is it proper technique

MyHandsBoundMyHandsBound Posts: 698
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
when you can hear the fingers slide along the neck as you play....it there a way to prevent that, which would not slow down your playing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    That's from the fact that your strings are round wound, so you have little ridges the whole length of the string on your E, A, D and sometimes G strings. The sound you hear comes from your fingers' friction with the ridges producing a sound. You can minimize it by using coated strings (Elixirs are good examples) and/or string lubricants (a good example would be GHS fast fret) which you just rub over the strings before and after you play. Cleans the strings and also keeps them slick for easy sliding.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    No, it means your guitar is going to catch fire !! Again !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • No, it means your guitar is going to catch fire !! Again !!
    it's almost 5AM here and most anything sounds crazy as I am falling asleep...but this...this...all I can ask is...WTF?? hahaha
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • it's almost 5AM here and most anything sounds crazy as I am falling asleep...but this...this...all I can ask is...WTF?? hahaha

Hot guitar player! :cool:

Myhandsbound!! You're playing geetar? Cool,,,,,

That squeak has been around as long as there are guitars. Some is normal,,, and it makes a song sound real to me, but too much squeak is a bit irritating to me.
    There's a technique where you lift your fingers off the fretboard when you move your hand up. It's a subtle move, but it'll stop a lot of it.

Like Novawind says, clean your strings with a cloth after you play, too. When they get old, they get a little corroded, too. They squeak more when they're old like that.

I haven't seen you for way too long. I haven't seen you since the subway station in the Village where all the dudes were wearing hot pants!! :D Time for a meet up!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I have trouble giving serious answers to questions like that. ON the Metallica forum a guy asked......." what would happen if I wired a battery pack to my passive EMG's??"...............needless to say I answered, "the wiring will melt, a short will occur and your guitar will catch fire" , amongst other catastrophic things.
    Another guy thought the sun would explode. We were all a bit worried about that cos that would not be good, although in theory it started exploding a good while ago, just hasn't finished yet.

So I thought, oh no, string scratchin, that sounds bad, help, run Boo run , guitar burning time again, aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhh!!!
  • Myhandsbound practicing guitar:

http://www.myclassiclyrics.com/artist_biographies/jimi_hendrix_biography.jpg

Except that MHB is MUCH better looking than him! :)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

We could have a caption contest here.........

"Mama Mia, I thought napalm would stop the scratching"
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Whenever I hear the squeak I always think of Around the Bend.

da da da-da-da da *squeak* da *squeak* da *squeak* da *squeak* da....
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Myhandsbound practicing guitar:

yep I'm learning to be a guitarist:)I picked up a fender acoustic starter kit a few weeks back, I'm alright with the notes acdeg but I'm still working on it if course and I know I still have a long ways to go..I have two instructional dvd's and I'll prolly take lessons this summer:)