Options

RIP Wayne Kramer

GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
https://blabbermouth.net/news/mc5s-wayne-kramer-dead-at-75
It's a shame they didn't get in the RRHOF before he passed. 

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736
    OH man... very sad. 
    I didn't know MC5 was not in the RRHOF.  That's just wrong.
    R.I.P. Wayne Kramer.  Thank you for the great music.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    brianlux said:
    OH man... very sad. 
    I don’t know what it (RRHOF) means. I don't think it means anything. That's just how I feel. There's too many bands, and you've heard it all before.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    OH man... very sad. 
    I don’t know what it (RRHOF) means. I don't think it means anything. That's just how I feel. There's too many bands, and you've heard it all before.

Honestly, the RRHOF means next to nothing to me either. I actaully don't really care who gets in.  It's the exclusions that sometimes bug me (though only oh so briefly).  I kind of look at the whole thing from afar and think, "Well OK, you admitted those guys, and that band, and them, but you left out such and such?  That's pretty lame, RRHOF." 

I would feel a bit the same way about some other bands who have been excluded (or not yet eligible) of whom I'm a big fan, like The Replacements or Dinosaur Jr., but then, if those bands did get inducted I would get hypocritically pissed because I actually like it that such bands don't fit that scene.

For years, I've been collecting postcards or postcard sized photos of favorite musician and bands hoping that one day when I finally have enough wall space in my book room, I'll frame them and put up my own little "music wall of fame".  I'll have to keep an eye out for an MC5 to be included! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
     I agree the RRHOF doesn't mean what it did when it was started but I also think it's easy for me to say it means nothing when it could very well matter to the artists that have been excluded. A band like the MC5 IMO is one that their influence is much larger than their popularity. If such an organization exists then groups like the MC5 should be included and not just mainstream ones like the Stones or Led Zeppelin. I agree with your point about it possibly diminishing your opinion of a "indie" type band if they get inducted but I also think the recognition could introduce their music to more people. I have a 16 year old nephew who recently started listening to the Beatles and it's been really cool discussing music and introducing him to bands he doesn't know. Anyway I just think its a shame they have been left out especially now most of them have passed away.
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 607
    Kick out the jams, motherfucker. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155

• Options
    GB281198 said:
     I agree the RRHOF doesn't mean what it did when it was started but I also think it's easy for me to say it means nothing when it could very well matter to the artists that have been excluded. A band like the MC5 IMO is one that their influence is much larger than their popularity. If such an organization exists then groups like the MC5 should be included and not just mainstream ones like the Stones or Led Zeppelin. I agree with your point about it possibly diminishing your opinion of a "indie" type band if they get inducted but I also think the recognition could introduce their music to more people. I have a 16 year old nephew who recently started listening to the Beatles and it's been really cool discussing music and introducing him to bands he doesn't know. Anyway I just think its a shame they have been left out especially now most of them have passed away.

All quite well said, GB.  And good points made!
    How cool for you to be able to share music with your nephew.  Mine nephews all grown up now- some with kids of their own- but when two of them were young and lived with me part time, I used to play records and soon enough they started liking some of the stuff I played.  Neil Young and Nirvana became favorites, and one of them got into Lou Reed.  Good times!