Options

Hardest song to play and sing at the same time?

parchyparchy Posts: 205
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Some Dave Matthews songs are so ridiculous... I'm trying to learn 'Granny' right now, and the guitar part is easy enough, but the rhythm is the weirdest thing I've ever heard, and he chimes in with his voice at the weirdest times.... there's like no cadence when you're just playing it by yourself...
Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    dave mathews is an alien...

i can't play anything remotely complicated while singing. i just don't have the skill.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    dave mathews is an alien...

i can't play anything remotely complicated while singing. i just don't have the skill.

I can't either... most Dave songs I'll try and learn it and end up being content just knowing the guitar part... It stanks
  • Options
    while you're here: what tuning was that last song you posted in? (fool for asking)... it's a great sound....

and i normalized and otherwise massaged the copy i have in order to hear it better if you want me to email it back to you or something.
  • Options
    brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    i wish i could sing and play

or play real well at that
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    With Dave Matthews, The Stone was always the kicker for me. I have respect for anyone who plays that right, much less sing it too. With the fullband, you cant really hear everything he's doing on the guitar.
  • Options
    Originally posted by parchy
    I can't either... most Dave songs I'll try and learn it and end up being content just knowing the guitar part... It stanks

I hear ya...I was happy as hell the day I finally got Minarets down. He's really a freak of nature on the fretboard, underrated rhythm guitarist. John Mayer does a couple of Dave covers, they sound pretty good.
    hate was just a legend
  • Options
    agreed. dave matthews is a very underrated guitarist. thats why i like alot of live solo stuff by him, without his band. he's great as a solo artist.
    knowledge is a tree
    it's growing up just like me.
  • Options
    while you're here: what tuning was that last song you posted in? (fool for asking)... it's a great sound....

and i normalized and otherwise massaged the copy i have in order to hear it better if you want me to email it back to you or something.

It's just in normal tuning if I remember correctly... it was recorded awhile ago, but I'm pretty sure it was just EADGBe....

Yeah, and thanks a lot for polishing up that song... I really do appreciate it a lot... it sounds a lot better... how did you do it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by parchy

Yeah, and thanks a lot for polishing up that song... I really do appreciate it a lot... it sounds a lot better... how did you do it?

no problem. i have sound forge on my computer. it's what i use to master all my recordings.

so you've saved it? if so i'll pull it off my web to save space.
  • Options
    gotz idgotz id Posts: 125
    Blackbird.
    I wish I was the 10Club holiday single, the one that never showed up...

• Options
    no problem. i have sound forge on my computer. it's what i use to master all my recordings.

so you've saved it? if so i'll pull it off my web to save space.

It's all saved... delete away
  • Options
    I'm not a big John Mayer fan, but Neon is one of those tough guitar/vocal songs... reminds me a lot of Dave's style
  • Options
    Rear view mirror. To play that song at speed seems pretty tough and then the singing is at the opposite end of the spectrum of speed.

It seems like the kind of song that would require alot of practice.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Options
    nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    I do even flow....and thats a little bit of a challenge
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • Options
    I can't even begin to even sing along when we do Grievance. and what's with all the love for Dave over here? you go to the porch with those comments and you'd be crucified. I guess we just appreciate good musicianship. I think the guy shreds...in an acoustically, rythmically way. peace
    oh and anything by phish is kinda tuff

http://www.evenflowrocks.com
    www.myspace.com/evenflowrocks

heathen frog psycho number ONE!
  • Options
    Originally posted by evenflowrocks
    I can't even begin to even sing along when we do Grievance. and what's with all the love for Dave over here? you go to the porch with those comments and you'd be crucified. I guess we just appreciate good musicianship. I think the guy shreds...in an acoustically, rythmically way. peace
    oh and anything by phish is kinda tuff

http://www.evenflowrocks.com

Anybody who has ever attempted to play/sing a DMB song has to respect Dave's skill... of course you don't have to like the music, but you absolutely have to respect what you can or cannot play... my guess is that most people who don't play guitar couldn't understand that... so we get the arbitrary "Dave sucks, now go away" response....
  • Options
    stefanwastefanwa Posts: 43
    EDIT: Sorry, posted in wrong thread.
  • Options
    Dave sucks go away!!!!

jk
    I love a few of his singles. beatiful songs. I hate his big band and think he should stay solo.
    Grievance was a good answer. That song is awesome but has a really messed up tune/rythm in the verses. The chrous seems like it would be easy as hell though.
    BIG GUY BIG EYE....
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Options
    Dave is a brilliant man. I think its The Song That Jane Likes that just makes me....sweat thinking about it :).
    ...but don't quote me on that...
  • Options
    I think about half of anything Jeff Buckley is hard enough to play. and to be able to sing it is just ridiculously impossible.
    I am the Lizard King I can do anything
  • Options
    Originally posted by HetfieldVedder0
    Dave is a brilliant man. I think its The Song That Jane Likes that just makes me....sweat thinking about it :).

Great song!! One of the first in the DMB catalog. They've been playing it pretty regularly on this tour....cool chord progression, fun to play.
    hate was just a legend
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,258
    i'm a new guitar player, still learning the ropes. while i'd love to play some dave songs, i stay away from them. the parts themselves don't seem that hard but as many of you have said, the rhythm and singing is really tough to pick up...pretty much impossible for me at this stage.
    but yeah, dave is tremendously talented and it is kinda funny how nobody has posted a "dave sucks". i guess we can see talent over those from "the porch" :)
  • Options
    goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    Dave Matthews isn't too hard to sing & play lotsa choppy picking & slapping. However if you want a challenge try playing & singing anything by Ani Difranco. That girl is amazing. She uses some interesting timings in her playing.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• Options
    neenerbeanneenerbean Posts: 205
    I love Dave Matthews. Especially solo/acoustic or with Tim Reynolds. Can't wait to see DMB on 8/7 with luvistower :D
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    Originally posted by goto_l
    Dave Matthews isn't too hard to sing & play lotsa choppy picking & slapping. However if you want a challenge try playing & singing anything by Ani Difranco. That girl is amazing. She uses some interesting timings in her playing.

oh yeah, christ, i saw her live...i wouldnt even want to try, she has a complete style all her own. It's acousta-punk.
  • Options
    oh yea. I actually used to be in a band with my wife and we used to do Gravel. actually an easier one to play but still way fun. the key is taping five banjo picks to your fingers w/duct tape and then just wearing a hole in your guitar. i think that's how to do it
    www.myspace.com/evenflowrocks

heathen frog psycho number ONE!