Options

LP inner sleeves

I like my inner sleeves sturdy and obviously printed. Not a fan of albums skimping out on the printed inner sleeves.
When I pressed an album, the inner sleeves which was in a heavy paper stock, seems to have caused hairlines/scratches on the discs. Which some complained about, and didn't look too good.

With some albums (e.g. Neil Young) you get a printed inner sleeve included but the disc comes in a separate white sleeve. Which is good for not splitting the seams when shipping obviously, and also to avoid the inner sleeve to scratch the discs. But it puts a dent in the experience of opening up the album for the first time, having an inner sleeve by itself and the disc instead in a separate plain sleeve... Then the printed innersleeve could just be an insert instead...

My Guns N Roses - Lies album is the only album I own that have the nifty solution of a printed inner sleeve with a plastic coating on the inside.

Great solution to keep the discs in great shape. But, the local pressing plant says they can't offer his solution but instead offered to put the disc in a separate transparent plastic sleeve inside the printer inner sleeve, which is one option... But adds to the cost...

Do you know of any other albums with this solution that my GnR Lies album has?

And what are your favorite kind of innersleeves?  Do you care if the album only comes in a plain white one? Have you find that inner sleeves scratches the discs/make them smudgy?
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,089
    Man, I know I have something that has that inner sleeve setup and it is great. I have not had an issue with heavy sleeves and scratching - I do prefer that to paper except in some circumstances where the fit gets too tight (maybe the culprit for the scratching?).
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,761
    edited November 2023
    I replace or add along with printed original inner, an ultimate inner sleeves from Sleeve City.  I've never seen better.  They describe them thus: "Our Diskeeper Ultimate Audiophile inner sleeve is the first anti-static "rice paper" sleeve to use paper laminate on both sides for the highest strength and longest life possible."
    Diskeeper 10 Ultimate Audiophile Inner Sleeve SAMPLE  Sleeve City

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,985
    edited November 2023
    I hate paper sleeves. They do scratch records. TBH I like having a crisp, no seem split printed inner AND the record in a separate sleeve when I get a new record. Ideally a poly lined sleeve. 

But I'm like Brian and replace all my records (or am in the process of) with the rice paper poly inners (Mofi inners are the standard, but pretty much all the knock off ones are the same, just half the price). 

Have never seen a polylined printed inner. Would be neat, but again, would like to keep my printed inners pristine.

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011

But I'm like Brian and replace all my records (or am in the process of) with the rice paper poly inners (Mofi inners are the standard, but pretty much all the knock off ones are the same, just half the price). 

Which one do you use? I'm looking for something cheaper than Mofi
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    brianlux said:
    I replace or add along with printed original inner, an ultimate inner sleeves from Sleeve City.  I've never seen better.  They describe them thus: "Our Diskeeper Ultimate Audiophile inner sleeve is the first anti-static "rice paper" sleeve to use paper laminate on both sides for the highest strength and longest life possible."

thanks for the recommendation! 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    brianlux said:

What do they cost roughly per sleeve?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    LukinFan said:

Which one do you use? I'm looking for something cheaper than Mofi

https://a.co/d/dcswyzs

Watch for a cyber Monday deal. Just got this for $55 on prime day. 

• Options
    But experience wise... wouldn't getting the disc inside the printed sleeve but in a separate thin plastic sleeve be kind of a nifty solution?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,761
    LukinFan said:
    brianlux said:

thanks for the recommendation! 
    Sure thing!  I love 'em!
    brianlux said:

What do they cost roughly per sleeve?

I'll be honest with you, they're not cheap.  But I'm kind of fussy about vinyl LP's and these are super nice and will protect best and outlast any others I've tried (and I've tried a lot of different inners).  I would highly recommend them, at the very least for collectable LPs, MoFis, and such.

OK, drum roll... and the current price is:
    $29.99 US for a pack of 50, or $0.60 (sixty cents) each, not including applicable tax and shipping.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,630
    The best sleeves IMO are Original Master Sleeves.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    The best sleeves IMO are Original Master Sleeves.
    Just a heads up, the materials are all sourced from the same companies, you can buy knockoff versions for way cheaper and get so many more. 
  • Options
    A friend just had a GnR Lies dropped off at his Record store.

It did not have the plastic "coating"...