Options

Green Day, "Saviors" (Out 1/19/24)

BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,297
Apparently, the title track from Green Day's forthcoming album Saviors features the lyric, "We are the last of the rockers making a commotion." In a feature on the band for the Los Angeles Times, Mikael Wood notes this and gives a shout-out to Pearl Jam:

“We are the last of the rockers making a commotion,” Armstrong sings in the slashing title track, and while that’s not quite true — U2 and Pearl Jam, among others, would like a word — “Saviors” does showcase one of the relatively few Gen X rock acts still capable of filling football stadiums, as Armstong, bassist Mike Dirnt and drummer Tré Cool, all three aged 51, will do this year. (Three summers ago, Green Day mounted a stadium run called the Hella Mega Tour with Fall Out Boy and Weezer.)

The full article is here (may be paywalled): https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2024-01-15/green-day-saviors-billie-joe-armstrong.
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736
    All three aged 51?  Kids!
    Speaking of kids, here are the boys playing at their high school.  Well done, fellows!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,167
    They were on Howard this morning…. Good Eddie Van Halen story
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 820
    There are three early 90s rock acts that can do stadiums if I'm not mistaken-PJ, Foos and Green Day. The Foos and Green Day were so ubiquitous a decade or so ago that every awards show would have one of them as their token rock act.

Tool would be big enough too but their light shows demand an indoor setting. Maybe Rage too but sadly Brad has let the disappointing news out of the bag.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    JibitiJibiti Posts: 264
    It’s weird to promote your new album to focus your live set on not one, but TWO of your most popular albums. 😕
    6.30.06 - Marcus Ampitheatre (Summerfest),
    9.03-04.11 PJ20!!!
    7.19.13 - Wrigley!!!
    10.19.14, 10.20.14 (Yield!!)
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,805
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,793
    Jibiti said:
    It’s weird to promote your new album to focus your live set on not one, but TWO of your most popular albums. 😕
    To sell tickets I guess. I loathe them and the pumpkins so it’s a nightmare tour for me personally.  
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,479
    JT167846 said:
    There are three early 90s rock acts that can do stadiums if I'm not mistaken-PJ, Foos and Green Day. The Foos and Green Day were so ubiquitous a decade or so ago that every awards show would have one of them as their token rock act.

Tool would be big enough too but their light shows demand an indoor setting. Maybe Rage too but sadly Brad has let the disappointing news out of the bag.

RHCP?
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 820
    Nice one DV. Yep defo.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Nice to see Fallon's finger seems to be attached and doing OK.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    JT167846 said:

The Chili Peppers played stadiums last year. They sold out two nights at SoFi in L.A.

I do not think Pearl Jam can fill stadiums anymore, with the exception of baseball stadiums in specific cities. I don't see Pearl Jam selling out  football stadiums like SoFi, Foxboro, Met Life or Lincoln Financial.
  • Options
    JT167846 said:

I wouldn't think PJ could sell out NFL stadiums. Baseball stadiums, perhaps. I'd think Metallica could sell out NFL stadiums. Though, it's probably a craps shoot for any 90s rock act - where in the country, is it a weekend, how long since last tour, etc.
  • Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 925
    Living in the 20s. Reminded me a bit of The Fixer

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,938
    Listened to the first half of the album on the way to work this morning.  Pretty good so far.  Will listen to the rest on my way home.  Much better than their previous album.  Looking forward to the upcoming tour.  American Idiot is one of my favorite albums of all time. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,961
    Fan since dookie and Fuckin love the new album.

Goodnight adeline,  dilemma, father to a son ,fancy sauce , the american dream is killing me are stand out to me at first listening

Gonna try to convince wife to go see them in Glasgow on jun 25th before PJ in london since they are not coming to portugal and the combo of full dookie and american idiot is mindblown!!!

• Options
    I bought the CD today. I haven't listened yet, but I am bemused by the following juxtaposition:

Earlier this week, I was listening to No Code, and I still have the receipt in there from when I bought it at midnight on release day at the Virgin Megastore in New York. The CD was $10.99 and the LP was $12.99. Today, over 27 years later, the Green Day CD was $10.99 but the LP (which I did not buy) was $27.99. (Go back to earlier in the '90s, and the typical price for new releases at my local record store was $7.99 LP/$11.99 CD.)
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I listened to a bit of it. Its definitely less pop rock, but I really fell off with these guys post American Idiot. That was their last truly great album. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,758
    $13 in 1996 is $25.13 today. Not too far off.
    Did you offer to buy the CD for $21 to be historically accurate?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    $13 in 1996 is $25.13 today. Not too far off.
    Did you offer to buy the CD for $21 to be historically accurate?

The point was about the price stability of the CD format. I understand inflation.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,758
    Oh, got it thanks!
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,894
    My 14 year old nephew and his friends are into Green Day. So I am taking him to see them in August. It will be his first concert so I am happy to share that experience with him. I told him Smashing Pumpkins were playing with them and he didn’t know who they were. I am looking forward to seeing Rancid as well. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,030
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    My 14 year old nephew and his friends are into Green Day. So I am taking him to see them in August. It will be his first concert so I am happy to share that experience with him. I told him Smashing Pumpkins were playing with them and he didn’t know who they were. I am looking forward to seeing Rancid as well. 

What a cool way to start his concert resume!  Good job and have a blast!

• Options
    Well hell, I'm giving this another listen and I'm starting to like it. LOL! I definitely hastily judged it. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,801
    I'm glad to see them working hard and hanging with their fans. I don't dig them but sure they don't care! Know a lot of super fans. Enjoy!
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939
    I listened to a bit of it. It’s definitely less pop rock, but I really fell off with these guys post American Idiot. That was their last truly great album. 
    Same here @2-feign-reluctance. American Idiot is a classic. But haven’t given them much listening time since. A playlist or best of is good listening though. Will check out this new release though. I’m hoping for an Aussie tour? It would sell a lot of tix. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    GlowGirl said:
    Last time I saw Green Day in the uk, Rancid were supporting. Rancid were incredible and IMO upstaged GD. Green Day were good but in terms of the music alone without all the stage show and antics, Rancid were just flawless. Tim Armstrong is so good to watch. Rancid's new album last year was absolutely stunning too.....best of the year for me
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    I'm glad to see them working hard and hanging with their fans. I don't dig them but sure they don't care! Know a lot of super fans. Enjoy!

I have to admit some bias as I live my first 11 months in Albany (born next door in a hospital in Berkeley) where the boys got their start.  So part of it for me is a "home boys make good" kind of a deal.  But I also like their spunk and the way they represent a kind of quintessential new generation of punk influenced west coast rock.  I don't really consider them punk though- more like post punk.  Billie Joe sitting in briefly with the Replacements in their short-lived reunion tour re-sparked my interest as well.

• Options
    Saviors was the top-selling album in the U.S. in its first week of release. Of course, that's not good enough to be No. 1 on the Billboard 200 because of the asinine way they count streaming. So, Green Day outsold 21 Savage by a ratio of 39-to-1 (39,000 units for Green Day; 1,000 for Savage), but Green Day ends up at No. 4 and 21 Savage ends up at No. 1.

Basically, if you buy an album, all that will ever count for on the chart is one sale, no matter how many times you listen to it. But if you stream a track from an album-- even if it's just the single and not the whole album-- that counts as a fraction of a sale every time you do it. It's a totally asinine system.
  • Options
    The ba-da-bing ba-da boom line is stuck in my brain! 
    www.cluthelee.com