SRV was better than you

parchyparchy Posts: 205
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Buy the DVD that has his Austin City Limits performances on it... I bought it, and I'm telling you, it will convince you of the man's place in history, and makes valid the argument that Stevie is better than Jimi...

I'm a believer, and I'm not just saying that because I live in Austin... I really think he had more balls to his style than Jimi did... not by a lot, but I think he was better...
Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    SRV was able to stand tall because he stood on Jimi's shoulders...

But he made the most of it. Those ACL shows were amazing. So is the SRV tribute show, with Double Trouble and rotating guitars and vocals...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • parchyparchy Posts: 205
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    SRV was able to stand tall because he stood on Jimi's shoulders...

That's just a question of originality... I'm talking about Stevie's skills... I think he was a smidge better than Jimi...

Then it comes down to the question of who was better, the originator or the perfector...

Stevie was pretty original himself.... look at those clothes!
  • Probably is all around a better guitarist, but Stevie knew that he wouldn't be anywhere if it wasn't for Jimi. And he also adored Jimi, but whatever. I love both.
  • parchyparchy Posts: 205
    Originally posted by DaytimeDilemma
    Probably is all around a better guitarist, but Stevie knew that he wouldn't be anywhere if it wasn't for Jimi. And he also adored Jimi, but whatever. I love both.

For sure... I think to guitar, Jimi was more influential, but I think Stevie was a little better... and I like his original stuff better... and usually, the only versions of Little Wing/Voodoo Chile I listen to are Stevie's...
  • C-minorC-minor Posts: 77
    Jimi = The Innovator

Stevie = The Journyman (taking it to the next level)

MCcready = Keeping it ALIVE

That kind sums it up for me
    This is the greatest band in the world
    -Ben Harper-MSG 1 2003 -7-8
  • SRV at Austin City limits is great
    I can't say he's worse or better than Hendrix. I never thought of it as a contest.

They're both outstanding, but with a different soul and energy to each of them:)

I'm glad I'm old enough to have seen both of them live,, hendrix twice, Stevie ray several. I think the second time I saw Hendrix, without the holding the guitar behind his back and playing with his teeth, is still one of the greatest concerts I've ever seen.

I saw Stevie Ray in Austin once, as a matter of fact. Buddy Guy was playing up the street that night, and Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder were playing down the street.

It was like,,,,,,, "Right...........I'm gonna play live in this town!?":eek:
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Hey lets give credit to Tommy Shannon Stevies bass player too!!!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Not even in the same building as Jimi.