my progress

MyHandsBoundMyHandsBound Posts: 698
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
as most of you know I decided to learn how to play the guitar....I'm about 80% proficient with the catapillar (or the 1234) and now I'm learning the notes, specifically A and C major, my question is how do you know which string to strum from, is there any rule to follow:)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    You're gonna have to strum chords from both ends. Run the 1234 every day, because you'll get better and better at it, I still do it, 5 years in.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • You're gonna have to strum chords from both ends. Run the 1234 every day, because you'll get better and better at it, I still do it, 5 years in.

what do you mean by 'from both ends' :)
    Like, up and down.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Like, up and down.

no that's not what I mean... which string would I have to hit first to get the most desired sound the a or c major would make....is there a method to it:)
    Oh ok, well like I said, C maj. You would probably start on the A string and just go down. Same with A maj. But like I said, you'll have to do the same thing backwards.
  • Oh ok, well like I said, C maj. You would probably start on the A string and just go down. Same with A maj. But like I said, you'll have to do the same thing backwards.

so must we always always start on the A string or could I hit the B string if I wanted to.....:)
    It could be, but I usually throw the High E in so I wouldn't do that.
  • It could be, but I usually throw the High E in so I wouldn't do that.

oh okay....

I have another question but I'll practice a little more first before I ask....:)
  • well since you're here:)

you said you would throw in the high e....so if you strummed the b and high e down would you HAVE to strum them up as well

or should I say are you stumming everything twice ???:)
    well since you're here:)

you said you would throw in the high e....so if you strummed the b and high e down would you HAVE to strum them up as well

or should I say are you stumming everything twice ???:)

Or you start from the E and go to the A!
  • Or you start from the E and go to the A!

go down on the e and up on the a
    Go up from the E to the A.
  • Go up from the E to the A.

to get this clear are you saying you strum the e up and strum the a up and not strum the e up and the a down
    Strum up from the high E to the A.
  • Strum up from the high E to the A.

oh I get it....thanks....:)
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    You start your strum on the root note of the chord, often the last fretted string, but not always.
    Music is not a competetion.