Options

Ticket price perspective (ACDC)

ACDC is £350 for front section standing at Wembley and £300 GA standing 🤮

I'm pretty shocked at the prices for PJ too but this adds a little perspective.

Comments

• Options
    LostDog_72LostDog_72 London Posts: 74
    On TM right now, yes they are. But I bought front pit tickets from Giga & Tours for £145 each including fees. General standing were £130.

Let's see how much TM charge for PJ standing tickets when general release go on sale next week 
  • Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,177
    beano.79 said:
    ACDC is £350 for front section standing at Wembley and £300 GA standing 🤮

I'm pretty shocked at the prices for PJ too but this adds a little perspective.
    That's dynamic pricing they were 145 and 130 or something originally 
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 914
    Tyle Childers is playingthe same week as PJ in Missoula and charging more. It’s never going back and $200’is the new normal 😢 
  • Options
    JR86440JR86440 Posts: 742
    $185 isn't so bad compared to other bands. Just think all they people they need to pay. Divide their profit by 6. Just skip a few Chipotle burritos and ticket paid for :-)     Life if is only going to get more expensive with 35 trillion in debt and counting, 1 trillion in debt payments every year. Unfortunately cost of living only going to get worse
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    edited February 16
    JR86440 said:
    $185 isn't so bad compared to other bands. Just think all they people they need to pay. Divide their profit by 6. Just skip a few Chipotle burritos and ticket paid for :-)     Life if is only going to get more expensive with 35 trillion in debt and counting, 1 trillion in debt payments every year. Unfortunately cost of living only going to get worse
    I think its less that and more the fact a band's revenue is mostly ticket sales and less album sales than it used to be.  I know inflation is high, but it hasn't risen as fast as ticket prices have from 20 years ago
    My first concert in college was AC/DC in 2000, paid $23 for that ticket. Was an amazing show. I used to see Better than Ezra a few times a year for $20 during the 2000s.
    I remember passing up some great bands because I didn't want to pay around $60 at the time. Bands I wish I saw like U2 and RHCP. 
    But now the norm is to pay more for tickets. They know people are willing to pay more for live music, so they charge more,
    I don't blame anyone, if I had a business I'd maximize my profits too.

• Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 355
    KN219077 said:
    Tyle Childers is playingthe same week as PJ in Missoula and charging more. It’s never going back and $200’is the new normal 😢 
    Two good shows in a week. Not a bad place to be that week. 
  • Options
    JR86440JR86440 Posts: 742
    mace1229 said:
    JR86440 said:
    I think its less that and more the fact a band's revenue is mostly ticket sales and less album sales than it used to be.  I know inflation is high, but it hasn't risen as fast as ticket prices have from 20 years ago
    My first concert in college was AC/DC in 2000, paid $23 for that ticket. Was an amazing show. I used to see Better than Ezra a few times a year for $20 during the 2000s.
    I remember passing up some great bands because I didn't want to pay around $60 at the time. Bands I wish I saw like U2 and RHCP. 
    But now the norm is to pay more for tickets. They know people are willing to pay more for live music, so they charge more,

Great point. Although I bet they more than make up for it with all their merch. Gotta think that's how they make all their money. Low overhead. Huge volume
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    JR86440 said:
    mace1229 said:
    JR86440 said:

Great point. Although I bet they more than make up for it with all their merch. Gotta think that's how they make all their money. Low overhead. Huge volume
    Yeah, concert shirts are ridiculous. $40+ for a t-shirt that probably cost $2 to make. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,356
    mace1229 said:
    JR86440 said:

That's an economic theory called price discovery.  Ideally you price your good so supply = demand so you can sell all of your good. The challenge is you're not usually clairvoyant and know what that price is. So you keep increasing the price until demand starts to drop off.

Apparently in the concert industry we still haven't hit that point. Will we hit that point?  How much are the masses (even people with the disposable) able/willing to pay.     I've been astonished that the demand doesn't seem to abate.  We all love concerts so much :)
  • Options
    JD87070JD87070 Posts: 155
    Zod said:
    mace1229 said:
    JR86440 said:

That's an economic theory called price discovery.  Ideally you price your good so supply = demand so you can sell all of your good. The challenge is you're not usually clairvoyant and know what that price is. So you keep increasing the price until demand starts to drop off.

Apparently in the concert industry we still haven't hit that point. Will we hit that point?  How much are the masses (even people with the disposable) able/willing to pay.     I've been astonished that the demand doesn't seem to abate.  We all love concerts so much :)
    A large part of this problem is the perception that Stubhub is the place to buy tickets. Especially in the younger generation, they don’t even know ticketmaster exists! They either just Google tickets for a specific concert and one of the resale places come up at the top of the list so they click it, or they go directly to Stubhub because it has(d) a reputation of a place to get good deals on tickets. I went through this with my daughter when she would tell me about a show and then say how much tickets were and i’d go look and find way cheaper ones on Ticketmaster. But i even know adults as well who skip TM and go straight to aftermarket, see the price and either pay it or decide it’s too much and don’t go, without looking into other options. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,356
    edited February 16
    JD87070 said:
    Zod said:
    mace1229 said:
    JR86440 said:

A large part of this problem is the perception that Stubhub is the place to buy tickets. Especially in the younger generation, they don’t even know ticketmaster exists! They either just Google tickets for a specific concert and one of the resale places come up at the top of the list so they click it, or they go directly to Stubhub because it has(d) a reputation of a place to get good deals on tickets. I went through this with my daughter when she would tell me about a show and then say how much tickets were and i’d go look and find way cheaper ones on Ticketmaster. But i even know adults as well who skip TM and go straight to aftermarket, see the price and either pay it or decide it’s too much and don’t go, without looking into other options. 
    I've run into that a few times with work events and colleagues.   No idea they'd bought marked up reseller tickets.

I forget sometimes that we grew up with the evolution of ticketing the rise of TM.   Most of us going to concerts for decades know the ins and outs.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options

uncle matty
  • Options
    Concerts are more expensive now. Thats just a reality. Perspective, I've seen tix start at $250-300 more recently for artists/bands nowhere close to PJ. In comparison $175 isn't that bad. 
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,028
    • Main Pitch Standing: £115
    • Front Pitch Standing: £130
    • Seats: £55 - £145
    These were the actual prices.

So how about that perspective?
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,453
    Concerts are more expensive now. Thats just a reality. Perspective, I've seen tix start at $250-300 more recently for artists/bands nowhere close to PJ. In comparison $175 isn't that bad. 
    Exactly. Creed tickets were like $300 for pit. I had to laugh. RHCP, Green Day, Blink 182 were all that much or higher 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,373
    SHZA said:
    Exactly. Creed tickets were like $300 for pit. I had to laugh. RHCP, Green Day, Blink 182 were all that much or higher 

$300 US? You're kidding right?!?!

• Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 2,010
    If it's a pit in front of the stage and its a big band, $300 is very fair. It's charging nearly $200 for junk seats in the upper corner of the 300 level that is a bit much for me.
  • Options
    njhaley1njhaley1 Valley of the Sun Posts: 278
    Sarava said:
    If it's a pit in front of the stage and its a big band, $300 is very fair. It's charging nearly $200 for junk seats in the upper corner of the 300 level that is a bit much for me.
    Exactly the same thing every ticket reseller would say, because there's little chance they'd recover their "investment" and they can't even sell for less. Meanwhile,for the same price you can get pit - but can't sell them for more. This is all part of a larger plan to limit resellers. For me and my family, we'll be OK getting in the door at that price.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,743
    SHZA said:
    Creed will take prices higher...
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,743
    JR86440 said:
    They have to pay a lot more than six people. And the touring band is now seven people anyway, but Boom and Josh are not getting equal shares to the five partners in Pearl Jam Inc.

I'm not sure why you're making a connection between the national debt and cost-of-living increases. The national debt has been on a steady upward trajectory since the 1980s. For most of that period, until the economic disruption caused by COVID, the U.S. generally enjoyed low inflation.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,453
    demetrios said:
    SHZA said:

$300 US? You're kidding right?!?!

$290 USD with tax. There's a VIP package that's over $1k 

• Options
    EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 738
    edited February 17
    SHZA said:
    I believe last time RHCP came through my town pit tix were $500+? Good for them. $175 isn't cheap. But they could charge a significant amount more. If I can get in the pit for that.....I consider that a deal. See U2. See the Eagles. See Adele. See Justin Timberlake. See Springstein. etc etc etc

Look at the cost of some of these VIP experiences. $175 is nothing compared to that. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,201

Given your member name it’s surprising to see so many Islander tickets, especially some from the Cup years. Different type of Ranger? Wow, nice  collection!
  • Options
    mrk2 said:

You highlight the issue perfectly. PJ doesn’t sell tickets for 55 quid. It’s one price fits all, so the upper seats will cost more than other artists. Some regions may see empty sections if this policy continues in the future as prices continue to rise

that’s probably why they added a second cost tier for about the same price. Getting the senior member fans ready to pay significantly more for their legacy seats in the future by having separate lottery categories for the upper/lower deck.

When tickets were $90 we all got a great deal. Now that concerts are so expensive, $175 is too much for upper tickets, and it’s subsidizing the cost of the beat seats and GA , which is what is not “fair.”
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,718
    mrk2 said:

It makes Pearl Jam tickets more reasonable. 
  • Options
    The Cure is who we should use for perspective
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,844
    Yep - both Blink and the Chilis at fenway were $200 after fees for some mediocre seats. Shit got expensive.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    yanknuckyanknuck Peterborough, ON Posts: 57
    And then there's maybe "lesser know" artists such as Billy Strings, Richard Thompson, Adrian Belew, Los Lobos etc still charging less than $100. for the most part. Granted the most popular acts can charge and sell out at the high prices. Supply and demand plain and simple. I'm just glad I got to see a lot of my favs before the shit hit the fan. Unfortunately, we can't turn back the clock.
  • Options
    yanknuck said:
    And then there's maybe "lesser know" artists such as Billy Strings, Richard Thompson, Adrian Belew, Los Lobos etc still charging less than $100. for the most part. Granted the most popular acts can charge and sell out at the high prices. Supply and demand plain and simple. I'm just glad I got to see a lot of my favs before the shit hit the fan. Unfortunately, we can't turn back the clock.
    Smaller shows have much smaller crews, much less equipment, and much less trucking costs. The overhead is much lower. What makes PJ an expensive show is the premium seating locations and GA fetch almost the same price as the furthest upper level tickets. There are no uppers for $90 for a PJ show (that other bands charge) because their policy has always been same price for all.
  • Options
    yanknuckyanknuck Peterborough, ON Posts: 57
    yanknuck said:
    Smaller shows have much smaller crews, much less equipment, and much less trucking costs. The overhead is much lower. What makes PJ an expensive show is the premium seating locations and GA fetch almost the same price as the furthest upper level tickets. There are no uppers for $90 for a PJ show (that other bands charge) because their policy has always been same price for all.
    Oh I get what you and others have said about the various reasons why and everyone is right. I try and rationalize paying for premium seats, I'll never bite. As long as I'm in the venue (within reason) I'm happy. As long as there is demand for premium seats, they'll be offered. PJ won't be touring forever, and neither will I. A few years back I balked on seeing Jeff Beck because tickets were over 200.Back then it was way above the average. I regretted it ever since. If you're going to any of the shows, I know you'll have a ball. With any luck, Ill be going to a couple myself. Cheers!