tube amps such as peavey classic 30

|-Release-||-Release-| Posts: 90
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i am seriously considering this amp...seeing as i am not able to test it at cranked volume in a shop...can someone what kind of tones i can get...i listen to a lot of neil young and im expecting sommat similar to this (especially greendale tone..or am i way off?) ... also, if i wanted some heavy tones, what distortion/overdrive distortion could i go for to help me achieve a heavier smashing pumpkins, alice in chains, heavier vs. kind of tone?

thanks for any help.
seems that needlessly its getting harder
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah you can get it. You'll need a Big Muff or DS-1 distortion pedal for Pumpkins or heavier stuff.

It's a classic tweed style amp with a little more gain than the early tweeds. The Neil Young sound is in there.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • zulsliderzulslider Posts: 11
    i actually own one....it's a great amp...versatile...and its worth what you paying for....all the tone is there...i just recently change the blue marvel speaker to the celestion vintage 30 speaker to make it not stock...hehehe....i run it through a ts9 for a little kick in the amp....

actually i'm not sure whether there are any artist using this amp but i know joe satriani have used the classic 50....and according to giventowail website...mike had once used the classic 50..but i'm not sure about that...
    Originally posted by zulslider
    i actually own one....it's a great amp...versatile...and its worth what you paying for....all the tone is there...i just recently change the blue marvel speaker to the celestion vintage 30 speaker to make it not stock...hehehe....i run it through a ts9 for a little kick in the amp....

actually i'm not sure whether there are any artist using this amp but i know joe satriani have used the classic 50....and according to giventowail website...mike had once used the classic 50..but i'm not sure about that...

More than likely. Stone has several Delta Blues Amps in black tweed you can clearly see on stage on TB2K. That whole series from peavy is very good, solid and capable of very nice tone. The overdrive circuit is much nicer than that of the HR fenders in my opinion. Good choice on the V 30 I love those. I'm sure it warms it up nicely and the breakup is that much sweeter. I wonder what a low watt Alnico would sound like in a classic 30 like in the old fender tweeds.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    the best amp i hav ever owned so far, it does come with some issues though, you will get some tube rattle and and you may want to invest in a tube guard as well, but sonically i love it well worth the money
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
    Originally posted by ski4
    the best amp i hav ever owned so far, it does come with some issues though, you will get some tube rattle and and you may want to invest in a tube guard as well, but sonically i love it well worth the money

Tube rattle is a problem in most combos due to the close proximity to the speaker. You can avoid it by conecting it to an external cab and disabling the internal speaker. Tube jackets or sockets that hold the tube in place can usually lessen this problem.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Tube rattle is a problem in most combos due to the close proximity to the speaker. You can avoid it by conecting it to an external cab and disabling the internal speaker. Tube jackets or sockets that hold the tube in place can usually lessen this problem.

so far i have been able to combat it with those cheap little high temp o rings, now i have 2 tube retainers that are making all kinds of racket i have to dampen some how, oy and i had peavey swap out some of the real noisy tubes, some rattle more than others
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
    Originally posted by ski4
    so far i have been able to combat it with those cheap little high temp o rings, now i have 2 tube retainers that are making all kinds of racket i have to dampen some how, oy and i had peavey swap out some of the real noisy tubes, some rattle more than others

indeed. Tesla JJ's might be your best bet there. Tube construction is definately a factor. sounds you are on the right track. anyway, It's a little odd you'd get that much vibration. Maybe the tube sockets are loose?
  • would a peavey classic 50 be too much for a bedroom? ive got a chance to pick one of these up for quite cheap and i have just formed a band and will hopefully eventually gig small venues with this amp however ill still be practising in my bedroom and i understand that you need to crank a tube amp to make it sound good or is this not the case with the classic 50? please excuse my idiocy surrounding this subject.
    Originally posted by |-Release-|
    would a peavey classic 50 be too much for a bedroom? ive got a chance to pick one of these up for quite cheap and i have just formed a band and will hopefully eventually gig small venues with this amp however ill still be practising in my bedroom and i understand that you need to crank a tube amp to make it sound good or is this not the case with the classic 50? please excuse my idiocy surrounding this subject.

no, it's not too much. The classic 50 is bad ass. 4x10's will give you much more sound than 1x12 so it's louder, and 50 watts as opposed to 30 give you more clean headroom (you have to turn it up more to overdrive the amp) THis is not a bad thing. Sure it is really loud but volume problems can be tamed (it has a master volume and you can always get an attenuator) If you can get the classic 50 cheap, go for it. It's an outstanding amp. You will love the sound you get from 4x10"s. With a tube screamer in front it will blow your mind.

see http://www.webervst.com and look around at the Webber MASS.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    indeed. Tesla JJ's might be your best bet there. Tube construction is definately a factor. sounds you are on the right track. anyway, It's a little odd you'd get that much vibration. Maybe the tube sockets are loose?

the sockets seem in place and solid, it is the metal retaining clips on 2 of the tubes now, when i touch them with my hand it stops the noise. but i still love the amp, i only wonder now if i really need the speaker upgrade i hear many talk about
  • zulsliderzulslider Posts: 11
    you touch the tube by your hand....i thought it was dangerous to tuch the tubes when it is on....i've never try it before....but since you're still here and typing message ....i guess it doesn't do much harm rite... :D
  • djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    My guitar teacher (a huge joe satriani fan) has a classic 50 so I plug into the other channel of it. Its really cool, definetly can be in a bedroom
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
    Originally posted by zulslider
    you touch the tube by your hand....i thought it was dangerous to tuch the tubes when it is on....i've never try it before....but since you're still here and typing message ....i guess it doesn't do much harm rite... :D

they get hot, really hot and i suppose if the glass breaks you could get a hell of a shock, but in this instance it is acttually the clips that i am talking about
  • it looks like if i did get a peavet classic it would have to be the 30 as my pockets are not very deep. can anyone send me an mp3 of them playing the classic 30 or recommend a song by an artist who uses a peavey classic. i searched for one to try out yesterday and i tried 3 big shops and none of them had one.
    try sam ash, they are a peavey dealer