Knobs

oyster jellyoyster jelly Posts: 107
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anybody ever change the knobs on an epi g-310 sg? I want to put some new speed knobs with skulls in the casing but don't want to screw up what I already have. Do you just pull off the knob? Do i need an allen wrench like the manufacturer says, I don't see how one could fit under the knob. Any advice would be greatly welcomed. Thanks.
" A toast to Buffalo...who new it could be so beautiful..." EV 5/2/03

" This one's for the home team...."
Eddie before they broke out Rats 5/12/06

Buffalo 5/2/03
Albany 5/12/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Any guitar for that matter. I'm sure they are pretty much all the same to change.

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    It's pretty basic. The knob just sits on a toothed-spindle, and you just pull the knob straight away from the body off the spindle of the pot. Some knobs lock onto the spindle using a small Allen screw on the side of the knob, but most just use friction and lock into the spindle teeth. You may want to use a small screwdriver to help pry up the knob if it's super-flush to the body and really tight, but most you can just pull off pretty easy. One quick note: When you have the knob off, take a sec and tighten down the pot nut. They can work loose over time, and it's just a good idea to make sure it's tight.

I just put Fender blackface-style amp knobs on my most recent Tele, and they look great... it really is the little things...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Thanks for the info. I really like the look of these skull knobs. Like you said, it's the little things...

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06