Options

Ohana Fest returns September 27th - 29th 2024

Comments

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,495
    cutz said:
    MD190661 said:
    What's the capacity for this festival? 
    I’ve seen 20k referenced. Partly what makes it even better is that it’s not so massive
    So, If I go I have to hang in the back and I will able to at least somewhat see?
    Kinda sloped upward toward back of main lawn area and there is a hill near the cluster of palm trees. Honestly I often stand near secondary stage and have a great time... can see enough, I'm there to hear the music abd the screens are on at the second stage too. I've stood all different places over the 8 years, bleachers too, and it's about being there for me. I like to move away from the drunks 
    Yeah, good to also stay away from the drunks.

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,707
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    MD190661 said:
    I’ve seen 20k referenced. Partly what makes it even better is that it’s not so massive
    So, If I go I have to hang in the back and I will able to at least somewhat see?
    Yes, and if you want to get closer, it’s pretty easy to do around 7:00 or so. Things will tighten up at the main stage just before PJ/Neil/PJ start up. 
    Thanks for that, but I have to hang in the back or off to the extreme sides.

It sucks getting old=HA
    They’ll be a kids zone off the back left corner of the soundboard which is pretty chill. Most if them will be asleep so be careful not to step on any of them 😂
  • Options
    cutz said:
    MD190661 said:
    As of 2021 (and I’m sure someone can confirm 2022/23) there were bleachers at the back with a pretty much straight ahead look at the stage.  A bit far but no worse than say the far end of the 100 level at an arena.  
    Bleachers still there. Last year we chose those rather than try and get close and fight crowds for all the headliners. It worked great for us. Very nice sightlines and not that far away. The rest of the time we walked around.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,216
    So If I have understood it right. It is impossible to find somewhere to stay for the festival if you can not drive? Nowhere within public transport distance (to and from at night)?

And the "shuttle" that their website talks about, there is no information about it so you won't know how and where this will be going (in relation to finding somewhere to stay...)

And you can't bring a tent to the festival
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,332
    So If I have understood it right. It is impossible to find somewhere to stay for the festival if you can not drive? Nowhere within public transport distance (to and from at night)?

And the "shuttle" that their website talks about, there is no information about it so you won't know how and where this will be going (in relation to finding somewhere to stay...)

There are a few hotels within walking distance. They’re certainly sold out at this point; your best bet is to buy one of the hotel packages the festival has available.

No tents allowed on festival grounds, correct.

The shuttle service is a fleet of buses that take people from a large parking lot to the festival site. There is one pickup location (as yet unannounced) and one drop off location.

While there is … decent (probably not by European standards) public transportation in large American cities (we don’t rent a car when we’re in Boston or New York), Southern California is enormous and sprawling. The size and extent of the sprawl might be hard to visualize if you’ve never been there. 

I recommend either 

1) getting a hotel package through the festival 

2) taking your chances and waiting for the shuttle site to be announced (here, you risk that there aren’t any nearby rooms available)

3) Find a decent affordable hotel in Mission Viejo or another nearby town and pay to take Uber or Lyft to the venue each day.

Some people use Airbnb; I don’t have any experience with that option. I do know that some cities, such as San Diego, are cracking down on short term rentals so that could affect supply.

I’d also suggest making a trip to Ohana part of a longer vacation, since you’re coming this far. That time of year is known as “locals’ summer,” since the weather is nice and the tourists have gone home.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    edited May 1

I’d also suggest making a trip to Ohana part of a longer vacation, since you’re coming this far. That time of year is known as “locals’ summer,” since the weather is nice and the tourists have gone home.
    Hehe. I have, if I go but not likely, planned to spend some days in LA. While on the west coast, I want to visit 

1) The Comedy Store (maybe)

2) Tarantinos Cinema The New Beverly

3) Maybe the Nightmare on Elm Street-house

4) Maybe another concert at The Forum or something

Haha. Not that classic touristy things maybe. But that is what I have in mind :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

There are a few hotels within walking distance. They’re certainly sold out at this point; your best bet is to buy one of the hotel packages the festival has available.

The shuttle service is a fleet of buses that take people from a large parking lot to the festival site. There is one pickup location (as yet unannounced) and one drop off location.

While there is … decent (probably not by European standards) public transportation in large American cities (we don’t rent a car when we’re in Boston or New York), Southern California is enormous and sprawling. The size and extent of the sprawl might be hard to visualize if you’ve never been there. 

I recommend either 

2) taking your chances and waiting for the shuttle site to be announced (here, you risk that there aren’t any nearby rooms available)

3) Find a decent affordable hotel in Mission Viejo or another nearby town and pay to take Uber or Lyft to the venue each day.

Some people use Airbnb; I don’t have any experience with that option. I do know that some cities, such as San Diego, are cracking down on short term rentals so that could affect supply.

Yeah... Tbh I didn't consider Uber. Not using it or anything similar here in Sweden (exists though...) 

And with there being a festival, I'm guessing there will be plenty of Uber (and similar) drivers around when the festival ends for the night. SO YOU DON't END UP STRANDED
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,576

I recommend either 

Yeah... Tbh I didn't consider Uber. Not using it or anything similar here in Sweden (exists though...) 

And with there being a festival, I'm guessing there will be plenty of Uber (and similar) drivers around when the festival ends for the night. SO YOU DON't END UP STRANDED
    Uber will have very expensive surge pricing after the shows.
    You really should look at renting so you can get around more easily and enjoy the popular SoCal hobby of driving and sitting in traffic.
  • Options
    Yes, taking Uber or Lyft to the venue will be cheaper and easier than getting a ride afterwards, for sure. I’d plan on walking down the road a bit before even trying to get a ride.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,495
    cutz said:
    MD190661 said:
    As of 2021 (and I’m sure someone can confirm 2022/23) there were bleachers at the back with a pretty much straight ahead look at the stage.  A bit far but no worse than say the far end of the 100 level at an arena.  
    Bleachers still there. Last year we chose those rather than try and get close and fight crowds for all the headliners. It worked great for us. Very nice sightlines and not that far away. The rest of the time we walked around.
    If I go the Bleachers sounds like a good place for me.

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    What if someone who stays a bit away from the festival/Dana point where hotels exist, and gonna go to and leave the festival every night I can catch a lift with and chip in for fuel etc... :)
  • Options
    On Instagram the festival is saying that hotel packages are still available. The area around Doheny is nice and there are places to eat — as well as the beach, of course. So you might want to look at that option; it would be your simplest solution, but I couldn’t say if it would be the cheapest option.

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,053
    Just got my flight today. Have had my hotel for months. So excited for this festival!!
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,578
    Hehe. I have, if I go but not likely, planned to spend some days in LA. While on the west coast, I want to visit 

2) Tarantinos Cinema The New Beverly

It's a movie theater. Prepare to be underwhelmed.

If you like movies, check out the Academy Museum while you're here. And don't miss the Getty Center. It may be touristy, but it's awesome. I've taken many people there over the years and no one has ever done anything less than rave about it. I would suggest going to see our space shuttle (Endeavour) at the California ScienCenter, too, but it will not be on display in September because they're building a new pavilion for it.

I never received the shuttle passes I bought for Ohana in 2022. I'm not going to bother buying them this year.

I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,469
    GlowGirl said:
    Just got my flight today. Have had my hotel for months. So excited for this festival!!
    Remember it's very small... not alot to do there. I find listening to some of the great environmental speakers and innovators really interesting and inspiring.  
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 637
    What time of day does it start?  1st timer doing 3 GA.
  • Options
    TA243471TA243471 The Great Northwest Posts: 1,216
    edited May 2
    YAKIMATSU said:
    What time of day does it start?  1st timer doing 3 GA.

1st stage usually starts at 12:30
    Eddie usually comes out and watches at least 1 of the early shows.  From the wings.
    Post edited by TA243471 on
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
    • 2024: Vancouver 1, Portland, Las Vegas 1&2
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 637
    Thanks.
  • Options
    edited May 2
    On Instagram the festival is saying that hotel packages are still available. The area around Doheny is nice and there are places to eat — as well as the beach, of course. So you might want to look at that option; it would be your simplest solution, but I couldn’t say if it would be the cheapest option.

But they are all for two people :/

I am alone :(
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Is there a lot of crime and stuff in that part of the US? Is it scary/spooky at night?
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,576
    Is there a lot of crime and stuff in that part of the US? Is it scary/spooky at night?
    Responses to this ought to be fun
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,469
    Don't know where to really go with this..lol.... one of wealthier areas but crime is everywhere if there is opportunity... meaning tourists wandering around. 
  • Options
    The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 545
    nope. ive done almost all of the full weekends at ohana and never had an issue. #1 theres a ton of police around since they are directing traffic after the festival lets out. #2 tons of festival goers hanging around so you're with the same people you were just watching the bands with. #3 plenty of well lit restaurants/shops/gas stations still open right across the street. ive waited over an hour basically each time for an uber to show and its completely fine.

also for the record i live in marina del rey an hour or so north and theres more nonsense going at night by me than in dana point
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
    Vegas 1+2 '24
  • Options
    The scariest things are the gas and real estate prices. 

South Orange County is affluent, suburban, residential.
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 606
    The most dangerous criminals you’ll see are the flippers at the merch stand.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,707
    You’ll feel like you’re the most dangerous outlaw when you’re trying to hunt down an Orange County weed store. 
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,365
    Ohana location is not in a dangerous area.  Biggest risk is being stranded if you don’t have a good transportation plan.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    norman_nassernorman_nasser Posts: 18
    Hi all! This'll be our first Ohana. How does it work for the headliners? Would they both likely be on the same stage? I'm there for PJ, my wife for Alanis. I've never been, so are there better places to watch from and not get into the thick of the drunken mob? (I assume there's gonna be one, ya?) What time is reasonable to head to the venue during the days? We're going on Saturday and Sunday. Thanks!!!
  • Options
    RedMosquitoSmile28RedMosquitoSmile28 Posts: 331
    edited May 3
    Hi all! This'll be our first Ohana. How does it work for the headliners? Would they both likely be on the same stage? I'm there for PJ, my wife for Alanis. I've never been, so are there better places to watch from and not get into the thick of the drunken mob? (I assume there's gonna be one, ya?) What time is reasonable to head to the venue during the days? We're going on Saturday and Sunday. Thanks!!!
    Alanis will be on the main stage right before Pearl Jam. She will play for an hour most likely. There are two stages, but they are right next to each other, so the acts alternate until the last two acts (the leaders into the headliners). Once the schedule is out it will also say who is performing where and when. This setup makes it easy to move back and forth, kind of camp in-between, walk around, whatever. 

If you can hack it, I'd try to spend as much time inside and listening as possible. You will find some cool acts you didn't know about and it isn't as crowded earlier so you will get a little more freedom to move around and kind of soak it all in.

I haven't really experienced a drunken mob there, but for Pearl Jam people will gather in the front of the main stage earlier than for other acts, so it will fill quickly. There will be plenty that get in as soon as they can so they can get the rail and then camp there all day. By the time the leadins are performing it will be pretty full directly center of the main stage. It still may be the easiest you will ever be able to get close, but if you want to do so I'd do so before Alanis starts. We got pretty close at Encore and did that before Beck played. It will get crowded, though, if that bothers you. If so maybe hang out more to the side or back near the walkway.

There are also bleachers that aren't bad at all. We did that the second night at Encore. Also just chose to do it last year every night. Those will fill too, but it will be slower. Also easier to find your spot if you need to go to the bathroom or something.

It's a simple setup overall and you will be able to figure it out and navigate it pretty quickly. 
    Post edited by RedMosquitoSmile28 on
  • Options
    edited May 3
    My card works everywhere else, and I have checked by using it also now on another site. But at the ohana site:

"We're unable to process your payment at this time. Please reenter your payment information."

Fuck this shit. Ofc the payment won't work without any reason to why exactly. When it works EVERYWHERE ELSE and is a valid card.

Have emailed them, but I guess that won't help.

EDIT: From googling it seems Front Gate Tickets is a shit company with an awful lot of disappointed customers... only place ever where my card has been declined (for no reason)...

Buy from Discogs and eBay etc using paypal all the time - WHY WONT IT WORK HERE ON THIS FRONT GATE TICKETS SHIIT SITE. OR MY CREDIT CARD

EDIT 2: And the number to Front Gate Tickets they themselves provide doesn't connect. Lol
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on