i just formed a band

|-Release-||-Release-| Posts: 90
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
well, i placed an add on some message boards a while ago and to cut a long story short, ive found a bassist, drummer and another guitarist. we're gonna have out first rehearsal/meeting this saturday and im really looking forward to it (its my first proper band) and i was wondering are there any tips you can give me for playing with 'strangers' for the first time. i have little experience in meeting new musicians and jamming with them and when i do, i seem to freeze up. anyone got any tips on breaking the ice and just rockin'? cheers
seems that needlessly its getting harder
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    just focus on good riffs and becoming tight rhythmically from the start. and leave all ego at home. not saying you'd be a dick or something but hopefully the other's won't be either.

just try to find a place to fit and hopefully everyone will take turns leading and following with no one person trying to dominate.
  • ExodusExodus Posts: 212
    just give it all you got... i did that a while ago and you just fucking put it all out there and try to have a good time.
    Between the conception and the creation

Between the emotion and the response

Falls the shadow.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by exhausted
    just focus on good riffs and becoming tight rhythmically from the start. and leave all ego at home. not saying you'd be a dick or something but hopefully the other's won't be either.

just try to find a place to fit and hopefully everyone will take turns leading and following with no one person trying to dominate.

To add on what exhausted has said --

don't be intimidated if you don't know something ask. If you hear something your not familiar with - Just say something to the effect - Hey man that was awesome, show me how you did that or let me hear that again and add your part on to it and work from there.

A Band ='s a collective of sounds coming together, not attitudes and egos.

Good luck and remember you had the courage to get everyone together, you'll find the courage to see if it can happen.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Communicate... more than any other thing, focus on that.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Amen to all of the above.

What worked for me is trying to find out what music the whole bands like, and if it's not too hard play a few songs everyone knows already. Works best with "louder" songs, they give you some kind of energy... I did that with Silverchair's "Freak", some Nirvana and Lukin last month. It went right from the first note. Worked perfectly. Good luck with it and enjoy! :D
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • thanks everyone :D, ill certainly use your advice on saturday. im really looking forward to it, we said we'll try and run through animal and alive and brain of j just so we have something to do. i cant wait. :)
  • mabey learn a cover to get "Coordinated", listen openly to echothers writing styles and get comforable with them.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Alright, we need feedback already!

How'd it go?

I feel like I just sent a buddy out on a date, and I want to know if he got any.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • hey, sadly, the drummer cancelled at the last minute :( , so we didn't go, however, its been organised for next saturday instead and hopefully it will go ahead.
  • take out your knob on stage, it wofked for Jim Morrison