Options

The ‘I just listened to _____ for the first time’ thread

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
Today. Rush. How have I lived almost 46 years and not actually dug into their catalogue? Too long of a story. Began with a record titled 2112. Holy shit folks! Which one do I move on to next? What did have you listened to for the first time today? 
www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    Today. Rush. How have I lived almost 46 years and not actually dug into their catalogue? Too long of a story. Began with a record titled 2112. Holy shit folks! Which one do I move on to next? What did have you listened to for the first time today? 

I know that feeling!  You know a little about the band (or at least have heard of them), you know a lot of people like their music, but somehow you find yourself late to the party.  Just off hand, bands/ artists that this has been the case for me in the last 4 or 5 years include The Feelies, Teenage Fan Club, and Dead Moon.

I'm not a huge Rush aficionado, but I have long liked their LP Hemispheres.  Some great stuff on that one!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,968
    Great thread @2-feign-reluctance. This will inspire me to listen to some new and previously uncharted material this week. 👍
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    Yeah I never got into Rush growing up but my close friend lives in New Hampshire and up they grew up with them! He surprised me with tickets to a tour a bunch of years when they did one of their albums front to back and it was a great show! He knows everything about the band 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    Last summer was the 1st time I got into QOTSA and they’ve been around for a while I was floored at how good they were live! And proceeded to dive into their catalog they have so many great songs. 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,822
    No “just”, but I’m 45, and I didn’t give Tom Petty a chance until after 30. Then it hit me. 
  • Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    Recently got into all of Gram Parson's music from the International Submarine Band and the Flying Burrito Brothers to his solo recordings. 
  • Options
    GB281198 said:
    Recently got into all of Gram Parson's music from the International Submarine Band and the Flying Burrito Brothers to his solo recordings. 
    Gram Parson's is a fucking genius! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    No “just”, but I’m 45, and I didn’t give Tom Petty a chance until after 30. Then it hit me. 
    Same here, knew his popular stuff, all the stuff you hear on radio, I’m 44, so I’d say I was 40 before the penny dropped for me. These days Tom is a very frequent listen. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    This afternoon I am listening to Dead Moon for the first time (thanks, @brianlux) Garage rock vibes! Also, "It's Ok" which I only know from Pearl Jam. Throwing out one for you all to check out. Radio Birdman. My wife Ali introduced me to them when we met and I highly recommend! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    This afternoon I am listening to Dead Moon for the first time (thanks, @brianlux) Garage rock vibes! Also, "It's Ok" which I only know from Pearl Jam. Throwing out one for you all to check out. Radio Birdman. My wife Ali introduced me to them when we met and I highly recommend! 

"I'm in the graaaaaaaaaaaaave yard!" lol,
    Very cool, bud!  Yeah, lots of fun and definitely low fi!  And yes, thank you Pearl Jam for being my Dead Moon gateway!
    Will check out Radio Birdman, thanks!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited March 8
    I just listened to Devo for the first time. Other than the obligatory ‘Whip It’ I’d never heard of their other stuff. It was an Apple Essentials Mix. Really liked a few of the tracks but overall, I’m not sure whether I’d listen long term or go back too regularly. 
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    DissidentRival74DissidentRival74 Six One Five Posts: 150
    I've been listening to the podcast "Family Trips with they Meyers Brothers" and they were always talking about Jeff Tweedy and Wilco.  I knew the name Wilco, but never heard (that I know of) a single song by them.  Started listening to them yesterday and now I am truly bummed that I didn't start listening to them back in the 90's.  Really digging their stuff.  Love the live album Kicking Television - and REALLY love the stuff they did with Billy Braggs - the Mermaid Ave albums. Feel so stupid being so late to the game with this one.....
    "I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."
  • Options
    I've been listening to the podcast "Family Trips with they Meyers Brothers" and they were always talking about Jeff Tweedy and Wilco.  I knew the name Wilco, but never heard (that I know of) a single song by them.  Started listening to them yesterday and now I am truly bummed that I didn't start listening to them back in the 90's.  Really digging their stuff.  Love the live album Kicking Television - and REALLY love the stuff they did with Billy Braggs - the Mermaid Ave albums. Feel so stupid being so late to the game with this one.....
    YES!!! Sky Blue Sky should be your next listen! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I just listened to Devo for the first time. Other than the obligatory ‘Whip It’ I’d never heard of their other stuff. It was an Apple Essentials Mix. Really liked a few of the tracks but overall, I’m not sure whether I’d listen long term or go back too regularly. 
    I need to listen to the rest of their stuff too. I think I’m going to go down an 80s rabbit hole! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,866
    ^Listen to Gut Feeling from Devo. What does it sound like....
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Don’t Fear The Reaper 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,822
    I second Blue Sky Blue, and I’m a A Ghost is Born fan 
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Don’t Fear The Reaper 
    Ok. Will listen again. I was thinking a pj song.
  • Options
    Devo > 
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    I can hear some connections! Admittedly I suck at making those on my own. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I just listened to Blues Traveler 4. Never listened to the entire thing. Wow! So good! I followed that with Spin Doctors Pocket Full of record and man, not digging the other stuff outside their 2 popular songs. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Spin Doctors did not age well for me. Fun at the time. Linked to a good time in my life. I can picture a girl I liked singing along to that princess song. 'So go ahead now'. I never did...
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,957
    Loujoe said:
    Spin Doctors did not age well for me. Fun at the time. Linked to a good time in my life. I can picture a girl I liked singing along to that princess song. 'So go ahead now'. I never did...
    I remember seeing the Spin Doctors, Soul Asylum, and Screaming Trees tour at Merriweather in 1993. Screaming Trees were the opener. Spin Doctors headlined. It should have been the other way around. 
  • Options
    edited March 9
    Loujoe said:
    Oh yeah I hear it for sure. 

Got a gut feeling / Got Some if you need it. 
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    YES!!! Sky Blue Sky should be your next listen! 
    sounds like a plan - pulling it up now
  • Options
    I second Blue Sky Blue, and I’m a A Ghost is Born fan 
    Gave both of those a couple spins each - really liked both of them. Leaning more towards A Ghost is Born as well, but definitely glad both albums have entered into my realm of albums I really dig. Appreciate the suggestions. Plan on checking out the rest of the catalog throughout the next week or so and looking forward to doing so!
  • Options
    Peter Gabriel…So (complete album). 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14