Need help with amp purchase.

|-Release-||-Release-| Posts: 90
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey dudes/dudettes. i've been playing guitar for just over two years now and have up until now, been playing a 10W practise amp. i was looking at the Marshall MG30DFX as another amp as it has a really nice, genuine distortion, or so i heard. i am looking for a sound similar to that of ten and vs. also i am goin' for a smashing pumpkins sound from basically any era. i'm also into heavier stuff like muse and alice in chains and soundgarden so it has to have capabilities of being pushed to '11' as it were. i am not looking for a particularly big amp (i just want a better practise amp and have capability for a jam session with a drummer and other guitarists/bassists). my price range go's up to a bit over the price of the MG30DFX so if you have any other suggestions. i would really appreciate them :). thankyou so much for your help.
seems that needlessly its getting harder
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by |-Release-|
    Hey dudes/dudettes. i've been playing guitar for just over two years now and have up until now, been playing a 10W practise amp. i was looking at the Marshall MG30DFX as another amp as it has a really nice, genuine distortion, or so i heard. i am looking for a sound similar to that of ten and vs. also i am goin' for a smashing pumpkins sound from basically any era. i'm also into heavier stuff like muse and alice in chains and soundgarden so it has to have capabilities of being pushed to '11' as it were. i am not looking for a particularly big amp (i just want a better practise amp and have capability for a jam session with a drummer and other guitarists/bassists). my price range go's up to a bit over the price of the MG30DFX so if you have any other suggestions. i would really appreciate them :). thankyou so much for your help.

I just returned the same amp you are looking at, and I was very dissapointed. Check the thread about amp help from 2 weeks ago and you'll find a ton of info that Pac and MIG posted for me. You should look at the Mesa's if you can afford them.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • cheers dude :)..sorry about the amp btw :(
  • parchyparchy Posts: 205
    Here's my advice... sorry if it doesn't help you...

For Combo's, go for Peavy

For cabinets, go Ampeg

For heads, go Gallien Kreuger

That's just my experience, though... I'm sure there are other opinions, but you can't go wrong with any of those...
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by parchy
    Here's my advice... sorry if it doesn't help you...

For Combo's, go for Peavy

For cabinets, go Ampeg

For heads, go Gallien Kreuger

That's just my experience, though... I'm sure there are other opinions, but you can't go wrong with any of those...

gee. bass player by any chance? ;)

have a look at a fender hot rod deluxe.
  • Originally posted by exhausted
    gee. bass player by any chance? ;)

have a look at a fender hot rod deluxe.

hey, i like the looks of that amp, however, seeing as its a tube amp..will it sound ok if i don't have it particularly loud? i do ALOT of my playing in my bedroom so having it really loud is not an option sadly. so, basically, i'm just wondering if it sounds good at any volume?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by |-Release-|
    hey, i like the looks of that amp, however, seeing as its a tube amp..will it sound ok if i don't have it particularly loud? i do ALOT of my playing in my bedroom so having it really loud is not an option sadly. so, basically, i'm just wondering if it sounds good at any volume?

well, it's got the advantage of having a master volume so at least you can turn up the preamp gain and limit the power amp gain. i had one for a few years and lived in an apartment and it was fine. it sounded better at high volume but it sounded better than a solid state at low volume in my opinion.

it's drive channel isn't the greatest but compare it to the marshall if you can. at least it gets you into the tube game.
  • see I agree that the DFX series has an awesome gain to it. I used a dfx 15 at a music store recently and the gain channel sounded amazing compared to say a frontman15r.

I wanna know why whoever said they took it back did so...

sine I thought those amps looked pretty good too.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by MissYouAllDay
    see I agree that the DFX series has an awesome gain to it. I used a dfx 15 at a music store recently and the gain channel sounded amazing compared to say a frontman15r.

I wanna know why whoever said they took it back did so...

sine I thought those amps looked pretty good too.

The DFX series is pretty entry level. Its ok for the money. I could have gotten a lemon, but I found the EFX shabby at best, and the build quality was fair. You just can't compare it to a tube.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • I agree on the Hot Rod Deluxe. Add a Boss DS-1 and you're gonna be fine.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The HRD is now coming in the original gorgeous special editon laquered tweed.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Originally posted by Pacomc79
    The HRD is now coming in the original gorgeous special editon laquered tweed.

Mmmm.... laquered tweed...
  • jodijodi Posts: 183
    going to byu the Marshall MG 15 DFX.. it seems to be a good one...
    There's a light,... when my baby's in my arms...
    And I know she's reached my heart,... in thin air
  • can i suggest you consider buying second hand from ebay. with patience you will find a marshall plexi or mesa or fender twin for an absolute bargain price. you will almost feel bad about paying so little for such hi quality equipment! i did!! just be careful who you buy from and alway check their ratings

Gherk
  • Originally posted by a_gherkin
    with patience you will find a marshall plexi for an absolute bargain price.

Ah.... no you won't.

You can find the reissued plexi copy, but not the real thing...

Real vintage Plexi Marshalls (with the real plexiglass face) are damned expensive.

But used is a good way to find something good. It's just too bad you can't try before you buy on eBay, so if you don't know what you want, it's a bit harder.
  • JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    Yeah you might want to look into the Hot Rod Deluxe. You can get them from ebay cheaper than at any store. I got mine for under just over $400 with shipping. At my local music store they sell for about $799. That's rediculous. I love the Hot Rod Deluxe. It's my first tube amp. The overdrive is more bluesy. you wouldn't play hard rock or anything heavy with it. Like said before just get a good pedal and like MIG says try before you buy.
  • Peavey Classic amps are a good deal, and are similar to the Fender HR amps. The Classic 30 and Classic 50 (two versions of the 50: 2x12" and 4x10") are both worth checking into, and well-priced. They're a little less power than their Fender counterparts (30 and 50 watts versus 40 and 60 watts) but they're still great-sounding loud amps. Used is always a risk... I got a great deal on a Marshall that didn't sound great, I thought it needed new tubes and a bias job (not too expensive) but it turns out it's a blown power transformer (pretty expensive and hard to find). I've had good luck with all my other used purchases, but you get burned once and learn your lesson.

Speaking of which... I have a used Marshall combo for sale... ;)
  • i disagree. if you want it mainly as a practice amp dont go for the fender hot rod deluxe because is doesnt sound that great at low volumes, you cant push the power amp valves enough. if you want a quality tone at low volume go for a small wattage valva amp like a vox ac15 or an orange ad15, because they are only 15 watts not 40 like the fender but they are both loud enough to gig with/play with a band. they are a bit more expensive than the fender but the quality of the clean tone is far superior to the fender, which makes sense when you look at the prices. a good rule is the less you get for more money the better quality it will be, for example im in the uk where a hot rod deluxe is about £550 and you get 2 channels and a boost channel whereas the vox ac15 is £800 for just one clean channel, but a £800 amp with one channel is going to be much better quality than a £550 amp with 2/3. stick with one channel amps, like pearl jam do, and just crank them to get a great valve tone, then for the distortion just invest in a quality pedal.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by gatefold
    i disagree. if you want it mainly as a practice amp dont go for the fender hot rod deluxe because is doesnt sound that great at low volumes, you cant push the power amp valves enough. if you want a quality tone at low volume go for a small wattage valva amp like a vox ac15 or an orange ad15, because they are only 15 watts not 40 like the fender but they are both loud enough to gig with/play with a band. they are a bit more expensive than the fender but the quality of the clean tone is far superior to the fender, which makes sense when you look at the prices. a good rule is the less you get for more money the better quality it will be, for example im in the uk where a hot rod deluxe is about £550 and you get 2 channels and a boost channel whereas the vox ac15 is £800 for just one clean channel, but a £800 amp with one channel is going to be much better quality than a £550 amp with 2/3. stick with one channel amps, like pearl jam do, and just crank them to get a great valve tone, then for the distortion just invest in a quality pedal.

Yeah, but in the states it's tough to find an Orange dealer. I actually own an AD 15/12 I love it. No Reverb nothing to clutter the sound. Vintage 30 is warm and smooth. The Orange USA headquarters is actually in Atlanta I got lucky and worked next to one of the best guitar shops in Atlanta. The AD 30 is even better.

I like them more than the Vox's I am currently searching for an outboard reverb.

The Vox's in the area are all beat to hell and really not worth the effort and money to get them fixed.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.