Options

Dolby Atmos Disc Rip Strategy

Sir. PJSir. PJ Posts: 149
edited February 24 in The Porch
Hi y'all,

I'm trying to decide whether to get the Dark Matter deluxe or not. The Dolby Atmos mix is on a Blu-Ray disc indented to be listened to in your home theater (presumably) for those who have a proper atmos setup. Really cool for those who can listen in that way, but I personally listen to music on the go.

For my very favorite artists I still buy CDs and rip them to lossless digital, keeping the CD as a physical backup in case I want to rip to a different digital format later on.

QUESTION:
Would the Blu-Ray Atmos mix transfer at all into a digital spatial audio file ripping it to Apple Lossless, WAV, or FLAC in iTunes?
Is there a specific Dolby codec / file-type that can be saved from disc to computer?
Or...should I download the Apple digital version rather than disc in order to hear the true Atmos mix on headphones?

thanks
Greg

Post edited by Sir. PJ on

Comments

• Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 785
    I’m still pretty new to Dolby Atmos so I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before. How does one experience the sound of Dolby Atmos other than having a nice audio system? Can I hear it through headphones, and if so, I’m guessing they have to be specific headphones as well? 
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,524
    PRL1JAM said:
    I’m still pretty new to Dolby Atmos so I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before. How does one experience the sound of Dolby Atmos other than having a nice audio system? Can I hear it through headphones, and if so, I’m guessing they have to be specific headphones as well? 

This article might help. Yes, you need specific headphones. Apple AirPods have spatial capability, but I'm not sure if they have Atmos capability. This is why it's hard to answer OP's question without knowing what device or headphones they plan on listening with. If it's Apple, then you should probably stick to the Apple download.

• Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 785
    PRL1JAM said:

This article might help. Yes, you need specific headphones. Apple AirPods have spatial capability, but I'm not sure if they have Atmos capability. This is why it's hard to answer OP's question without knowing what device or headphones they plan on listening with. If it's Apple, then you should probably stick to the Apple download.

Awesome! I appreciate the info. I’m going to look into the Apple AirPods this weekend. Thanks again for the reply as well as sharing that link. I’m going to check it out now! 
  • Options
    chalonchalon Posts: 114
    Airpods support “Atmos” but Spatial Audio is simply not nearly as good without real speaker setup for it.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,037
    chalon said:
    Airpods support “Atmos” but Spatial Audio is simply not nearly as good without real speaker setup for it.
    this.

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,858
    If you are only gonna listen to it through headphones, then I suggest you just use the Apple Music Dolby Atmos stream.
  • Options
    edited February 25
    Post edited by darthvedder on
  • Options
  • Options
    mr_perfectmr_perfect Posts: 154
    i can confirm these can indeed be ripped and played as a blu ray-remux file.
  • Options

Yeah, you can rip to a mkv file but is a pc the only way you can play this type of file?
  • Options
    IALauderIALauder Posts: 16
    QUESTION:
    Would the Blu-Ray Atmos mix transfer at all into a digital spatial audio file ripping it to Apple Lossless, WAV, or FLAC in iTunes?

Atmos isn't an actual audio codec.  It's metadata that is transmitted along with other Dolby codecs such as TrueHD, AC-4 or Dolby Digital Plus.  Most streaming services will use Dolby Digital Plus (not lossless) and on the disc it should be TrueHD (lossless).  It will have a base underling multichannel stream but you will not have any of the metadata for height channels.

• Options
    MH143221MH143221 Posts: 37
    Not directly related to your question but I have a Sonos setup that supports Atmos. I am not a fan of the Dark Matter Atmos mix. The low end sounds fucking amazing but they added an echo effect to Ed’s vocals that completely takes me out of the song.
    Charlotte 96
    Greenville 98
    Knoxville 98
    West Palm 00
    Atlanta 03
    MSG 03
    Asheville 04
    Camden 06
    Bonnaroo 08
    Columbia 08
    Atlanta 09 (EV Solo)
    Seattle 09
    Seattle 09
    MSG 10
    MSG 10
    Pensacola 12
    Wrigley 13
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,497
    MH143221 said:
    Not directly related to your question but I have a Sonos setup that supports Atmos. I am not a fan of the Dark Matter Atmos mix. The low end sounds fucking amazing but they added an echo effect to Ed’s vocals that completely takes me out of the song.
    I have original Sonos system… pissed that I can no longer stream my iPhone library or apple music

anyone know a way around that without upgrading to newer Sonos? Main reason I bought to stream those while I play Xbox or have people over

total bs
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,037
    edited February 26
    Really? I have a S1 Sonos system and still play my mp3s from my computer and stream Apple music (not in Atmos, just standard). Have you updated all the speakers?

But yeah, it does suck to not be able to airplay from phones. Though I have a couple of Generation 2 speakers in there so they allow that and I just group them with my older Sonos speakers.
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options

Yeah, you can rip to a mkv file but is a pc the only way you can play this type of file?

Might be able to play it on an Android phone using the VLC Player. 
  • Options
    Rhoaglin73Rhoaglin73 Napa Valley Posts: 3
    edited April 30
    Please disregard
    Post edited by Rhoaglin73 on
  • Options
    dobybluedobyblue Posts: 63

That's from 2021 though, keep in mind the Atmos is NOT lossless (on any streaming platform).
  • Options
    CC55781CC55781 Posts: 26
    Sir. PJ said:
    Hi y'all,

I'm trying to decide whether to get the Dark Matter deluxe or not. The Dolby Atmos mix is on a Blu-Ray disc indented to be listened to in your home theater (presumably) for those who have a proper atmos setup. Really cool for those who can listen in that way, but I personally listen to music on the go.

For my very favorite artists I still buy CDs and rip them to lossless digital, keeping the CD as a physical backup in case I want to rip to a different digital format later on.

QUESTION:
    Is there a specific Dolby codec / file-type that can be saved from disc to computer?
    Or...should I download the Apple digital version rather than disc in order to hear the true Atmos mix on headphones?

thanks
    Greg

Hi Greg, the answer to your question is yes, you can do whatever you wish, but it isn't going to be easy. Most people will opt for the streaming Atmos version and call it a day. 

If you really want to play the Atmos version on the go, you'd rip the disc into an MKV, then convert the MKV into a two channel TrueHD Atmos render using a combination of Music Media Helper ($0) and the Dolby Reference Player ($400), into which ever container you wish (FLAC, WAV, ALAC). I've done it, it works. 

The full 12 channel 7.1.4 TrueHD Atmos playback of Dark Matter is amazing. I wrote about it here - https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/immersive/pearl-jam%E2%80%99s-dark-matter-in-truehd-dolby-atmos-r1267/