Options

Truss Rod Adjustment

|-Release-||-Release-| Posts: 90
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey, i put some higher gauge strings on my strat recently. to compensate for the extra tension...i took the panel off the back and adjusted the tension of the springs by screwing those two screws (sorry to be so vague, i know nothing about giutars). anyway, this has helped tremendously but i have a problem which apparently can be solved by adjusting the truss rod. my problem is: if i am playing in standard tuning and i then tune my low E string down to D, my other strings (A D G B E) all become about a quarter of a tone higher for some reason. my question is, which way do i turn the truss rod with the allen wrench to stop this from happening? also, can i adjust the truss rod with the strings still on the guitar or do i have to take the strings off? thanks for your help :).
seems that needlessly its getting harder
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I'm by far no pro, but I don't think the truss rod is the key to avoid this from happening. You do have a Strat, do you? I'm pretty sure it's because of the floating Tremolo Bridge. I think the only way to get around this is to block the bridge completely or to flatten it to the body via the screws. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Regarding the truss rod: It's to make the neck more convex or more concave! When turned counter clockwise to loosening it, the neck get's more concave (bow like), clock wise more convex. When the neck is more convex the stings should come closer to the fretboard. You don't have to remove the strings when altering the truss rod. Maybe you should loosen them a bit when turning it clockwise and you'd need great strenght!

Steve
  • Options
    yeah, that dude knows what hes talkin bout. :D