need help with fret buzz

oyster jellyoyster jelly Posts: 107
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a BC Rich Warlock 4 string bass and it has a bad fret buzz. Is this normal for a bass as the strings are longer or should I raise the action a little. It sounds fine through an amp other than some dead spots on the neck. Any help is appreciated.
" A toast to Buffalo...who new it could be so beautiful..." EV 5/2/03

" This one's for the home team...."
Eddie before they broke out Rats 5/12/06

Buffalo 5/2/03
Albany 5/12/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    sounds like your neck needs to be adjusted - but it could also be your action.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Bass due tend to have a little more fret buzz. But shouldn't have any dead spots. Where is it buzzing at?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I tightened the screws on the bridge of my motion bass that's pretty old. I don't know too much about Bass guitar though but that seemed to work wonders.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • You seem sure it's fret buzz. Basses will give you all great types of rattles and buzzing besides frets of course. Tuner gear gets loose, saddles get loose. Must be the frequency thing, I don't run into this in guitars like I do on basses.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    first thing: ry the action. could just need a simple raise.
    if that fails, you probobaly need a neck adjustment
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • oyster jellyoyster jelly Posts: 107
    When I look at the side profile of the neck, it seems the strings are very low. I will try to raise them a touch and see if that helps. I assumed that there would be a bit more noise than a guitar but this seems more than normal to me. As I also stated, it sounds great through an amp so, I don't know. It is just hard to practice w/out it hooked up to an amp and hear what it should sound like with all the buzz. Thanks for all the input.
    " A toast to Buffalo...who new it could be so beautiful..." EV 5/2/03

" This one's for the home team...."
    Eddie before they broke out Rats 5/12/06

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06