Bass strings will TEAR YOUR ASS UP

parchyparchy Posts: 205
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Let me preface this by saying I took a break from bass guitar for about a month so I could just focus up on my fingerpicking technique on acoustic guitar... for any bassists looking to limber your fingers up, get an acoustic with HIGH action and just have at it with no pick. Not only will it help your fretting hand, but it'll add the miniscule layers of calous on your right fingertips that will allow you to thump the bass for hours. But I'm getting off-topic, so I must digress...

So I haven't played bass in about a month, and about an hour ago I decide to lace em up again... me and the Stingray5 are going to go it again for the first time in a long time... too long, may I add... so anyway, I pick it up, put in the headphone jack (took me forever to find that fucker!) and I start just playing whatever pops into my head... I eventually start rocking out to what sounds like a part Omar sings in The Mars Volta's new album, and I just start getting into it... what made it so much sweeter was that my headphones were pretty old, and they kicked in some kind of distortion through my POD that I could never get from any pedals or anything... I don't know where the fuck it came from (from the Gods!) but it aided in the rock process. So anyway, I've got the one foot up on the couch deal going, and I got hot so I quit for a second to turn on a fan... as I'm heading back to my bass, I rubbed my thumb over the tip of my index finger and not only was it a little numb, but it kinda hurt! What a sensation, man... I haven't felt anything in my fingertips in YEARS... I quit playing bass for a month and all of the sudden they're tender again... then I get on to type this and I can't even really feel the keys... I mean, I've had deep, deep calouses for maybe 6-7 years now, so this was like, a revelation to me... and I have DR Low riders on the bass right now... those things are pussy compared to some other stuff I have... I didn't dare try to tackle the low B, lest it smack me down for being stupid enough to test it.

Anyway, I thought that was kind of cool... it was like I was a newbie to the bass again... and for all you guitar playin' pansies, enjoy your .056 acoustic E-strings and your .00000000001 gauge electric E-strings... ya girlies! ;)
Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    So they made a new guitar effect called a blameshifter...

...when you turn it on it sounds like all the mistakes are coming from the bassist.