Chris Chelios retiring jersey tomorrow

Jordan will be there-  Eddie will probably be there too. 

Comments

• Good for him, a beloved member of the Red Wings, helping us win 2 Cups!

;)
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,156

It will be a big moment for Chelios, whose number retirement was announced by Eddie Vedder at a Pearl Jam concert at United Center on Sept. 8. The 62-year-old grew up in Chicago and spent nine seasons of his 26-season career (1990-99) with the Blackhawks.

• iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Posts: 3,410
    LGRW
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

Cindy Crawford, Theo Epstein and Eddie Vedder try their hands at the Blackhawks' shooting challenge, with Crawford scoring from center ice. https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=39600753

• There's footage of Eddie singing in a bar somewhere downtown apparently.

On the hockey front, safe to say it was a better night for the Red Wings connected Chelios fans than those of a Blackhawks persuasion. =)
  • CC still has her game!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Fun night of hockey and celebrities.  Very cool to hear Chelios’ speech, referring to Eddie and PJ a few times - he is a fan just like us.

LGRW
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,311
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Eddie and Kid Rock played a few jams at the UC after the game. Here’s Eddie starting out Corduroy.

https://x.com/eddiebarstool/status/1761952244306452911?s=46&t=JegDrg2UwnhC6Bc5U6H8LA
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    Eddie and Kid Rock played a few jams at the UC after the game. Here’s Eddie starting out Corduroy.

https://x.com/eddiebarstool/status/1761952244306452911?s=46&t=JegDrg2UwnhC6Bc5U6H8LA
     I hope Ed didn't get on stage with that turd.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    pjhawks said:
    Eddie and Kid Rock played a few jams at the UC after the game. Here’s Eddie starting out Corduroy.

I hope Ed didn't get on stage with that turd.
    I always wondered how this dynamic would work.  They essentially just have Chelios in common.   I know Ed and Chris go back a long way, but Kid Rock and Chris became friends when Chris was in Detroit.  

I know Ed and Kid Rock "performed" together before at a bar/party but it was long before Kid Rock began drinking MAGA Kool-Aid and shooting beers on instagram with his guns.  I only saw 1 shot of Kid Rock at the United Center, and I dont think they were in the same booth as Ed.  
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,398
    Still blows my mind Chicago retired his jersey when all his success was with Detroit.
  • jpgoegeljpgoegel Posts: 412
    Still blows my mind Chicago retired his jersey when all his success was with Detroit.
    chicago kid.

statistically he was far better on the Hawks than the Wings, and spent almost an equal amount between the two.  plus two of his three Norris trophies came with the Hawks (other with MTL).   team success though would go to the Wings part of his career.  
    I wouldnt say ALL his success.  He won a Stanley Cup in Montreal.  Went to the Stanley Cup Final with Chicago. Won 2 of his 2 Norris Trophies with Chicago. (The other being with Montreal)

His best playing days were from probably 88-2002.   9 of those were in Chicago, and a couple of them were Montreal.  I think by the time he got to Detroit, he was not a tope line/point producing defenseman.   On Detroit, he never got more than 39 points in a season.   In Chicago, he never had anything below a 34 point season, but had 4 seasons where he had more than 60 points, two of them being 70 point seasons. 

He is also from Chicago, won a state title for Mt Carmel Hockey, so that adds to some of the reason, being a hometown kid.  

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
    Also, his time on the ice....In Chicago, he was averaging 40 minutes per game at one point.  That went down to around 30 per game his last few season with Chicago, and in Detroit, he dropped to 25 per game, and then ended up in the teens per game.   
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
    edited February 26
    jpgoegel said:
    chicago kid.

statistically he was far better on the Hawks than the Wings, and spent almost an equal amount between the two.  plus two of his three Norris trophies came with the Hawks (other with MTL).   team success though would go to the Wings part of his career.  
    As a wings fan, Chelios was the second best defenseman in Detroit from 1999 until Rafalski came in 2008, no shame in that.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

jpgoegel said:
    chicago kid.

As a wings fan, Chelios was the second best defenseman in Detroit from 1999 until Rafalski came in 2008, no shame in that.
    no lidstrom?  
    jpgoegel said:
    jpgoegel said:
    chicago kid.

no lidstrom?  
    Lidstrom was the best defensemen in Detroit until he retired.  May have misunderstood my previous post
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO

jpgoegel said:
    jpgoegel said:
    chicago kid.

no lidstrom?  
    Lidstrom was the best defensemen in Detroit until he retired.  May have misunderstood my previous post
    i did misunderstand/misread, indeed.  cheers 
    Ed Vedder Chris Chelios After Party Feb 25 2024 Atrium United Center Chicago nunupics 

Ed Vedder The Waiting Feb 25 2024 Chelios Party Feb 25 2024 United Center Chicago nunupics 

Chris Chelios Jerzy Retirement Party Feb 25 2024 United Center Chicago nunupics

• southpsouthp Posts: 293
    I loved every minute of this. As a Habs fan Chelios was always one of my favourites when I was kid. He truly is a legend, and how cool that Eddie and Pearl Jam are linked together with his story.
  • ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 939
    Leave it to Kaner to get the GW goal in OT. Hate seeing him in another uniform. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • southpsouthp Posts: 293
    ZoSoTim said:
    Leave it to Kaner to get the GW goal in OT. Hate seeing him in another uniform. 
    I'm sure it's hard to watch, but as Chelios said, that #88 will be up in the United Center rafters one day