I got my first real six string

MyHandsBoundMyHandsBound Posts: 698
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
brought it at the five n dime (guitar center)
played it till my fingers bled (my fingers are sore)
was the summer of 69 (:))...........................

yup I got a fender acoustic today...it is the start up pack with all the accessories....I'm working on the catapillar, my fingers are a little sore:)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I HAVE THE SAME PACK!!!! I love that guitar too, I think it sounds lovely..(I didn't actually just say that...I meant to say 'It sounds great')
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • I HAVE THE SAME PACK!!!! I love that guitar too, I think it sounds lovely..(I didn't actually just say that...I meant to say 'It sounds great')

can you play...me I'm learning.....:)
  • AnjjAnjj Posts: 4

yup I got a fender acoustic today...it is the start up pack with all the accessories....I'm working on the catapillar, my fingers are a little sore:)

Wow, Is it hard to play? I always wondered? Whats the catapiller?
  • imspinninimspinnin Posts: 933

Congrats...:D
    First time I layed hands on a six string, I played without a pick, and had NO fingernails left:eek:
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
  • stick with it is all I can say. Sore fingers or not. The calases you build up are your friends. DO NOT BITE THEM OFF, youll be playing I am mine before you know it. sbb
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • brought it at the five n dime (guitar center)

Please no Bryan Adams in the pit. It's cutting me like a knife, but it doesn't feel so right.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Anjj wrote:
    Wow, Is it hard to play? I always wondered? Whats the catapiller?

its like a warm up exercise, it teaches you how to move your fingers properly along the neck of the guitar
  • Sore fingers or not. The calases you build up are your friends.

ewww...I hope they don't get too thick..... do band aides or tape work....
  • Please no Bryan Adams in the pit. It's cutting me like a knife, but it doesn't feel so right.

but it was so appropriate:) I liked Brian Adams' music...
  • JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    stick with it is all I can say. Sore fingers or not. The calases you build up are your friends. DO NOT BITE THEM OFF, youll be playing I am mine before you know it. sbb

I am mine is a very good song for beginners.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • ewww...I hope they don't get too thick..... do band aides or tape work....

Trust me you want the calasses. Every guitar player has them. its the same thing with mechanics, they have really tough hands because they fix cars all day. If you dont allow them to form, youll be done playing after 2 songs...sbb...

Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Seattle- Gorge 2005

- Given To Fly
  • bacchanalbacchanal Posts: 149

ME AND SOME GUYS FROM SCHOOL.....
    had a band and we tried real hard....
    timmy quit...jonie got married.....
    should HAVE KNOWN WE'D NEVER GET FAR.......
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I think the caterpillar is also known as the '1-2-3-4' excersise.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I think the caterpillar is also known as the '1-2-3-4' excersise.

Also otherwise known as the chromatic scale, which I repeatedly reccomend to the point of being a boring windbag as THE best exercise for learning to drive fingers and co-ordinate left and right hands.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I don't think its completly chromatic, unless of course you move down a fret every string, other then the B.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • from the looks of it, I'll be trying to figure it out for a long while..cause sometimes when I move one finger another moves and it is not always the same one...and doing it feels ackward......

I certainly haven't quite got the hang of it yet.....but its only been a day:) give it a week or two and I'll be slithering all up and gown the neck:D
  • I don't think its completly chromatic, unless of course you move down a fret every string, other then the B.

what do you mean by chromatic???
    I don't think its completly chromatic, unless of course you move down a fret every string, other then the B.

WEll, yeah, you are probably right, but then there are so many variations of the exercise, including moving a fret each time, skipping a string, then going back to the one you missed, changing position of your outside fingree, tehn the inside ones etc etc etc. I wass just kinda trying to give teh general gist.
    what do you mean by chromatic???

Chromatic means every semitone, ie every fret, or every key on teh piano, including all teh sharps.
    When playing a scale or solo etc, a chromatic note is one that strictly does not belong in the scale you are playing, but works anyway. They are also referred to as passing notes, cos they are often played over quickly on the way to a "correct" note, but sometimes are destinations in themselves to produce a particular feel. Chromatic means "coloured", and these notes add colour to your solos. It's one reason why jamming a scale doesn't always produce as good a result as copying a great player note for note.
    BTW, that problem you are having with the wrong finger moving, it happens to us all,esp in complex chord positions, and it is EXACTLY the reason why the caterpillar is such a great starting exercise. Most people think it is too basic to be useful , but you are putting yourself way ahead of the game by persevering with it.
  • Chromatic means every semitone, ie every fret, or every key on teh piano, including all teh sharps.
    When playing a scale or solo etc, a chromatic note is one that strictly does not belong in the scale you are playing, but works anyway. They are also referred to as passing notes, cos they are often played over quickly on the way to a "correct" note, but sometimes are destinations in themselves to produce a particular feel. Chromatic means "coloured", and these notes add colour to your solos. It's one reason why jamming a scale doesn't always produce as good a result as copying a great player note for note.

that's way to advanced for me...I've never played an instrument. nor can I read music.....Yet....
    that's way to advanced for me...I've never played an instrument. nor can I read music.....Yet....

Don't sweat it. Just keeping caterpillering, it will make sense in time.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Trust me you want the calasses. Every guitar player has them. its the same thing with mechanics, they have really tough hands because they fix cars all day. If you dont allow them to form, youll be done playing after 2 songs...sbb...

Yep. My fingertips hurt like hell for a while then they just get used to it.

I went through a stretch were I didn't play my guitar for a while and I was amazed how quickly my calluses went away. Not gonna let that happen again! :)
  • mca47 wrote:
    Yep. My fingertips hurt like hell for a while then they just get used to it.

I went through a stretch were I didn't play my guitar for a while and I was amazed how quickly my calluses went away. Not gonna let that happen again! :)

keep on pluggin....the key is to play an hour a day.....if you play an hour a day, youll be all good....sbb...by the way, scottsdale is a fun place...

Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Seattle- Gorge 2005

- Given To Fly
    keep on pluggin....the key is to play an hour a day.....if you play an hour a day, youll be all good....sbb...by the way, scottsdale is a fun place...

Yeah, it sure is.
    Next time your in town let me know. We can jam.
  • mca47 wrote:
    Yeah, it sure is.
    Next time your in town let me know. We can jam.

can I jam with you guys....
    can I jam with you guys....

Absolutely!
    Just head out to Scottsdale and we're good to go! :D