Options

How many coloured variants vinyl will the album be released in?

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,910
    More than three. "If Tay-Tay can do it. So can we"
    CM189191 said:
    MS149515 said:
    BSully said:
    3 for the win...
    4, there’s an RSD version coming out. 

I was thinking the clear / indie was the RSD version, no?

That's what I was thinking too. 

INDIE EXCLUSIVE CRYSTAL VINYL  WITH  24-PAGE BOOKLET

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,972
    I don’t think theyll go nuts, but I can see as many as Earthling. 

Indie clear
    10c hi melt
    std black
    maybe a VMP variant? Or Target? 
  • Options
    cbeitingcbeiting Posts: 78
    I'm really on the fence about the 10C version or the RSD variant. 
    Member since 1996...
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604
    CM189191 said:
    MS149515 said:
    BSully said:
    3 for the win...
    4, there’s an RSD version coming out. 

I was thinking the clear / indie was the RSD version, no?
    I doubt it.  
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,873
    KW6232 said:
    Pearl Jam is celebrating indie record stores with the release of a special edition of Dark Matter on April 20. Only at participating stores as part of Record Store Day. Get more information and find stores at www.recordstoreday.com

this is at the bottom of the news release on the homepage.

Saw that, too. Pretty sure that means the RSD version will be something other than the clear.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    Manu117Manu117 Burlington VT Posts: 105
    man... consumerism at its finest... people posting on fb that they ordered every single variant is so cringe
  • Options
    The INDIE EXCLUSIVE CRYSTAL VINYL WITH 24-PAGE BOOKLET has been updated now to CRYSTAL CLEAR VINYL  WITH  24-PAGE BOOKLET
  • Options
    gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    Gotta be a glow in the dark for RSD, right?
  • Options

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,065
    edited February 13
    Yikes. That's hideous. 

Toxic Avenger edition
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Not a great color, but I do love that effect.

Maybe it will be more yellow than olive.
  • Options
    Manu117 said:
    man... consumerism at its finest... people posting on fb that they ordered every single variant is so cringe
    IDK. I err on the side of just let people enjoy stuff if they have the means. 

I think the red is good enough for me tho.

• Options
    Manu117 said:
    IDK. I err on the side of just let people enjoy stuff if they have the means. 

I think the red is good enough for me tho.

I made a deal with myself when I saw that pearl Jam started going this route of several colour variants with their re-issues - that I go strictly with the tenclub version going forward whatever the colours might be. The same if there is a reiusse I do not have.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 612
    Two. E.g. One retail, and one for tenclub/indiestores
    I usually get all the different colors for bands I love unless they get stupid like the Chili Peppers did recently.
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    demetrios said:

Woot! Don't have to worry about trying to get that one (no shame on anyone into it - there'll be one more on the shelves for you)!
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

• Options
    Manu117 said:

Collectors gonna collect.

• Options
    KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,249
    Two. E.g. One retail, and one for tenclub/indiestores
    mpedone said:
    demetrios said:

Woot! Don't have to worry about trying to get that one (no shame on anyone into it - there'll be one more on the shelves for you)!
    its cool but I'll live with my ten club version 
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,897
    demetrios said:

I think this will look a lot better in person. Hopefully I will be able to get one easily, since I ain't standing in line for hours. RSD just isn't fun anymore for non-flippers. Just speaking for myself.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    cbeitingcbeiting Posts: 78
    I like it. I just emailed the 10C to cancel my preorder and I'll get the RSD variant. My local place will probably have a bajillion copies. 
    Member since 1996...
  • Options
    For those who don't buy a lot of vinyl, are not collectors of variants, and just want the record...the black version is gonna be half price everywhere before the Fall tour leg starts
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,746
    mpedone said:
    demetrios said:

I’ll get it with no F’s given. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    bonebone Posts: 498
    For those who don't buy a lot of vinyl, are not collectors of variants, and just want the record...the black version is gonna be half price everywhere before the Fall tour leg starts
    And the black editions tend to have better quality control/less pressing issues.  
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,065
    edited February 13
    bone said:
    And the black editions tend to have better quality control/less pressing issues.  
    And nowadays, the print run for the "standard" editions are sometimes (often?) lower and more "rare" than for the coloured one(s)

(not sure about the quality control/pressing issues thing though. If that has ever been prooven)
  • Options
    cbeiting said:
    I like it. I just emailed the 10C to cancel my preorder and I'll get the RSD variant. My local place will probably have a bajillion copies. 

My local record store will probably have 6 copies, depending on the edition size which I'm guessing will be 10,000. 
  • Options
    BC62528BC62528 Posts: 200
    edited February 14
    Wasn't one of the reasons for discontinuing the Fan Club Single due to challenges with procuring vinyl - now we are getting multiple versions of the same music...
    Post edited by BC62528 on
  • Options
    BC62528 said:
    Wasn't one of the reasons for discontinuing the Fan Club Single due to challenges with procuring vinyl - now we are getting multiple versions of the same music...

The fan club singles were made in house. Not done by Universal Music / Republic Records. 
  • Options
    AA295481AA295481 Posts: 100
    edited February 14
    My guess is Target will have their own exclusive when the Album drops.
  • Options
    BC62528 said:
    They never gave a reason. My guess is low interest from the band and management.

• Options
    bone said:

(not sure about the quality control/pressing issues thing though. If that has ever been prooven)
    Its always been dependent on the plant were its pressed and style. QC issues increase when the biscuits are mixed (split/tri/quad). Technically the natural color is a cloudy clear (Look at the UHQRs or Mofi One step, which don't use black and use a high quality pvc that isn't black). The theory is the carbon used for black creates less surface noise, but I don't think thats been proven either. 

In reality, it all comes down to the plant where its pressed and the quality of the materials used.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    ZoSoTim said:
    I usually get all the different colors for bands I love unless they get stupid like the Chili Peppers did recently.
    How ‘bout the Stones with their 30 different covers in every MLB team’s colors?!