Music Editing Software/Programs???

soulshinesoulshine Posts: 120
edited March 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm looking for something that will take the lyrics/words out of music. Is there such a thing? If so, is it incredibly difficult or expensive? My daughter is looking for a 1 minute 30 sec. floor music (gymnastics), she's been at this for years and we've never found great music and would like to make our own....we've heard it (original songs without lyrics, edited and mixed/cropped together) at college meets, and elite competitions and their doing it somehow. Thought I'd start with my fellow PJ fans and see if you had any ideas?

Thanks!
Make sure the fortune that you seek
Is the fortune that you need ~ BenHarper

http://www.myspace.com/soulshine70
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    If you are asking about software that will take a song from a CD, and erase the vocals, no there really isn't anything that will do this. After a record is mixed and mastered, it's a bit like a cake that's been baked and frosted. Removing vocals from printed (CD/Record/Tape) track would be like removing the eggs from a chocolate layer cake.
  • soulshinesoulshine Posts: 120
    IDgotI wrote:
    If you are asking about software that will take a song from a CD, and erase the vocals, no there really isn't anything that will do this. After a record is mixed and mastered, it's a bit like a cake that's been baked and frosted. Removing vocals from printed (CD/Record/Tape) track would be like removing the eggs from a chocolate layer cake.

Oh well. Thanks for the reply.....

Just from googling it, there's a software company, Antbytes, that claims their software will do it (they advertise it as making your own karaoke)...but no telling how the end result would be....or if I'd even be able to figure it out! We'll keep searching, and in the meantime, maybe I'll make a chocolate cake, you made me hungry... :)

• IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    I figured I'd keep it simple and not clutter things with the disclaimer that every now and again someone will offer a gimmick that claims it can do this. I have a Roland Looping pedal for example, call the RC 50 that claims to have a "remove vocals" function... so that a guitar player can then jam along with just the band on a cd. These things never really work. What they do is provide EQ that tries to duck out the sound around where the human voice is from the center of a stereo image. Most music is mixed with the singer set to the center of a stereo image. Anyway, the problem with this approach is... not all music, or even parts of a song are mixed that way... there are a lot of instrument sounds that get knocked out in the process, and there is always spill over from any center panning into the left and right channels. So... in the end it sounds like making things just sound bad... with a the vocalist still adubible, but sounding as though he or she is using an old shoe box as though it were a meagaphone. Don't waste your money is my advice. Enjoy the cake!
  • soulshinesoulshine Posts: 120
    Yeah, I was kinda thinking the end result might be lame.... Thanks for the advice....

I went with chocolate chip cookies instead :)

So...if anyone out there who plays is interested in making a 1 minute 30 sec jam for her/us we could maybe pay for it??? I don't know....her music choices just suck, and she loves music.