playing standing up

|-Release-||-Release-| Posts: 90
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i seem to be having trouble playing standing...i can play to the best of my ability when im sitting down but when i try to play standing im nowhere near top form. you're probably thinking that im trying to be 'cool' and having the guitar down low but im not..its either too high or too low. i am a bit out of practise playing standing up but when i practise guitar, i just want to play sitting down cus i play better so its a vicious cycle you see. anyone else have/had this problem? how have you gotten over it. i really want to conquer this cus if i ever play live, i dont want to be sitting on the side of the stage :P . any help would be appreciated, thanks :).
seems that needlessly its getting harder
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ya its way easier for me to play sitting down.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • MONKEYNUTSMONKEYNUTS Posts: 114
    MONKEYNUTS HAD DE SAME PROBleM. U JUST GoTTA PRACtIce standin Up. It takes awHile at FIRST To GET COMFORTABle wid iT [InFACT it maY SEEM Like u wiLl never get tHE HANG OF IT] BUT then soMFIN jusT CLIks and B 4 u nO It ur playIn amaziNlY, RUNniN AND JuMpIn arouND UR BEDROOm finKIn UR HENDRIx
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    All I can tell you is to keep practising standing up. I remember that it used to be easier for me to play sitting down as well...but some things you just have to teach yourself and struggle through. I would suggest that anytime you are playing from now on...play standing up. I'm sure once you have practiced it for a while you will become quite proficient at it.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Complete opposite, I don't like sitting. So l brought bar stools 1/2 standing 1/2 sitting. Works for me.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Yeah, I guess everybody's different. Bottom line....focus on the aspects that you need work on.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • By any chance are you playing an acoustic standing? A problem there, is that since the body is so thick you can't see over the edge without leaning back or something, so you have no view of any of your fingers or picking.

I find it much easier when playing my bros electric standing up cause it's a start and very thin and I havea good view of both hands when needed.

Notice all unplugged concerts are with all guitarists sitting down.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Make sure you guitar is balanced right with your strap. It should hang where your hands are, and you really shouldn't have to hold it up while your playing.
    If it's electric, just standing up and playing is the only way to get over it.
    It comes.
    It's like learning a new song or scale. You struggle with it, then suddenly you look back and say, "Oh,, I'm doing this!,,,How'd that happen?":D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • I had this problem once too. Just keep standing up and it will come to you. Really, it will. Before you know it standing up won't be a big deal at all. When playing electric I've gotten to the point that I really don't like sitting down now.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    If I'm playing more intricate and/or finger picking stuff, sitting down is usually easier. For everything else, I'd rather stand.

It seems like I am more "serious" when sitting down, but I have more fun "rocking out" when I'm standing and moving around a little.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • yeah all this stuff is useful, and when you do find the right strap length, stick to it then change it once you're used to playing standing up
    For every tool they lend us...