Options

Your favorite/ best definition of rock and roll.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
This, to me, is hard to top.  But let's see what you've got!
May be an image of text

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,847
    It's only rock and roll but I like it
  • Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Not a definition but ahh hell...

Leave me alone don't want your promises no more.
    Cause rock and roll is my religion and my lord.
    Won't ever change
    May think it's strange
    You can't kill rock and roll
    It's here to stayyyyyyyyyyyaayyyyay
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • Options

• Options
    edited December 2023
    GB281198 said:

"Devil's music" haha!  Partially inspired by "evil weed". :lol:
    Loujoe said:

AND... "Devil's music"... proof!  :lol: 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    AC/DC
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,255
    Keith Richards.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    hrd2imgn said:
    AC/DC
    Lighters and snakes
    Lighters give
    Snakes take

Rich man poor man!
    Beggermannn thief.

We all gotahomeinHELL
    That's myyyyy belief 
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,302
    To me, rock music was never meant to be safe. I think there needs to be an element of intrigue, mystery, subversiveness. Your parents should hate it.
    Trent Reznor.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Good 1^
  • Options
    So with that. My Mom still today asks about the horrible music that used to come out of my room. Pretty sure she is referring to suicidal tendencies. Not rock and roll. Yes offensive.
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    To me, rock music was never meant to be safe. I think there needs to be an element of intrigue, mystery, subversiveness. Your parents should hate it.
    Trent Reznor.

Pretty much right on the mark, lol. 
    I will say though, with much careful selection by the time my mother was well into her 70's, I managed to help coax my her toward being a Neil Young fan.  I gave her a few cassette tapes- Harvest and Harvest Moon which she liked, and she even sat down with me and watched and seemed to enjoy the Jonathan Demme film,  Neil Young & Crazy Horse: The Complex Sessions.  She was quite amused by the last number, "Piece of Crap"!

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,302
    I just opened Barrett Martin’s new book The Greatest Band That Ever Wasn’t and the very first sentence of the book is perfect for this discussion

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    I just opened Barrett Martin’s new book The Greatest Band That Ever Wasn’t and the very first sentence of the book is perfect for this discussion

Yeah, for sure!
    If I were asked, "What is the first rock and roll band you became a fan of," and were to use that definition on which to base my answer, I would have to say, "The Rolling Stones".  When I was a kid in the very early 60s, I was aware of The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, among other bands, but the first band that to me fit the description "defiance expressed through music" had to have been the Stones.  The others were fun, cute, snappy, etc., but the first time I saw The Rolling Stones on TV, that was the first time I ever felt the jolt of a defiant attitude in music... and liked it a lot!

• Options
    To me, rock has to have an edge to it. It has to be a little rough around the edges. It’s why I prefer the Stones to the Beatles. I like music that sounds as if it’s a bunch of creeps playing in a garage. The shit rock is way too polished.

It’s why most bands have a limited shelf life. You can only sound this way authentically for so long until you are a rich guy and life is good. Hard to be edgy when you live in a mansion, fly first class and stay at Four Seasons. 
  • Options
    To me, rock has to have an edge to it. It has to be a little rough around the edges. It’s why I prefer the Stones to the Beatles. I like music that sounds as if it’s a bunch of creeps playing in a garage. The shit rock is way too polished.

It’s why most bands have a limited shelf life. You can only sound this way authentically for so long until you are a rich guy and life is good. Hard to be edgy when you live in a mansion, fly first class and stay at Four Seasons. 

Well said!  I like a lot of differing styles, but I agree that down and dirty is the best rock and roll.

• Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,077
    The performance of My Generation on the Smothers Brothers show is my Definition of Rock and Roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiSKu7SbGNQ

• Options
    edited December 2023
    ceska said:
    The performance of My Generation on the Smothers Brothers show is my Definition of Rock and Roll:

Well done and excellent timing! :smile:
    R.I.P. Tommy. :sad:

• Options
    It's what the kids are singin'.
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,077
    edited December 2023
    brianlux said:
    ceska said:

Well done and excellent timing! :smile:
    R.I.P. Tommy. :sad:
    Thank you! When I saw the news that Tommy Smothers passed away I immediately thought of that bit on The Kids Are Alright. RIP indeed.
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,255

Reading this, Exile on Main Street came straight to mind. That's what a rock and roll album should sound like. As if it was recorded in a sleazy blues bar.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."