the nasally "cocked-forward" position).

i agree on the vox. I never played a dunlop except for a crybaby so i can't compare but i love my vox wah! it's true bypassed, too, stock. No clue if a Dunlop is or not.

I would also second the phaser or delay. what kinds all depends on the type of sound you want.

and god damn MiG, do you have every fucking amp's specs in yer head!?
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Just for the record the old Ibanez AD9 will be re-released soon, it won't be true bypass, but that can be remedied.

I bought it too :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141

i know you asked mig but hey, i've got far too many delay pedals so i know a few things.

some ppl say analog delays sound warmer and can have a nice decay at the end of each repeated note. Some digital ones can do it, like johnsons...i think it's purple(?) echo something, but it's done digitaly instead. Digital is usually a lot cheaper.

The Line 6 DL-4 is real nice but expensive, but it's got so many options, i've argued with myself for well over a year about how i should have one but somehow never gave in.

I had a Boss DD-5 but sold it. It's a great pedal but when you changed between delay times there would be a short pause...you can't just move it and have your sound changed smoothly in a flow. Also with the reverse option it played the original note(s) first, which i hated. The DD-6 fixed teh reverse thing.

I had the Johnson Electronics U.S.A. Echo Analog Delay one but hated it, took it back 2 days later. I guess it could be good for subtle delays, but just not what i was looking for. It's labeled as analog but i read of ppl question how an analog pedal could be so cheap, opened it up and it's digital, but can 'sound' analogish

A Guyatone MD3 It's really small...to be honest i don't need it, only really keep it around cos it can self oscillate, but i think i'm gonna move my phase to after the rack delays and do things that way....

The rest I got from ebay. you can look them up then go here

http://harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/#man

and look up user reviews and prices they paid for them to evaluate. Also their message board has an excellent effects forum as well as other ones.

I have a Digitech PDS20/20 Digital Stereo Chorus/Flanger/Delay. pretty decent pedal, i loved it when i got it but my phase gives me the types of sounds this gave me, minus the delay, when you change the delay time it doesn't break the signal like the DD-5 does. has infinite repeat, i never use it, really and will most likely get rid of it

A Digitech PDS2700 Double Play Delay/Chorus. I loved this pedal dearly. You can open the bottom and adjust the trim pots for delay time and affecting the chorus...it broke, nothing comes through it and the light for the delay side stays on. When you change the delay time it is smooth, unlike the DD-5

I also got 2 rack units for pretty cheap that still work perfectly, just a little beat up.

A Yamaha E1005 analog delay Pretty solid delay has a switch for short or long, then 4 dials for time, modulation, feedback... i read you can open this and adjust the trimpots for the dials but haven't tried.

and a Roland SDE1000 digital delay. This one i'm stil learling as it came with no manual (hey mig i guess this would be the one piece of equipment you don't have committed to memory?), not as basic as the yamaha's few dials you turn. The guy i bought it from threw in a free 2 way foot switch for both the roland and yamaha. it's one where you have to hold it down but still....

it's possible to find good rack units on ebay for the price of a mid pedal type, but there's also some that it would be better to just get a pedal type for that price.

I also have a ART FX-1 multi-effects processor. It's got 30 presets with a more switch so really it's 60. It has some nice stuff on it, too. It can alternate with each side being logner/shorter to give a univibe type feel. Good for the $60 i paid for it but kinda don't like being stuck with just presets

sorry...i just love delay.
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • how are the danelectro series. They are relatively inexpensive but are they worth anything? Musicians Friend has a whole mess of them, but they just usually make me hungry. Anyone have some of these?

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
    how are the danelectro series. They are relatively inexpensive but are they worth anything? Musicians Friend has a whole mess of them, but they just usually make me hungry. Anyone have some of these?

I have a hash browns flanger. It annoys me because it has no level control.
  • TavTav Posts: 63
    When you say Micro Stack do you mean the new model based on the MG series solid state circuits? Perhaps you'd be better going digital and trying something good from Line 6...not the spiders but one of the slightly more expensive amps...duo tone or such like? When you add in the savings you make on stomp boxes they are great value plus they do sound great! http://www.line6.com so many amps, cabs, effects and what not it'll keep you going for a long time.

Personally I'd stay away from the micro stack if it's the solid state MG based model. Solid state isn't really "it" for sound and you'll probably find yourself wanting to upgrade in the not too distant future <unless you like that sound/mainly a bed room player>...I prefer the save longer and buy something better option or get something second hand. So many good bargins out there. I picked up an Ibanez bass someone had previously owned for 2weeks and taken back to the shop for about £150/$200 under list price. Plus in America you get some great discounts at your online shops <shakes fist>

How about that DSL401 all tube combo from Marshall...an amp that would give you sounds for a life time with great tube tone? Not as expensive as the full blown half stack but better than the micro...just an idea?
  • El_Kabong wrote:
    and god damn MiG, do you have every fucking amp's specs in yer head!?

I have a wealth of completely useless information.

As far as cheap delay pedals go... the little Danelectro lunchbox pedals are pretty cool. They aren't built to last, but they sound okay, and are certainly cheap. I played a lunchbox Delay pedal a few months ago, and was blown away by the sound.

As far as the standards, the Ibanez AD-9 is the standard analog, the Boss DD-series are the standard digital, and the Line 6 DL-4 is the best of all worlds in one pedal. I'd get a little Dano and save up for a Boss DD-6.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41415&item=3776607203&rd=1
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.