Starting bass

oyster jellyoyster jelly Posts: 107
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey, some friends of mine need a bass player so since I know a little guitar, they asked me to try bass. Alot different I know but seems that it should be a relatively reasonable switch. Anyone else ever switch from guitar to bass and if so, suggestions and tips are always welcome.
Thanks....
" A toast to Buffalo...who new it could be so beautiful..." EV 5/2/03

" This one's for the home team...."
Eddie before they broke out Rats 5/12/06

Buffalo 5/2/03
Albany 5/12/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Reddie VReddie V Posts: 3
    I made the switch years ago, pretty much for the same reason as you, and I've found that you're one up on heaps of bass players form the point of view that you know chords, and if you know what notes make the chords you can be a little more adventurous than playing the root note!

Depending on the style of the music, using a pick is good when you're starting out, I did that, now it's pretty much exclusively fingers. There is a difference in your attack, and it suits what I'm doing now.

Not sure if that'll help, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask, hopefully I can answer them.

Bass players unite!!
  • Yes, from a bass player to you.

Put the pick down. You do not need it.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Yes, from a bass player to you.

I'll second that. I started out on guitar, and quickly switched to bass. I never used a pick. It really boxes you in. You can't do half as much stuff with a pick.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
    Yes, from a bass player to you.

Ignore this. Many bass players are steadfast fingers only players. When it comes to it, choose which one suits the style of play YOU want to play, in both technique and sound. And remember, you don't just have to use one or the other.

Personally, I play a lot of punk and grunge, and depending on the song dictates which method i will use.
  • Switch wrote:
    Ignore this. Many bass players are steadfast fingers only players. When it comes to it, choose which one suits the style of play YOU want to play, in both technique and sound. And remember, you don't just have to use one or the other.

Personally, I play a lot of punk and grunge, and depending on the song dictates which method i will use.

Easy bud. The pick has it's place. People just seem to get pick dependent and forget all about playing with their fingers or thumb.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• oyster jellyoyster jelly Posts: 107
    Thanks for the input. Do you have any practice techniques or know of any good websites to help me out? I am really excited to start. I've bought a used 5 string Winaroo(?) for cheap as I won't invest until I know if I will really be capable of playing. I am not the greatest guitarist in the world so I am ready for a new challenge!

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
    Thanks for the input. Do you have any practice techniques or know of any good websites to help me out? I am really excited to start. I've bought a used 5 string Winaroo(?) for cheap as I won't invest until I know if I will really be capable of playing. I am not the greatest guitarist in the world so I am ready for a new challenge!

Practice techniques? Well, this is where i agree with putting the pick down. When i got my bass i forgot to buy a pick and had to use my fingers, and i'm glad i did. This way i can appreciate both styles and, like the poster above said, i don't just play with a pick and ignore other ways to play. It may seem weird to start if you come from guitar, but you'll soon sort it; speed and accuracy will take time to develop however.

Although a pick may be an easier switch, especially to get into a quick band situation, however, there's not much point in picking up an instrument if you arn't going to enjoy it. And if you do pick it up for the band, and don't like it, maybe you should consider sticking to the instrument YOU like best.

cyberfretbass.com is pretty sweet for learning some stuff, but if you can get a cheap learn bass book, it won't teach you everything, but if you learn the licks and riffs in it it does tend to be helpful. http://www.guitarlodge.com/forums/guitar-bass/index.php is also extremely helpful and useful for both beginners and experienced players.

Most importantly, enjoy it! It does kinda sound like you gonna pick it up primarily for the band situation but please do make sure you enjoy playing bass. It IS a great instrument.
  • PearlerPearler Posts: 191
    traditionally, the bass has only 4 strings.... how hard can it be.

sheesh.
    Pearler wrote:

sheesh.
    Mine has five.

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
    sheesh.

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
  • PearlerPearler Posts: 191
    I did say 'traditionally'...

But yours must be one of those fancy, new age hybrid jobbies... designed for bassists that seek a challenge !!

sheesh !!
    Switch wrote:
    Practice techniques? Well, this is where i agree with putting the pick down. When i got my bass i forgot to buy a pick and had to use my fingers, and i'm glad i did. This way i can appreciate both styles and, like the poster above said, i don't just play with a pick and ignore other ways to play. It may seem weird to start if you come from guitar, but you'll soon sort it; speed and accuracy will take time to develop however.

Although a pick may be an easier switch, especially to get into a quick band situation, however, there's not much point in picking up an instrument if you arn't going to enjoy it. And if you do pick it up for the band, and don't like it, maybe you should consider sticking to the instrument YOU like best.

cyberfretbass.com is pretty sweet for learning some stuff, but if you can get a cheap learn bass book, it won't teach you everything, but if you learn the licks and riffs in it it does tend to be helpful. http://www.guitarlodge.com/forums/guitar-bass/index.php is also extremely helpful and useful for both beginners and experienced players.

Most importantly, enjoy it! It does kinda sound like you gonna pick it up primarily for the band situation but please do make sure you enjoy playing bass. It IS a great instrument.

I understand your response, though it may seem that I am doing it for the band, I am also really interested in learning a new instrument. I have been watching and listening to Cliff Burton for some time now and was even lucky enough to see him live back in the day. He was a beast on bass and I really want to try and emulate his style. So, no, I am not doing it for other people, but myself.

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
    Pearler wrote:
    I did say 'traditionally'...

But yours must be one of those fancy, new age hybrid jobbies... designed for bassists that seek a challenge !!

sheesh !!
    Well if I wanted a challenge I would have gotten a six string...

with a bell on it, and fancy tassles.

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
    I understand your response, though it may seem that I am doing it for the band, I am also really interested in learning a new instrument. I have been watching and listening to Cliff Burton for some time now and was even lucky enough to see him live back in the day. He was a beast on bass and I really want to try and emulate his style. So, no, I am not doing it for other people, but myself.

Heh, now i re-read your posts i can begin to see that. I was drunk-ish when i posted before and didn't pay as much attention as i should have.
    Switch wrote:
    Heh, now i re-read your posts i can begin to see that. I was drunk-ish when i posted before and didn't pay as much attention as i should have.
    No harm, I appreciate your posts and your help.

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    I write all my tunes with my fingers because I'm much more accurate but I can play them all with a pick. I find the pick to be a bit restricting, but at the same time there are techniques you need a pick for (like palm muting).

I say start playing with your fingers. You may be a little slow since the scale is longer and the strings are heavier. I figure while you're grasping that, you should work on your fingers so they build up while you're not great at both. I started using a pick about a year into my playing and it was so difficult being skilled in my fret hand and poor in my pick hand.

My two cents.

Oh, and check out some Les Claypool. That guy makes me wanna quit ;)
    danny72688 wrote:
    I write all my tunes with my fingers because I'm much more accurate but I can play them all with a pick. I find the pick to be a bit restricting, but at the same time there are techniques you need a pick for (like palm muting).

I say start playing with your fingers. You may be a little slow since the scale is longer and the strings are heavier. I figure while you're grasping that, you should work on your fingers so they build up while you're not great at both. I started using a pick about a year into my playing and it was so difficult being skilled in my fret hand and poor in my pick hand.

My two cents.

Oh, and check out some Les Claypool. That guy makes me wanna quit ;)
    I like Les too. Plays some funky grooves. My name is Mudd. I'm gonna listen to some Primus now....

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
    I like Les too. Plays some funky grooves. My name is Mudd. I'm gonna listen to some Primus now....
    Lacquer Head
    How the hell does he come up with this shit? I wish I could write like that.
    danny72688 wrote:
    Lacquer Head
    How the hell does he come up with this shit? I wish I could write like that.
    Some people are just born special....

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    The guy that ploays bass for Steve Vai is a complete animal too. Finger player too !!
    Music is not a competetion.
    Can you play a bass through a guitar amp? I saw a vid on you tube of some woman who does it. Or is it a bad idea?

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
  • Pearler wrote:

sheesh.

It doesn't matter how hard it is, or how fast you can play, or how complicated of things you can play. If it has no heart and soul, it's not real.

I only play four string basses. I seen no need for five string basses, but more power to the people that make five string basses work.

Can you play a bass through a guitar amp? I saw a vid on you tube of some woman who does it. Or is it a bad idea?
    That's not a good idea. I should know the specifics but I don't. I think the frequency is different for bass and could blow out you guitar amp. If you have to use it, keep everything (bass, volume, tone, distortion) at a minimal level. I'll look it up and edit this if I'm using the wrong terminology.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    danny72688 wrote:
    That's not a good idea. I should know the specifics but I don't. I think the frequency is different for bass and could blow out you guitar amp. If you have to use it, keep everything (bass, volume, tone, distortion) at a minimal level. I'll look it up and edit this if I'm using the wrong terminology.
    Yeah, I don't know the ins and outs myself, but I've heard the after effects. Putting a bass through a guitar amp will basically wreck the amps sound over a period of time. It's disgusting what comes out then.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
    Yeah, I don't know the ins and outs myself, but I've heard the after effects. Putting a bass through a guitar amp will basically wreck the amps sound over a period of time. It's disgusting what comes out then.
    Yeah that sounds about right.
    However I think the reverse is okay (guitar through a bass amp). But don't quote me on that.
    Guitar through a bass amp works, but is pretty crap.

Bass through a guitar amp sounds ok, if you're just trying to listen to how stuff sounds, but doesn't have the sweet sweet rumble of a proper amp. Just careful how much and how loud you play; you will blow your amp, particularly if it's a small job.
    I'll show you my new bass if I can figure out how.....

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
    O.K I don't know how...I'm a dweeb....

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06