Options

****The Countdown Is On!!!! The Official Atlanta 1994 30th-Anniversary Discussion Thread****

YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,511
edited March 3 in The Porch
April 3rd, 1994.  Fox Theater.  Atlanta, Georgia.  You know where you were.  You remember it like it was yesterday.  Trying desperately to tape the show off the radio with your gosh darn 60-minute Maxell audio tapes (30 minutes each side) when you really needed the 120-minute Maxell tapes.  Ah, the memories.

Highlights include:

WMA with Doug Pinnick from King's X

Live debut of Satan's Bed

Release opener and Indifference closer

Broadcast live all over the world, this live radio broadcast of Pearl Jam's concert in Atlanta, Georgia still lives on in the memories of fans today.

Setlist:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-jam/1994/fox-theater-atlanta-ga-1bd65d94.html

Please discuss and let's celebrate the 30th Anniversary of this broadcast.
Post edited by YourDirtisMyfood on

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    Remember the thrill of coming across the Dissident single back in the 90's'? These days we're all spoiled to have hundreds of official bootlegs, dozens of top-quality soundboards (including this show), and even an entire Pearl Jam radio station. But back in say 1996? To find this single, with SEVEN LIVE PEARL JAM SONGS ON IT, was as good as it gets. A LIVE VERSION OF EVEN FLOW ON CD?!?!?!

Now, if you went my desktop computer and searched for "Even Flow," there'd be like 600 matches. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,152
    Nice OP! I totally was stressed on my 60 minute tapes! Took two and half or 3 if I remember.  Unfortunately lost them or got rid of them after paying $50 for a soundboard quality bootleg at Criminal Records next to Junkman’s Daughter in Little Five Points. Still have that boot. It’s awesome.

Show has a killer Sonic Reducer and early Betterman and Whipping!

And come on, that version of Porch? EPIC!

Coincidentally, I’m listening to it on Nugs today, right in the middle of the big Porch jam. What a show.
  • Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,391
    Good timing with starting this thread, I just ordered the Vault vinyl from that store a couple of days ago!

When I first discovered the band in 2002 this was one of the firstive shows I heard and it blew me away. 

The intensity and focus of those 1994 shows still overwhelms me to this day. 

Ed's voice was shot to hell a mere one year later but here it's just perfect. Power, restraint, control. He had it all. 
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    Who else titled Satan's Bed debut as Already In Love when writing down the songs off the radio for our recordings?
  • Options
    that Deep is wickeddddddd
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,911
    A vault video release this needs be. 
  • Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,391
    demetrios said:
    They released the clip of Sonic Reducer so we know they filmed some of the show. 
    They should just release what they have, even if it's not the full show! 
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    The GREATEST concert ever performed, by any band, in history. 
    I truly believe that. 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,240
    Nice OP! I totally was stressed on my 60 minute tapes! Took two and half or 3 if I remember.  Unfortunately lost them or got rid of them after paying $50 for a soundboard quality bootleg at Criminal Records next to Junkman’s Daughter in Little Five Points. Still have that boot. It’s awesome.

Show has a killer Sonic Reducer and early Betterman and Whipping!

And come on, that version of Porch? EPIC!

Coincidentally, I’m listening to it on Nugs today, right in the middle of the big Porch jam. What a show.
    Criminal Records is an amazing store. I've visited maybe 3-4 times on trips from the UK and always left with a lighter wallet and much heavier checked baggage! 

This was a killer show. Didn't buy the vault vinyl but will pick up the FLAC files from nugs.
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    There were no sponsors. We don’t need any f@cking sponsors.
  • Options
    I remember I rode my bike with friends from school for an hour into the next bigger city, headed to a flea market where a seller was selling CDs and bootlegs. Got ‘jammin in Atlanta’ or whatever it was called. And I remember it like yesterday how the sound quality of the first track ‘release’ and the intensity made my jaw drop. 

Absolute favorite bootleg (although it missed the encore). Added vault als Download some years ago and then the vinyl. Absolute highlight!
  • Options
    We’ll be on the stools. You all will be on the stools. Tomorrow morning open up your history books to see why it’s an important day. Tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 278
    I was 15 living just outside of Chattanooga, TN. On clear nights, I could attach my radio antenna to my metal window frame and pick up 99X. 45 now and my 15 year old son loves to listen to the yellow Maxwell tapes I still have. One of my favorite memories and mementos not only of Pearl Jam but of my childhood. 
  • Options
    (Insert sound of ping pong playing)
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,240
    I remember hustling home to my apartment after Easter dinner with the family to set up to tape it off the radio. Waiting for the ideal moment to flip the cassette over without missing anything. Then trying to figure out names for the yet unreleased songs when labeling the track list on the cassette. (got Whipping and Better Man right but labeled Satan's Bed as "Already in Love").
    That version of Sonic Reducer was fantastic.
    Was just a week before I was set to see them for the first time (3 nights in a row) in Boston, what a primer.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    ponytd said:
    Who else titled Satan's Bed debut as Already In Love when writing down the songs off the radio for our recordings?
    Yep.
  • Options
    I was 15 living just outside of Chattanooga, TN. On clear nights, I could attach my radio antenna to my metal window frame and pick up 99X. 45 now and my 15 year old son loves to listen to the yellow Maxwell tapes I still have. One of my favorite memories and mementos not only of Pearl Jam but of my childhood. 
    Awesome story! Loved 99X! They just brought that station back with two of the original morning show people. 
  • Options
    one month!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    edited March 3
    Yep I can remember bouncing around my house listening to the radio broadcast of it and being totally pumped that I was going to see them in that secret show in manhattan a few days later! I was exhausted afterwards 😎
    I had been in 10C for exactly a year I joined April 1993 
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,911
    The Rock said:
    demetrios said:
    They released the clip of Sonic Reducer so we know they filmed some of the show. 
    They should just release what they have, even if it's not the full show! 

Yes please. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,221
    Remember the thrill of coming across the Dissident single back in the 90's'? These days we're all spoiled to have hundreds of official bootlegs, dozens of top-quality soundboards (including this show), and even an entire Pearl Jam radio station. But back in say 1996? To find this single, with SEVEN LIVE PEARL JAM SONGS ON IT, was as good as it gets. A LIVE VERSION OF EVEN FLOW ON CD?!?!?!

Now, if you went my desktop computer and searched for "Even Flow," there'd be like 600 matches. 

Yah, I encountered the cardboard one, that had room for 2 more discs, and i'm like where are the other two discs and I couldn't find them anywhere.   This was in the very early day of the interent when I discovered it (so a few years after it came out) and found cdnow which used to sell cd's over Telnet (before the world wide web got better), and managed to do my first internet ordering from them.

Was so stoked to get discs 2 and 3, and spin the crap out of them.
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,640
    My first time seeing PJ was only a few days after this Atlanta show, 4/6/94 in Springfield MA. The energy was insane. It’s why I got hooked.

About a week later there was a 10C only show at the Paramount Theatre under MSG in NYC.  I wasn’t in 10C yet but I won tix by calling in 📞 to Z100 Radio. Later that month they sent me the 4/3 Atlanta bootleg in the mail, on CD. 2 discs - I was so psyched, the recording sounded amazing. (and still does)
  • Options
    I got the official WBCN copy of Atlanta 1994 and I still have it somewhere.
  • Options
    I have that also.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    I have that also.
    Were yours red CDs?
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,212
    They are overdue to play Atlanta again.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    I have that also.
    Were yours red CDs?
    Don't think so, will have to double check. (Haven't pulled them out for an eternity.
  • Options

Odd in that they included Yellow Ledbetter as part of the show. Otherwise, it’s definitely the Atlanta show. Loved the bonus tracks back in the day. Had never heard Bee Girl, Dock of the Bay cover, Believe You Me!
  • Options
    I remember getting those boots in the mid 90s and hearing almost soundboard quality songs like Bee Girl as bonus tracks and thought I was in heaven.  I remember hearing Eddie covering the Doors for the first time and just thought holy moly this is fun.  I thought I had a different boot of Atlanta 1994 and it was called "Dissident" but just going off memory.  I'm sure imports had the same show with a different name.