noise reducer

oyster jellyoyster jelly Posts: 107
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey, I have another question before I buy. Should I go with a MXR ZW-44 Wylde Overdrive OR a Boss SD-1 SUPER Overdrive AND a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor? I will be running them through a Marshall Micro Stack 15W with a chorus and wah pedal. The Wylde OD is $99.99 and the Boss OD is $49.99 and Boss noise supp. is $79.99. What do you all think is the better deal and do I really need a noise suppressor? Thanks.
" A toast to Buffalo...who new it could be so beautiful..." EV 5/2/03

" This one's for the home team...."
Eddie before they broke out Rats 5/12/06

Buffalo 5/2/03
Albany 5/12/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    skip the NS-2. see how the rest of the set-up behaves first.

i used to try to tame things with gates but i just don't like the way they behave.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    you'd have to play them and judge for yourself.

value wise you are paying a bit for the name on the MXR.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Do you think that the NS-2 is pointless or just a personal thing?

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
    Do you think that the NS-2 is pointless or just a personal thing?

just a personal thing. i found other, fairly extreme ways to quite my signal. but i also work in an electrical noisy hellhole so my hand was forced.

i just don't like the decay characteristics of noise gates.

the NS-2 is the potentially solution to a problem. it's not something that should be built into a rig by default in my opinion.
  • exhausted wrote:
    just a personal thing. i found other, fairly extreme ways to quite my signal. but i also work in an electrical noisy hellhole so my hand was forced.

i just don't like the decay characteristics of noise gates.

the NS-2 is the potentially solution to a problem. it's not something that should be built into a rig by default in my opinion.
    Yea, your right. I guess I will save some cash and see what kind of noise I get when I get it all set up. Then if need be, I can get the NS-2. Thanks.

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
    Do you think that the NS-2 is pointless or just a personal thing?

the main place for a noise gate (outside of internal use in some effects) is on stage.

Lots of metal guys use them mainly because they have super hot pickups and they run all the gain on maximum all the time. When you are in that close proximity to so many speakers and you have gigantic amounts of feedback you can use the noise suppressor to kill that unwanted shrillness when you are not playing. Essentially for most of us it's a waste and a tone sucker.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Since the NS-2 is out, what do you suggest I replace it with ;)

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
    high quality cables and plugs.
  • exhausted wrote:
    high quality cables and plugs.
    Suggestions.... sorry if I seem like a dumb ass, but I like to get as many oppinions on things and personal preferences as possible so as to spend my hard earned cash wisely.

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
    Suggestions.... sorry if I seem like a dumb ass, but I like to get as many oppinions on things and personal preferences as possible so as to spend my hard earned cash wisely.

George L's is my favorite cable.
  • Thanks guys, I appreciate all the advice and suggestions.

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
    george l's or planet waves. those are the two defaults i guess. i see lots of people use george l's for the inter pedal connections and planet waves for the guitar -> pedals & pedals -> amp connections.
  • I never get tired of suggesting a PHASER PEDAL.
    Mmm ... i love those things.

Mine is a Ibanez PT-707 Phase Tone II that has been moded for true bypass and had the tone pots adjusted to give it more of a lesley warble than all out phase ...

I may look in to getting ANOTHER PHASE pedal ... something substantialy more pronounced ... maybe the EVH MXR Phase pedal ... or god only knows ...

Another classic tone would be an OCTAVE pedal ...
    see good ones like
    The Menatone Chawbox or
    Homebrew Electronics U.F.O (ultimate fuzz octave)

Just my opinions ... obviously which pedals you get will be totally dependent on WHAT SOUND YOU ARE AFTER.

Most sounds can be had with a setup consisting of not much more than:
    Phaser
    Chorus\Flanger
    Compressor\Limiter
    Distortion\Overdrive\Fuzz
    Delay\Reverb
    Octave Divider
    Wah Wah Pedal

and that is about the end of that.
    If your guitar sucks at putting out treble, or if you are dying to get the whine like Clapton or Queen than a
    Tone or Treble Boost pedal like the Beano or Rangemaster would be a good addition.

Let us know if you decide to get any crazier than all that.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?