Options

Quitting Da Ganja

Ive been partaking since i was in High School, im 43 now...have slowed down to a little at night, edible here & there. Never was a burnout/stoner who smoked myself stupid....as mentioned night time/ concerts.....I cant smoke and work or do important shit, some people i know smoke all day...idk how they function

so I havent done ANY since around January 12th when I had covid , think from TOOL @ MSG......I didnt like the cough etc, and thought its probably time to hang up the pipe etc. Ive also had issues getting out of bed last few years, thinking im groggy from smoking and getting lil older....so the 1st few weeks i wasnt really craving it too much, last few days I feel a little cranky and anxious...I figure another few weeks I should level out, I mean as mentioned ive been at it long time

just curious if anyone else quit after a long time and what your experiences/ benefits youve seen?

Im getting shit from some buddies for being a quitter when its legal now..... I also felt that i smoked to reduce stress/anxiety....but that it may have gotten worse over the years due to having it in  my system

Last few years have been stressful ...just trying to mix it up and see if trying some lifestyle changes help

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,984
    I only do it on Fri/Sat nights or on vacation...helps me veg out
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,574
    More 💰 now. No disgusting smokers cough. Less paranoia. Ability to feel and deal without lame ass coping mechanism. 
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

First off, you should be commended for living a healthier lifestyle.  It isn’t easy to change a behavior that has been a constant part of your life for decades … doesn’t matter what the behavior is.  I would imagine that the physical withdrawal symptoms should wane over the course of two months.  Anxiety, irritability and sleep issues (insomnia / weird ass dreams) do hit. 

Then there is the emotional withdrawal … It isn’t good that your friends are not being supportive, and in fact trying to shame you even if it comes off as good natured.  That could be adding to your anxiety as well.  Your friends might not even realize it, so just bring it up and they should be supportive and respect your decision.  That is what good friends do.

I would try to get a decent walk in each day.  Somewhere without distractions if possible. 

• Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    Jason P said:

First off, you should be commended for living a healthier lifestyle.  It isn’t easy to change a behavior that has been a constant part of your life for decades … doesn’t matter what the behavior is.  I would imagine that the physical withdrawal symptoms should wane over the course of two months.  Anxiety, irritability and sleep issues (insomnia / weird ass dreams) do hit. 

Then there is the emotional withdrawal … It isn’t good that your friends are not being supportive, and in fact trying to shame you even if it comes off as good natured.  That could be adding to your anxiety as well.  Your friends might not even realize it, so just bring it up and they should be supportive and respect your decision.  That is what good friends do.

I would try to get a decent walk in each day.  Somewhere without distractions if possible. 

I believe this post has reached its end.  Jason P has said everything the OP needed to hear.  Well done sir!!!  Let's hope he heeds your advice.  
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    I can go multiple weeks without smoking or eating edibles as a matter of fact I haven’t smoked in about 15 days and I’m nor missing it! I have a great friend who is an organic grower and his product is super clean no anxiety no grogginess! But I totally understand when folks need to stop! I do love growing my own i get great pleasure from it. Good on you for deciding to step away 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,172
    Thanks everyone, I’ve thought about quitting even before covid putting it in perspective… I love the ritual of sharing with others, the smell, watching a movie/spinning a record… the whole believing it enhances experiences.  I just felt I needed a change up, since I’ve really always been doing it and wanted to see what happens. I’ve always been active, especially since lockdown 2020 I walk/run few days a week, gym 3 days a week, golf, tennis…. But have already noticed more stamina/ better breathing while playing tennis indoors lately… my eating has been really good last month, my god the shit ( crazy combos) you’d eat while HIGH and not even pay attention, eating late too. I feel more energy lately cause I’m not eating dumb stuff . 

Jason I have a great area for walks on north shore of Long Island… my house is 2.5 miles from the pier, I walk/run there and back all the time, last few days no cause of damn snow… but it’s a cool town with great shops

in no way am I trying to vilify weed, I just think I needed to break the routine and relying on it…for close to 30 years, no BS I was never dry… once I got down to my last 1/8 I’d be looking to re up… it’s a brave new world 😬

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,574
    I love that you're healthier. Kudos
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    CROJAM95 said:
    Ive been partaking since i was in High School, im 43 now...have slowed down to a little at night, edible here & there. Never was a burnout/stoner who smoked myself stupid....as mentioned night time/ concerts.....I cant smoke and work or do important shit, some people i know smoke all day...idk how they function

so I havent done ANY since around January 12th when I had covid , think from TOOL @ MSG......I didnt like the cough etc, and thought its probably time to hang up the pipe etc. Ive also had issues getting out of bed last few years, thinking im groggy from smoking and getting lil older....so the 1st few weeks i wasnt really craving it too much, last few days I feel a little cranky and anxious...I figure another few weeks I should level out, I mean as mentioned ive been at it long time

just curious if anyone else quit after a long time and what your experiences/ benefits youve seen?

Im getting shit from some buddies for being a quitter when its legal now..... I also felt that i smoked to reduce stress/anxiety....but that it may have gotten worse over the years due to having it in  my system

Last few years have been stressful ...just trying to mix it up and see if trying some lifestyle changes help

First of  all, congratulations on making a good decision for yourself.  I'm sorry you're catching some flack from some of your friends, but if they are true friends, they will get over it and hopefully realize there are better things to base a friendship on.

To answer your question, Yes, I have quite.  My first marijuana high was between my Junior and Senior high school years in 1968.  The last time I smoked pot was in the late spring of 2020, almost four years ago.  From 1968 to 2020, I quit a few times- I think the longest was for about 18 months in the late 90's.  But mostly, during all those years, I smoked pot regularly, but not in big quantities.  Most of the time, a toke or two in the evening, sometimes more on a weekend with friends.
    When COVID hit, I realized two things- I didn't want to keep chancing my lungs, and I wasn't enjoying it as much anyway.  In fact, it started to jack up my anxiety rather that relieve it.  I used to love the euphoria of getting high, and then it after all that time, it got to be a bummer.  It sounds to me like you are having some similar experiences.  I'm guessing after you've quit for awhile, your head and your body will tell you whether or not it was a good idea to quit.  We're all different, so only you will know.  For me, it was the right thing and I rarely even think about it.  If I want to relax, I'll have a beer or a glass of wine, but I'm a light weight, so that's about it.  Mostly, I medicate with music.

Best wishes and let us know how it goes!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,834
    👍 
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    edited February 18
    I quit January 2022. Maybe a 5mg edible 3 or 4 times since then. I enjoyed cannabis for 35 years and was a heavy smoker for 20 years. As I got older I simply did not enjoy it as much and it did not take much effort to quit. No withdrawal symptoms, no anxiety. I miss it at shows, but feel better refraining. I reached a point where physical and mental health is more important and having two teenagers was also an influence.  In the process of quitting alcohol which is much tougher. 14 days no alcohol!
    Post edited by Get_Right on
  • Options
    DatBoiBorikDatBoiBorik Posts: 15
    edited February 18
    Naturally I just cut down on my consumption . Wasn’t craving it like I used to, wanting to be high through out the day .  I’ve noticed that I’m more communicative and easy to talk with. My productivity has increased as well as my performance at work and in my personal life outside of work. What I gained, is new and (for the the most part) consistent healthy lifestyle changes. I’m on a healthy food diet helping me lose weight in areas that have had some health (skin) conditions/ diseases. They are now under control. I’m not eating lot of junk (processed) foods like I would do when stoned and having the munchies lol. I’m focused a whole lot more on my overall health and the quality control of what I consume and the air I breath in here at home and carefully choosing the right products that are organic and healthy to put in my stomach or on my hair , on my body. Positive changes overall . Still learning at the same time to better my life and my life expectancy . I’ll smoke once in a while. I bought a 8th yesterday after being sober for 3months. Rolled a joint and it’s still not gone . I’ll take a few hits and put it out. Not trying to get stoned anymore, instead  just to relax from the physical exhaustion from working in a professional restaurant kitchen.
    Other important note is the amount of money I been able to save.  Every three days or so I would score. That was the worst part
    Post edited by DatBoiBorik on