Ten Club benefit?

2»

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    SHZA said:
    $35/year = 10 cents/day.

I feel like some who say they are dropping it are doing it on principle although others refer to not wanting to waste the money 
    Would you continue to pay $35 a year for any service if you no longer used?
    Add the Oprah Network to your TV bundle for only $35 a year. Why not? Its only 10 cents a day. Or would you cancel that, not on principal, but because you don't use it?

If people think they are never getting tickets again for whatever reason, I understand dropping it. I'm not there yet, I hope they'll play somewhere closer again. 
  • GW2553GW2553 Posts: 80
    edited February 22
    JimmyV said:
    It's $35 a year in the U.S. I can't get pizzas delivered for less than that. The membership fee is of no consequence, and I am far from rich. 

• SHZASHZA Posts: 3,891
    edited February 22
    mace1229 said:
    SHZA said:
    $35/year = 10 cents/day.

I feel like some who say they are dropping it are doing it on principle although others refer to not wanting to waste the money 
    Add the Oprah Network to your TV bundle for only $35 a year. Why not? Its only 10 cents a day. Or would you cancel that, not on principal, but because you don't use it?

If people think they are never getting tickets again for whatever reason, I understand dropping it. I'm not there yet, I hope they'll play somewhere closer again. 
    I wouldn't pay for something I wasn't using. I think there's value beyond ticket opportunities though, like this forum and merch access. I can see that some might not see any value beyond tickets. But looking at it rationally, even if you only win one lottery every 10 years, the market value of the ticket (or pair) that a long-term member would receive would far exceed the cost of the membership dues. For that reason, I don't think canceling makes sense financially. It's an emotional decision based on feeling that their decades of loyalty aren't appreciated 
    Post edited by SHZA on
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,747
    mace1229 said:
    SHZA said:
    $35/year = 10 cents/day.

I'm not there, never been close, never will. That's just me (and many others of course). I don't know my lottery history exactly, but it may be around 50/50, probably less. Sometimes I get nothing, sometimes I've gotten everything (whether it's one show or more), last time I got 5 of 5 :o (because I got nothing in 2022 and cancelled shows in 2020 and 2016, so I knew I was going somewhere), this time I got 2 of 4 (0 for 2 MSG). One of our crew just got 5 of 7 (one of which is MSG). Another got zilch. We all put in and figure it out later. Some of us aren't 10C, so they try for verified fan codes. Then I go berserk with fan 2 fan, it's an illness honestly  =)

A friend of mine purposely let his lapse because he thought seniority doesn't matter any more at all and now he regrets it and didn't renew before 2/12 even though he wanted to and knew he had to for lottery. A couple of friends gripe every lottery if they don't win, but we all put in and figure it out afterward.  Other friends have discontinued and then struggle with getting tickets. One of which just told me the other day, he is going to join the fan club again just for the lottery shot. Lottery is just the first chance at tickets, you either want it or you don't?

It's a personal decision. If you don't want any chance at winning the lottery, you dump your membership, and my odds increase and if you are lower than 198xxx, I get better seats. If you do want a chance at winning the lottery, you keep it and you'll get better seats because you stuck around. You do get member perks still. Exclusive merch, digital download yearly, etc. I know it's not what it was and I'm not pointing that out to debate anybody.

If that doesn't equal $35 for you, then you have your answer.

I really had no intentions of this post being so long, forgive me.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,335
    edited February 22
    Zod said:
    We're both PJ fans and have memberships, but the two memberships things works best when there is priority.  Without priority it didn't make as much a difference.   I wouldn't be surprised if we go back to a 1 membership household.  I also think that might be a good thing.

$35 still seems steep for presale ticket access.   It allows to buy the vault, but I think it's weird where you have to pay money to buy someone's products.

I think I'm luckier than most that PJ plays somewhere in the PNW every few years (covid drought withstanding), so maybe I'm paying 2 to 3 years worth of dues for that one shot at tickets. 

Metallica does that for free.  U2 charges $40/year and you get a pretty cool gift every year (it's $50 on initial sign up). 

I'm too much of a diehard to give my old membership, but I think we'll probably cut it down to 1 the next time my wife's runs out.  No real need for 2 unless you need more entries in the pot for high demand shows.    Plus 10c and fans always know a show/tour is going to happen before it's going to happen.   If there was a year where Seattle got shows and Vancouver didn't, not hard to sign up before it gets announce, rather than pay every year.
    You're all overlooking the most important perk of membership in the Ten Club: it gives you access to this message board!

EDIT: SHZA didn't overlook it.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    edited February 22
    SHZA said:
    $35/year = 10 cents/day.

And with 366 days in 2024, it's even more of a bargain this year! For this reason, I only join the Ten Club once every four years. It's just not a good deal in non-leap years...
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,779
    It is worth it for me to preserve my seniority. Joined in 1998. I seem to have decent luck in the lottery other than MSG.  Philly and Boston seem to have gotten much tougher this time around as I usually get 10C tickets easily in those markets.
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 722
    edited February 22
    Get_Right said:
    It is worth it for me to preserve my seniority. Joined in 1998. I seem to have decent luck in the lottery other than MSG.  Philly and Boston seem to have gotten much tougher this time around as I usually get 10C tickets easily in those markets.
    Philly and Boston aren’t helped by the fact that Hartford, Toronto, Albany, Buffalo, Pittsburgh & the entire Southeast don’t get shows this year (and other that Toronto haven’t in many years)
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,779
    kmcmanus said:
    Get_Right said:
    Philly and Boston aren’t helped by the fact that Hartford, Toronto, Albany, Buffalo, Pittsburgh & the entire Southeast don’t get shows this year (and other that Toronto haven’t in many years)

True, but I have a feeling the same folks would hit Hartford and Albany in addition to Boston or Philly. Surprised there was no Hartford date.  Must not have fit the schedule.
    I think too many people are looking at this through an outcome-determinative lens. In 2020, I got mostly skunked in the lottery. In 2024, everything came up Milhouse. In both instances, my reaction has been the same, gratitude for the opportunity to get good seats at face value before the rest of the general public, and not because I have the right credit card but because I have been a dues-paying member of the fan club for many years. I sympathize with people who are disappointed at not getting the shows they wanted, because I've been there. But I don't sympathize with the people who think that not getting the shows they wanted makes the whole enterprise worthless, because I would never see it that way. And I definitely don't sympathize with people who just seem to be willfully refusing to grasp certain things about the lottery (i.e., no guaranteed tickets for anyone, including senior members) or selectively misremembering the results of prior lotteries (the whole reason #gutted is a thing is because prior lotteries were full of people getting shut out of the shows they wanted the most, and the threads from those lotteries are here on the message board for people to refresh their recollection if they so desire).
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    BF25394 said:
    SHZA said:
    $35/year = 10 cents/day.

And with 366 days in 2024, it's even more of a bargain this year! For this reason, I only join the Ten Club once every four years. It's just not a good deal in non-leap years...
    Just make sure not to join in 2100 when it is in fact NOT a leap year.

mattcoz said:
    BF25394 said:
    SHZA said:
    $35/year = 10 cents/day.

Just make sure not to join in 2100 when it is in fact NOT a leap year.

Oh, I'm on top of it. That tour will be amazing. The band will be holograms. I'll be a head floating in a jar...
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    edited February 22
    BF25394 said:
    SHZA said:
    $35/year = 10 cents/day.

What are your plans for the year 2100 when we skip a leap year? Break your every 4 year trend?
    **Dang it, someone beat me to the joke....
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,242
    The benefit of membership is being allowed access to the boards to read all of the complaining. Countless hours of entertainment.
    edited February 22
    mace1229 said:
    BF25394 said:
    SHZA said:
    $35/year = 10 cents/day.

What are your plans for the year 2100 when we skip a leap year? Break your every 4 year trend?
    **Dang it, someone beat me to the joke....
    I don't really want to live to be 125, but it might be worth it just to see how people freak out about the fact that there is no leap day that year. I can just imagine it: "longtime humans have an expectation that there will be an extra day in February every four years regardless of the fact that there has never been a leap day in a year divisible by 100 but not divisible by 400, and if Big Calendar doesn't fix this for 2200, I will not renew my membership in the solar calendar and will go over to a lunar calendar." (And then they find out about leap months in lunar calendars and their heads explode.)
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    BF25394 said:
    I think too many people are looking at this through an outcome-determinative lens. In 2020, I got mostly skunked in the lottery. In 2024, everything came up Milhouse. In both instances, my reaction has been the same, gratitude for the opportunity to get good seats at face value before the rest of the general public, and not because I have the right credit card but because I have been a dues-paying member of the fan club for many years. I sympathize with people who are disappointed at not getting the shows they wanted, because I've been there. But I don't sympathize with the people who think that not getting the shows they wanted makes the whole enterprise worthless, because I would never see it that way. And I definitely don't sympathize with people who just seem to be willfully refusing to grasp certain things about the lottery (i.e., no guaranteed tickets for anyone, including senior members) or selectively misremembering the results of prior lotteries (the whole reason #gutted is a thing is because prior lotteries were full of people getting shut out of the shows they wanted the most, and the threads from those lotteries are here on the message board for people to refresh their recollection if they so desire).
    Right???  Pay attention to the details folks, there are NO guarantees in a lottery-based system.  I was shut out for all shows I requested this time around.  Yet I have been very successful on prior tours.  Not jumping ship.  
  • BSullyBSully Posts: 1,183
    GW2553 said:
    JimmyV said:
    It's $35 a year in the U.S. I can't get pizzas delivered for less than that. The membership fee is of no consequence, and I am far from rich. 

Yeah, it's money well spent IMO. I agree, every time I go out to dinner, it costs more than that.
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • I doubt I’ll renew when the time comes. I’ve only gone to Vancouver shows and have kept the membership for ticket access for when they come but the upcoming shows are the first in Van in 10 years. I got confirmed P1 for both shows but haven’t heard where the seats are the night before the general public sale. At this point I feel I would have been better off to try my luck on TM and been able to choose my seats plus been able to go as a family of three.
  • SHZA said:
    $35/year = 10 cents/day.

I'm pretty sure you are skipping out on a lot of things that would cost you only 10 cents a day
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    edited February 23
    Stop seeing it as a fanclub. It's not a club (anymore).

Your are paying for access to a storefront, and a message board (that used to be free for everyone).
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 2,924

Your are paying for access to a storefront, and a message board (that used to be free for everyone).

What? You have to be a TC member to post here?! wow, when did that happen?
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • merlin401merlin401 Posts: 230
    I wonder if your odds go up for MSG if that’s all you attempt at.  I’m 400xxx and seem to get one (or rarely both) MSG shows each tour but that’s usually all I try for.  If I ever fail I’ll just try for F2F or stubhub tickets to a Philly show or miss a tour, not a big deal
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden I, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022), MSG I, Fenway 1 (2024)
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202

It's been 10C only for as long as I can remember.
  • smile6680smile6680 Posts: 378

I also didn't realize you had to be a member to post on here until relatively recently. 
  • Jason727Jason727 Posts: 19
    I just joined 10C this past October on a whim. I got a pair of Fenway1 tickets but as I fully expected the seats are not that great with a member number of 575xxx. The only other time I've seen PJ is in 2013 in Worcester and I got better seats just going on TM the day of the sale. However, those were the days before dynamic/premium pricing. While I know with my high membership number I'll likely never get amazing seats through 10C, I still see the benefit of it. Assuming I'm able to get tickets in the lottery it at least gets me in the building and I can still try my luck with F2F to upgrade my seats. 

As someone else stated, the more long time members that quit or follow through on their threat to, the more beneficial it is to someone like me...

All joking aside, I can see how someone who's been in the club for 25+ years would be upset. I would be too. However, if they only gave tickets (and not just seats) via seniority, they wouldn't be doing a great job of getting new fans.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,444
    Jason727 said:
    I just joined 10C this past October on a whim. I got a pair of Fenway1 tickets but as I fully expected the seats are not that great with a member number of 575xxx. The only other time I've seen PJ is in 2013 in Worcester and I got better seats just going on TM the day of the sale. However, those were the days before dynamic/premium pricing. While I know with my high membership number I'll likely never get amazing seats through 10C, I still see the benefit of it. Assuming I'm able to get tickets in the lottery it at least gets me in the building and I can still try my luck with F2F to upgrade my seats. 

As someone else stated, the more long time members that quit or follow through on their threat to, the more beneficial it is to someone like me...

All joking aside, I can see how someone who's been in the club for 25+ years would be upset. I would be too. However, if they only gave tickets (and not just seats) via seniority, they wouldn't be doing a great job of getting new fans.
    Have you been paying and not knowing? Pretty sure I have seen recent sign ups are in the 700xxx now. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Jason727Jason727 Posts: 19
    drakeheuer14 said:

Have you been paying and not knowing? Pretty sure I have seen recent sign ups are in the 700xxx now. 
    Oops, I think I swapped the 5 and 7 by mistake - my number is 755xxx or something in that range...
  • AF258596AF258596 Posts: 14
    I really value 10cradio, 24 hours a day of selection of Pearl Jam music that I listen to while I work, at home... that's just why I pay for membership, aren't you fans of 10cradio?

• I feel like the opportunity to buy member-only items in the shop, like a Vault, is the Club's biggest benefit these days. Especially with fewer shows per tour and the band not travelling outside their favorite 5 or 6 cities