peavey classic 30 vs marshall avt50

|-Release-||-Release-| Posts: 90
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i play a strat and i play lots of different styles of music. i guess im goin' for a roughish neil young type tone but also be able to go for pearl jam live tone and smashing pumpkins tones (earlier pumpkins stuff like gish and siamese dream) also i do sometimes play some quite heavy stuff like alice in chains and the odd metallica song...would it be better to get a marshall avt50 or peavey classic 30 for my needs? i intend to try both out side by side but i kinda want a good idea of what sounds to expect from both beforehand. also, it can take a while before you find a tone on an amp you love but sometimes you miss out as time in a shop is restricted. your opinions will be welcomed greatly. thankyou.
seems that needlessly its getting harder
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Sorry I'm not answering your question but I wanted to comment on the shop thing. I always feel kinda anxious when trying out an amp or guitar in a store. Like they are just waiting for me to stop playing, because of this I often don't play very comfortably and forget to play all the riffs I wanna to test the sound of something.

I wanna say to the guy "can I get that amp there in a sealed room for 1/2 an hour".

well I can can atleast point out that the marshall definately looks better in my opinion.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I think the AVT 50 would fit you better because of it's higher gain. You could get a more pumpkins like sound out of it than the Classic 30, still both are decent amps. There's less hastle with the AVT 50 but there's more sparkle to the Classic 30
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The Classic 30 is the roughish Neil Young. The Marshall is the Pumpkins. Everything else is somewhere in between.

My preference is with the Peavey, but both are good.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    Originally posted by MissYouAllDay
    Sorry I'm not answering your question but I wanted to comment on the shop thing. I always feel kinda anxious when trying out an amp or guitar in a store. Like they are just waiting for me to stop playing, because of this I often don't play very comfortably and forget to play all the riffs I wanna to test the sound of something.

I wanna say to the guy "can I get that amp there in a sealed room for 1/2 an hour".

well I can can atleast point out that the marshall definately looks better in my opinion.

isn't that the truth
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    peavey, just my thought i am sick of marshall's right now, i love my peeavey over my marshal at this point
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • a_gherkina_gherkin Posts: 77
    i tried a marshall avt in a store once and was SOOOOOOOOO unimpressed!!!! it was so ordinary, altho i couldnt really crank up the volume. i believe the peavey is an all-tube affair, i may be wrong, but you may aprreciate the warmth of that all-tube tone!
  • zulsliderzulslider Posts: 11
    go with the peavey buddy...i have mine with a ts9 and DOD fx9 analog delay plus a gcb-95 wah, it sounds pretty pearl jam i have to say..but the only thing is i think my gcb-95 crybaby sucks...wish i could have the original 535 crybaby. And it looks vintage too ;)
  • Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
    ive never tried the peavy but own a Marshall AVT 5o and I have no complaints... thick loud crunch. I used it for giging to and had enough balls for smaller venues. tHats bout it...
    Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music