Options

Richard Barone presents MUSIC + REVOLUTION, (It Could Always Happen Again)

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
edited November 2023 in A Moving Train
I really, really love what Richard Barone has been up to these days (and I'm a big and long time fan).  I'm posting this in AMT rather than Other Music because a) in this situation, the music is about movement, and b) because this kind of movement to make music relevant in a time of dire situations is so over-due, and c) (a rather selfish reason), because I have been desperate for something brimming with hope rather than hearing and reading the endless litany of despair that defines so much of our time.

Please check out the link.  I think many here will find this worth the few minutes to read:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by brianlux on

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    brianlux said:
    I really, really love what Richard Barone has been up to these days (and I'm a big and long time fan).  I'm posting this in AMT rather than Other Music because a) in this situation, the music is about movement, and b) because this kind of movement to make music relevant in a time of dire situations is so over-due, and c) (a rather selfish reason), because I have been desperate for something brimming with hope rather than hearing and reading the endless litany of despair that defines so much of our time.

Please check out the link.  I think many here will find this worth the few minutes to read:

The way I perceive this whole thing is why today’s artist can’t mobilize like artist from the past! You’d think that after all that’s happened/happening in this world artist would come together get a peace festival together, something to let the world know enough is enough! Geldof was the last one I can recall that got Live Aid going
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    brianlux said:

The way I perceive this whole thing is why today’s artist can’t mobilize like artist from the past! You’d think that after all that’s happened/happening in this world artist would come together get a peace festival together, something to let the world know enough is enough! Geldof was the last one I can recall that got Live Aid going

Good point!

I was just talking with my wife about this.  We both agree that it's not the job of a musician or band to be an activist or make all their music be about current events, but in times past (the Vietnam war era being a prime example), songs of a topical nature were integral in the music of the time, and events like the festivals you mentioned were strongly supported.

Which all begs the question- In these trying and disturbing times, why is this not happening today?  Maybe an effort like what Richard Barone put together will provide a much needed spark.  I know it sounds like a cliche, but music really can change the world. 

As a side note, I love how the Music + Revolution event embraced a wide variety of musicians- old guard folkies like Tom Paxton and Carolyn Hester,  pop mainstays Jose Feliciano and like Terre Roche, pre-punk heavyweights like David Johansen and Patti Smith cohort Lenny Kaye... so cool!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Good point!

I was just talking with my wife about this.  We both agree that it's not the job of a musician or band to be an activist or make all their music be about current events, but in times past (the Vietnam war era being a prime example), songs of a topical nature were integral in the music of the time, and events like the festivals you mentioned were strongly supported.

Which all begs the question- In these trying and disturbing times, why is this not happening today?  Maybe an effort like what Richard Barone put together will provide a much needed spark.  I know it sounds like a cliche, but music really can change the world. 

As a side note, I love how the Music + Revolution event embraced a wide variety of musicians- old guard folkies like Tom Paxton and Carolyn Hester,  pop mainstays Jose Feliciano and like Terre Roche, pre-punk heavyweights like David Johansen and Patti Smith cohort Lenny Kaye... so cool!

It’s just disheartening that no one wants to step up to the plate! Even on the get out to vote message TSwift stepped up good on her maybe next year more artists will do the same! I read somewhere how the black voters didn’t vote last election like they did for Obama and it dawned on me how all these high priced athletes just don’t give two 💩💩 about spreading the get out to vote amongst their communities! I’ve never heard Lebron James or Michael Jordan or for that matter any other high profile athletes spread thaw message, but you can bet they will promote those $ 200 sneakers that most kids in these communities can’t afford! It’s disgusting I don’t put any athletes or artists on pedestals I’ve given up watching today’s athletes!
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Good point!

It’s just disheartening that no one wants to step up to the plate! Even on the get out to vote message TSwift stepped up good on her maybe next year more artists will do the same! I read somewhere how the black voters didn’t vote last election like they did for Obama and it dawned on me how all these high priced athletes just don’t give two 💩💩 about spreading the get out to vote amongst their communities! I’ve never heard Lebron James or Michael Jordan or for that matter any other high profile athletes spread thaw message, but you can bet they will promote those $ 200 sneakers that most kids in these communities can’t afford! It’s disgusting I don’t put any athletes or artists on pedestals I’ve given up watching today’s athletes!
    us-usa-politics-voting-rights-idUSKCN2AX2LL

"Look what we made happen," the Los Angeles Lakers star says in the ad, as images flash of demonstrations protesting the police killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor last year. "What our voices made possible.

"And now look what they're trying to do to silence us. Using every trick in the book."

The non-partisan group is among several pushing back against efforts by majority-Republican legislatures across the country to restrict voting access after former President Donald Trump’s false claims of voter fraud in the November election.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/30/us/michael-jordan-voter-suppression-trnd/index.html

CNN — 

Michael Jordan and the Jordan Brand are donating $2.5 million toward fighting Black voter suppression.

One million dollars is being donated to the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund Inc. and $1 million to the Formerly Incarcerated and Convicted People and Families Movement. The Black Voters Matter organization will receive $500,000, according to a statement by the Jordan Brand.

The commitment is part of a $100 million, 10-year pledge that Jordan and the Jordan Brand announced on June 5 to “impact the fight against systemic racism.” The pledge focuses on three areas: social justice, economic justice, and education and awareness.

Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Good point!

"Look what we made happen," the Los Angeles Lakers star says in the ad, as images flash of demonstrations protesting the police killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor last year. "What our voices made possible.

"And now look what they're trying to do to silence us. Using every trick in the book."

The non-partisan group is among several pushing back against efforts by majority-Republican legislatures across the country to restrict voting access after former President Donald Trump’s false claims of voter fraud in the November election.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/30/us/michael-jordan-voter-suppression-trnd/index.html

CNN — 

Michael Jordan and the Jordan Brand are donating $2.5 million toward fighting Black voter suppression.

One million dollars is being donated to the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund Inc. and $1 million to the Formerly Incarcerated and Convicted People and Families Movement. The Black Voters Matter organization will receive $500,000, according to a statement by the Jordan Brand.

The commitment is part of a $100 million, 10-year pledge that Jordan and the Jordan Brand announced on June 5 to “impact the fight against systemic racism.” The pledge focuses on three areas: social justice, economic justice, and education and awareness.

Behind the scenes ok when was the last time you heard any prolific athlete implore their fans to get out to vote publicly like TSwift did, black voters stayed home in 16 they wouldn’t vote for the white chick! 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    Admittedly, this is the first I've  heard of Richard Barone.  josevolution said:
    brianlux said:

I don't know a lot about the music business and the promotion thereof. But I do hear/read from time to time suggestions that the shrinking number of people owning radio stations leads to a blander, narrower array of music getting play (intuitively, that doesn't make a ton of sense to me but what do I know?). Also, with less reliance on the radio, people can go to what they already know and like. Finally, while I am sure a lot of people hated outspoken musicians of the 1960s and 1970s, the ability for that hate to be screamed out worldwide 24/7 worldwide wasn't there. Going out on a limb and putting up with all that has to be far more exhausting today that it was back then.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Good point!

CNN — 

Behind the scenes ok when was the last time you heard any prolific athlete implore their fans to get out to vote publicly like TSwift did, black voters stayed home in 16 they wouldn’t vote for the white chick! 

Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Good point!

CNN — 

What is that? Sorry I’m not getting it 
  • Options
    Again show me when a prolific athlete has implored his fans to get out and vote! I worked for 28 + years amongst black Americans and every time I’ve asked did you go out and vote? Their answer has always been why should I vote my vote doesn’t mean a thing! They have been programmed to believe this for generations 
  • Options
    LBCeddieLBCeddie Posts: 103
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Good point!

CNN — 

It means you are "moving the goal".  

And could you be more racist?  
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    Admittedly, this is the first I've  heard of Richard Barone.  josevolution said:
    brianlux said:

I don't know a lot about the music business and the promotion thereof. But I do hear/read from time to time suggestions that the shrinking number of people owning radio stations leads to a blander, narrower array of music getting play (intuitively, that doesn't make a ton of sense to me but what do I know?). Also, with less reliance on the radio, people can go to what they already know and like. Finally, while I am sure a lot of people hated outspoken musicians of the 1960s and 1970s, the ability for that hate to be screamed out worldwide 24/7 worldwide wasn't there. Going out on a limb and putting up with all that has to be far more exhausting today that it was back then.

Good point about radio stations being corralled.  The corporate takeover of radio has been tightening for decades now.  Independents have a tough go of it.

I honestly don't remember a lot of hate expressed for the music of the sixties and seventies in terms of content as much as things like died-in-the-wool folkies resisting Dylan going electric, and G.I. generations people disliking rock in general (just like people like me don't like rap and hip hop, only the difference is that I admit I don't care to listen to it, but I do regularly profess respect for that music).  I even remember Bob Dylan's and Pete Seeger's folk style music occasionally being played in churches. 

I would also suggest that protest music can often succeed best when not performed with rancor or aggression.  You don't a lot of aggression in much of folk protest music (the clips in the article I posted illustrate that).  Songs like Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth" presented a powerful message couched in a very mellow, non-combative tune.  Same with early Dylan, etc.  There is room, of course, for more aggressive protest music (CSNY "Ohio", various songs by Rage Against the Machine, and a lot of punk and hip hop. etc). 

So what it boils down to- and josevolution made a good argument for this above- is hoping musicians who truly give a shit to have the balls and ovaries to stand up and say something.  It's time for that to happen. Way past time, really. 

Yeah Pearl Jam, I'm talking to you guys too.  Please!

• Options
    LBCeddie said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Good point!

CNN — 

This is the staff I worked with for 29 years if you think I’m racist your are delusional this is my extended family I love them! So I’m going to be nice and not tell you to go and bark at another tree 
  • Options
    LBCeddie said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Good point!

CNN — 

This is the staff I worked with for 29 years if you think I’m racist your are delusional this is my extended family I love them! So I’m going to be nice and not tell you to go and bark at another tree 

The dude obviously knows nothing about you, bud, pay him no heed!  We know you're good!

• Options
    edited November 2023
    LBCeddie said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Good point!

CNN — 

Sorry, but who you work with has nothing to do with whether or not you're racist.  That's a pretty weak defense.  Some words of wisdom-  It is "black voters"  not "The black voters".  I wont pick the rest apart.  
  • Options
    Sigh... always gotta be one in the crowd.

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,450
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Good point!

here's a PSA  Narrated by LeBron James: https://youtu.be/zUW4-WiHUB4?si=P39MIHvN6zIqVlZm

Click for the whole article
    https://www.si.com/nba/lakers/news/lebron-james-launches-website-for-more-than-a-vote-to-help-end-black-voter-suppression

LeBron James Launches Website For More Than A Vote To Help End Black Voter Suppression

James launched his website Tuesday for More Than A Vote, an organization he helped found to stop black voter suppression.

So in addition to denouncing racial injustice on his massive platform of a combined 112 million followers on Twitter and Instagram, James helped found a nonprofit group named More Than A Vote to fight black voter suppression and excite minority voters across the nation.

"To my brothers and sisters in sports and arts," James tweeted Wednesday. "We have incredible influence in our community. We need to use this moment to demand change. I gotta be honest…I struggle with what to demand because so damn much needs to change. But I’m starting with our right to vote."

• Options
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Good point!

here's a PSA  Narrated by LeBron James: https://youtu.be/zUW4-WiHUB4?si=P39MIHvN6zIqVlZm

https://www.si.com/nba/lakers/news/lebron-james-launches-website-for-more-than-a-vote-to-help-end-black-voter-suppression

LeBron James Launches Website For More Than A Vote To Help End Black Voter Suppression

James launched his website Tuesday for More Than A Vote, an organization he helped found to stop black voter suppression.

So in addition to denouncing racial injustice on his massive platform of a combined 112 million followers on Twitter and Instagram, James helped found a nonprofit group named More Than A Vote to fight black voter suppression and excite minority voters across the nation.

"To my brothers and sisters in sports and arts," James tweeted Wednesday. "We have incredible influence in our community. We need to use this moment to demand change. I gotta be honest…I struggle with what to demand because so damn much needs to change. But I’m starting with our right to vote."

The subject you are presenting is important and worthy of attention, but not here.  It has nothing to do with this thread.  Please start your own thread.  Thanks.

• Options
    Good luck with those lawsuits. You’re gonna need it. I look forward to having to go incognito in my Elvis shades.

Opinion  Step by step, conservative judges are gutting the Voting Rights Act

A right without a remedy is worse than useless — it is a cruel mirage. And that is what conservatives want to do to the Voting Rights Act: Turn it into an illusion.

A new decision by a federal appeals court could accomplish that mission — and poses a stark test for the conservative-dominated Supreme Court. Will it be activist in pursuit of its ideology, or will it respect decades of practice and precedent?

The Voting Rights Act was enacted in 1965, and throughout the subsequent decades, the universal assumption has been that private parties — voters who claim their rights were infringed, or interest groups representing them — could go to court to invoke the law’s protections. Lawmakers, litigants and judges have taken it as a given that Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act allows for lawsuits by private parties alongside enforcement by the Justice Department.

But then, in 2021, the Supreme Court’s conservative majority radically rewrote Section 2, inventing new limits that made it harder to win cases brought under that provision, which prohibits any “standard, practice, or procedure” that makes it disproportionately harder for minority citizens to vote. That wasn’t enough for Justice Neil M. Gorsuch, who seized the opportunity to offer a concurring opinion that all but invited states and other defendants in Voting Rights Act cases to challenge the validity of private suits.

The concurrence, joined by Justice Clarence Thomas, was a dishonest piece of work crammed into a single paragraph. Backing its claim that “lower courts have treated this as an open question,” it cited a single appeals court case that merely mentioned the issue in passing. That ruling was from 1981, the yearbefore Congress rewrote the law to strengthen Section 2, and in doing so made clear that the section was meant to allow private lawsuits. “It is intended that citizens have a private cause of action to enforce their rights under Section 2,” the House report on the law stated.

​The concurrence had its intended effect. The following February, a Trump-appointed district court judge in Arkansas, Lee Rudofsky, brought up the question of the right of private parties to sue in a state case in which the plaintiffs hadn’t even raised the issue. That didn’t stop Rudofsky from asserting that he was compelled to toss the suit.

Last week, a divided panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit agreed. The “text and structure” of Section 2 showed that Congress did not give private plaintiffs the right to sue, said Judge David Stras, another Trump appointee, joined by George W. Bush nominee Raymond Gruender. “For much of the last half-century, courts have assumed that [Section 2] is privately enforceable. A deeper look has revealed that this assumption rests on flimsy footing,” Stras wrote.

Case closed. Lawsuit dismissed. Rights deleted.

The dissenting opinion, by George W. Bush appointee Lavenski Smith, explains what a dramatic departure this is — and what a breathtaking act of judicial chutzpah. The Supreme Court hasn’t directly addressed the question, Smith noted, but it has repeatedly considered Section 2 cases involving private parties, including a ruling earlier this year in an Alabama redistricting case. The Supreme Court has held that other sections of the Voting Rights Act allow private lawsuits; in a 1996 case, it said a private right under Section 2 “has been clearly intended by Congress” since the Voting Rights Act was passed.

“Until the Court rules or Congress amends the statute, I would follow existing precedent that permits citizens to seek a judicial remedy,” Smith wrote in his dissent. “Rights so foundational to self-government and citizenship should not depend solely on the discretion or availability of the government’s agents for protection.”

Indeed. Voting cases are complex and time-intensive. There’s only so much the Justice Department can do — even in administrations that are inclined to enforce the law. Smith noted that of at least 182 successful Section 2 cases in the past 40 years, only 15 were brought solely by the attorney general.

So, ending suits by private parties would drastically undermine the law’s effectiveness at a time when other provisions have already been neutered.

Which is, of course, precisely the point. A friend-of-the-court brief filed by the Honest Elections Project, a creation of Federalist Society field marshal Leonard Leo, argues that such a restriction “furthers important public policy interests” because the law has been increasingly “misused by private plaintiffs” and — get this — “correlates to a precipitous drop” in public trust in election results. 

Talk about blaming the victim.

The appeals court is correct that Section 2 doesn’t explicitly contain a private right to sue. In recent years, the court has been reluctant to discern such authority unless it is clearly set out, and it has increasingly shied away from relying on legislative history. If the courts were dealing with a newly minted statute, that would be one thing.

But nearly six decades on, with a settled interpretation of the Voting Rights act that has permitted private lawsuits, changing the rules is a different matter entirely. How was the Congress that passed — and revised — the Voting Rights Act supposed to have read the minds of a future court?

Law works only in a system of predictable rules. The alternative is instability and chaos. Under this court, constitutional rights exist, until — about half a century on — they don’t. A law carries with it the right to sue, until, perhaps, it doesn’t. And spare me, please, the lectures about the primacy of text. A court that literally wrote new restrictions into Section 2 has no standing on that subject.

The justices are going to have to decide this question. It is of surpassing importance, and conflicts with a decision earlier this month by the ultraconservative 5th Circuit, which managed to get this one right. How the issue is resolved will not only shape the future of voting rights. It will reveal much about this conservative majority’s appetite for wreaking legal havoc under the convenient guise of textualism.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/11/28/voting-rights-act-private-lawsuits/

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Good luck with those lawsuits. You’re gonna need it. I look forward to having to go incognito in my Elvis shades.

Opinion 

Step by step, conservative judges are gutting the Voting Rights Act

A right without a remedy is worse than useless — it is a cruel mirage. And that is what conservatives want to do to the Voting Rights Act: Turn it into an illusion.

A new decision by a federal appeals court could accomplish that mission — and poses a stark test for the conservative-dominated Supreme Court. Will it be activist in pursuit of its ideology, or will it respect decades of practice and precedent?

The Voting Rights Act was enacted in 1965, and throughout the subsequent decades, the universal assumption has been that private parties — voters who claim their rights were infringed, or interest groups representing them — could go to court to invoke the law’s protections. Lawmakers, litigants and judges have taken it as a given that Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act allows for lawsuits by private parties alongside enforcement by the Justice Department.

But then, in 2021, the Supreme Court’s conservative majority radically rewrote Section 2, inventing new limits that made it harder to win cases brought under that provision, which prohibits any “standard, practice, or procedure” that makes it disproportionately harder for minority citizens to vote. That wasn’t enough for Justice Neil M. Gorsuch, who seized the opportunity to offer a concurring opinion that all but invited states and other defendants in Voting Rights Act cases to challenge the validity of private suits.

The concurrence, joined by Justice Clarence Thomas, was a dishonest piece of work crammed into a single paragraph. Backing its claim that “lower courts have treated this as an open question,” it cited a single appeals court case that merely mentioned the issue in passing. That ruling was from 1981, the yearbefore Congress rewrote the law to strengthen Section 2, and in doing so made clear that the section was meant to allow private lawsuits. “It is intended that citizens have a private cause of action to enforce their rights under Section 2,” the House report on the law stated.

​The concurrence had its intended effect. The following February, a Trump-appointed district court judge in Arkansas, Lee Rudofsky, brought up the question of the right of private parties to sue in a state case in which the plaintiffs hadn’t even raised the issue. That didn’t stop Rudofsky from asserting that he was compelled to toss the suit.

Last week, a divided panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit agreed. The “text and structure” of Section 2 showed that Congress did not give private plaintiffs the right to sue, said Judge David Stras, another Trump appointee, joined by George W. Bush nominee Raymond Gruender. “For much of the last half-century, courts have assumed that [Section 2] is privately enforceable. A deeper look has revealed that this assumption rests on flimsy footing,” Stras wrote.

Case closed. Lawsuit dismissed. Rights deleted.

The dissenting opinion, by George W. Bush appointee Lavenski Smith, explains what a dramatic departure this is — and what a breathtaking act of judicial chutzpah. The Supreme Court hasn’t directly addressed the question, Smith noted, but it has repeatedly considered Section 2 cases involving private parties, including a ruling earlier this year in an Alabama redistricting case. The Supreme Court has held that other sections of the Voting Rights Act allow private lawsuits; in a 1996 case, it said a private right under Section 2 “has been clearly intended by Congress” since the Voting Rights Act was passed.

“Until the Court rules or Congress amends the statute, I would follow existing precedent that permits citizens to seek a judicial remedy,” Smith wrote in his dissent. “Rights so foundational to self-government and citizenship should not depend solely on the discretion or availability of the government’s agents for protection.”

Indeed. Voting cases are complex and time-intensive. There’s only so much the Justice Department can do — even in administrations that are inclined to enforce the law. Smith noted that of at least 182 successful Section 2 cases in the past 40 years, only 15 were brought solely by the attorney general.

So, ending suits by private parties would drastically undermine the law’s effectiveness at a time when other provisions have already been neutered.

Which is, of course, precisely the point. A friend-of-the-court brief filed by the Honest Elections Project, a creation of Federalist Society field marshal Leonard Leo, argues that such a restriction “furthers important public policy interests” because the law has been increasingly “misused by private plaintiffs” and — get this — “correlates to a precipitous drop” in public trust in election results. 

Talk about blaming the victim.

The appeals court is correct that Section 2 doesn’t explicitly contain a private right to sue. In recent years, the court has been reluctant to discern such authority unless it is clearly set out, and it has increasingly shied away from relying on legislative history. If the courts were dealing with a newly minted statute, that would be one thing.

But nearly six decades on, with a settled interpretation of the Voting Rights act that has permitted private lawsuits, changing the rules is a different matter entirely. How was the Congress that passed — and revised — the Voting Rights Act supposed to have read the minds of a future court?

Law works only in a system of predictable rules. The alternative is instability and chaos. Under this court, constitutional rights exist, until — about half a century on — they don’t. A law carries with it the right to sue, until, perhaps, it doesn’t. And spare me, please, the lectures about the primacy of text. A court that literally wrote new restrictions into Section 2 has no standing on that subject.

The justices are going to have to decide this question. It is of surpassing importance, and conflicts with a decision earlier this month by the ultraconservative 5th Circuit, which managed to get this one right. How the issue is resolved will not only shape the future of voting rights. It will reveal much about this conservative majority’s appetite for wreaking legal havoc under the convenient guise of textualism.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/11/28/voting-rights-act-private-lawsuits/

Why are you posting this here? 

• Options
    OK, I changed the thread title.  Please don't change the subject.  You can always start another thread if you want to talk about another topic.

Back on topic here- I love David Johansen's rendition of "There But For Fortune" from the show.  Beautiful!

• Options
    Interesting that Joseevolution is allowed to be openly racists and none of you care at all.  Just wonder how his choice of words would have been scrutinized if someone else said them. It’s actually quite funny to me. Wouldn’t you want to inform your cyber friend that their choice of words is not acceptable? 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Sigh... always gotta be one in the crowd.
    While you are busy saving the world one minute at a time, do you refer to black folks as “The blacks”? Do you believe that is an appropriate choice of words?  If I, for example, made a comment about “the blacks” in your thread you wouldnt have changed the name, and asked people to ignore my comments.  And you wouldn’t be sighing at comments pointing out the poor choice of words.  You literally look right past racism and stereotyping right under your nose based off who is behaving that way. Bunch of phonies. 
  • Options
    Change the title to “Selective Outrage”
  • Options
    Next post to thread crap here gets reported.

• Options
    I don't know how I missed this, but I am STOKED to have just discovered Richard Barone published a book about the topic at hand!  Can't wait to read this!

• Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Good point!

CNN — 

You cited Lebron and MJ as not getting out the vote or being politically active, I posted two sources of both doing just that. Then you moved the goal posts as that was apparently not as good as Taylor swift registering voters. Moving the goal posts.  If you look into LeBron and MJ they have a very active presence politically.  Are they fire brands? No, but then again that's not their job, they do take a lot more time than most to help and probably have done more than me or anyone I know could imagine doing to help.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,450
    brianlux said:
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Good point!

The subject you are presenting is important and worthy of attention, but not here.  It has nothing to do with this thread.  Please start your own thread.  Thanks.

That wasn't the first Post that didn't have anything to do with this thread, so maybe you should've nip it in the Bud then? (I just responded with some facts from the Post above).
  • Options
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Good point!

That wasn't the first Post that didn't have anything to do with this thread, so maybe you should've nip it in the Bud then? (I just responded with some facts from the Post above).

There have been a number of posts that don't have anything to do with this thread.  They all need to be nipped, bud.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Good point!

There have been a number of posts that don't have anything to do with this thread.  They all need to be nipped, bud.
    I believe that people are still making this type of music and that this type of scene exists in small pockets, however, we are dinosaurs and the public at large has moved on. :(
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Good point!

I believe that people are still making this type of music and that this type of scene exists in small pockets, however, we are dinosaurs and the public at large has moved on. :(

Folk music exploded in the 50's through early 60's, but it has been around for centuries.  It will rise again, even as we dinosaurs fade away.