compression.

|-Release-||-Release-| Posts: 90
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey all, i recently purchased a marshall guv'nor and im extremely happy with it. i use it with my clean channel mostly for rhythm and when i want to play lead i usually kick on my amps distortion (i use very little) to use with the guvnor's. however, if when using both dists. i use the neck or middle pickup (single coils) and play E, A, D, G strings with a fair amount of force they seem to be overly compressed and needless to say its annoying. i was wondering if the answer would be a compression pedal? can someone describe to me how a compression pedal would benefit my tone? or give me a link to a website that would. also, does anyone know of any websites where i can hear a guitar clip without compression, and then with a compressional pedal being used. also, recommendations are welcomed, though i think i'd go with a dyna-comp.
seems that needlessly its getting harder
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    my understanding is that a compressrion pedal would only add to the compression in your tone...

the idea is to get the tone of your amps natural compression without having to crank the amp as hard.

I could be wrong though.
    There's No Code.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    If you are going to get a pedal you need to get a clean boost not a compression pedal which would only add to the compression.

The problem is that the amplifier dist compression level combined with the guvnor compression level is too compressed for you.

You can fix that problem by running a clean boost infront of your overdrive and not using the amp distortion. The clean boost you use for cleans and the guvnor you kick on at the same time for a little more gain.

I use an overdrive set for a slightly warm cleanish boost (volume way up gain nearly all the way down. If I want a heavier (more compressed) sound I kick on my distortion

You could try running the guv nor that way, and see if the problem gets better.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I don't think compression is your problem.

Try the marshall into the rhythm channel and boost the treble on the pedal a bit,,, although I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you have a compressed sound.
    Running a neck or middle pickup through two overdrives will sound a bit muddy unless you boost the highs a bit. Boosting the output on the drive pedal may let the amps' tubes open up a bit, too. (if it's a tube amp).
    You may have done this already, but I would experiment with what you have first.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Be kind, man

Try the marshall into the rhythm channel and boost the treble on the pedal a bit,,, although I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you have a compressed sound.
    Running a neck or middle pickup through two overdrives will sound a bit muddy unless you boost the highs a bit. Boosting the output on the drive pedal may let the amps' tubes open up a bit, too. (if it's a tube amp).
    You may have done this already, but I would experiment with what you have first.

good idea bob. Especially if it's a darkish humbucker equipped guitar like a Les Paul
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Originally posted by Pacomc79
    good idea bob. Especially if it's a darkish humbucker equipped guitar like a Les Paul

Man,, we're falling all over each other complimenting each other!:D
    I hope we're right!:)

He's got single coils, but same deal.
    Be kind, man

Good clean on the edge of break up amp... two overdrives set to clean boost with the tone all the way to the right... neck pup of my SG...

thick and creamy... my favorite.

Anyways, I agree with the other ideas... a clean boost is the way to go... that will push your amp more and keep the signature sound of your amp...
    There's No Code.
  • Originally posted by House53
    My recipe for lead tone... *everyone take notes... :)*

Good clean on the edge of break up amp... two overdrives set to clean boost with the tone all the way to the right... neck pup of my SG...

:)

Or,,, take my old Mesa Boogie 160 watt mark II, set on 7 1/2 half into my big old cabinet with a couple of 15's, plug in the PRS, put in some earplugs, and

Let'r rip!:eek:
    Be kind, man

Or,,, take my old Mesa Boogie 160 watt mark II, set on 7 1/2 half into my big old cabinet with a couple of 15's, plug in the PRS, put in some earplugs, and

Let'r rip!:eek:

You know man in those days the extra power tubes were an 80 dollar option. You have a special few maybe even 1 of a kind. with that Mesa.

Along the same notes Matamp is planning to build a 10,000watt head containing no less than 250 EL 34's :O
  • hey hey, thanks for all your suggestions ppl, i see what you mean, im not really sure why i thought putting a compressor in there would make it less compressed :P. any recommendations for a clean boost/overdrive? im not in the market for anything too expensive but i obviously understand you have to pay for quality.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by |-Release-|
    hey hey, thanks for all your suggestions ppl, i see what you mean, im not really sure why i thought putting a compressor in there would make it less compressed :P. any recommendations for a clean boost/overdrive? im not in the market for anything too expensive but i obviously understand you have to pay for quality.

how much do you want to spend?

I know of several very good ones right around 100 bucks.
  • yeah around $100 would probably be my limit, and there is always good ol' ebay.
  • Originally posted by Pacomc79
    You know man in those days the extra power tubes were an 80 dollar option. You have a special few maybe even 1 of a kind. with that Mesa.

Along the same notes Matamp is planning to build a 10,000watt head containing no less than 250 EL 34's :O

That mesa is rare.
    I have another too loud amp, a Rivera with a set of el-34's and 6L6's. It sounds friggin great, but it's gotta be loud to work it!, and it'll chase away all wildlife in the area!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/mynamehere/loud%20amps/IMG_1413.jpg
    (the person that took this picture was flinching at the noise and so was I! :eek: )

Sorry to hijack this thread, release,,,, it took me forever to make this picture work, and I have ro run with it now!:)
    Be kind, man

well, on the higher end there's the Keeley Katana, the Zvex Super Hard On (Super Duper 2 in 1) The fulltone Fatboost and the various rangemaster treble boost copies. Also the AC and DC boosters from Xotic.

Then there are the budget bargains. From down here in Athens Nick Greer builds a cool one called the sonic boom booster.

Home Brew Electronics makes one too.

David Barber (one of my favorites) builds one called the Launch Pad.

Sweet sound makes a good one.

Toadworks has the MEAT a dual fat and clean boost

Regardless. look around especially on Ebay and see what you find.

http://www.pedalgeek.com and http://www.musictoyz.com have plenty of options to choose from.

Seymour Duncan makes one now. The MXR Micro Amp has been around for years but for the price I think you can do better.

The Pharaoh Class A boost is a good one too.

have fun.

http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/gtrpedalboost.php

this one's cool too from analogman. A JFET booster.

http://www.analogman.com/badbob.htm

and the Bennett Boost EA

http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop_te_st.cgi?config=&uid=DLIGgwAA1093637815&command=link--bbbea

my fave. http://www.barberelectronics.com/LaunchPad.htm
  • Originally posted by |-Release-|
    yeah around $100 would probably be my limit, and there is always good ol' ebay.

Have you tried using your own Marshall pedal?
    If it has a level on it, turn back the overdrive and crank the level,,, that may work!

Otherwise,,, Paco just put up the master list of clean boosts!:D
    Be kind, man

This thread has NOTHING to do with compression!

False advertising, I swear...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Hey, wait a second.

This thread has NOTHING to do with compression!

False advertising, I swear...

Sorry man,
    It's my fault! Once I get involved!

No focus, I have.

Oh hell,

Where's my car keys:)
    Be kind, man
    It's my fault! Once I get involved!

That's Bob, taking the blame for everyone...

Oh hell, it's all good.
  • Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    That's Bob, taking the blame for everyone...

Oh hell, it's all good.

That's ok, I take the blame, but then I just put it in the trash on Monday, with the guilt and despair. (Mixed in with the banana peels and old coffee grounds:D

And I found my keys!

And
    Release,,,, I've GOT it!

Maybe you need a Decompression pedal!
    I don't think they exist yet, though:)
    Be kind, man

That's an amp!! You would use that with this guitar:
    http://www.harmony-central.com/News/2004/Big-Guitar-lg.jpg
    Be kind, man

I thought size didn't matter.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Originally posted by puremagic
    I thought size didn't matter.

It doesn't! Really,,, it doesn't,,,,,,,,,,,,

Does it?

:(
    Be kind, man

Does it?

:(

YES, YES IT DOES!!!!! Look at it, its BIG, its INVITING.

oh the possibilities.

the sound would be murderous to the ears.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Originally posted by puremagic
    YES, YES IT DOES!!!!! Look at it, its BIG, its INVITING.

oh the possibilities.

the sound would be murderous to the ears.

I hope this wasn't meant for the "Please don't laugh" thread:eek:

It's so great to see you again, Puremagic!:D
    Be kind, man

The strange-lookin' dude at the lower right side of that photo with his back turned to us...

None other than Seymour Duncan himself.

More info here:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/other/bigpickup.shtml

It's pretty cool to see the world's biggest pickup (a to-scale reproduction of a PAF humbucker) being built from the ground up.