So I'm going to pick up a keyboard

ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been playing guitar for about 6 years now and I am in a spot now where I am comfortable with my role as a rythem guitar player and want to branch out to being able to play piano/keyboard.

First of all, I don't know what kind to get. I don't want to pay too heavy of a price because I don't want to realize I will never be any good at it and waste a bunch of money on something I won't use.

I've heard that some light up with lessons that teach you chords and give lessons, is that true? That would be a handy way to start, unless anyone here knows a website that could help me out more.

Just kicking the idea around. Let me know what you think or if you have any ideas.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    What's your budget?

I bought one for my son for Christmas. 61 key Yamaha. It was around $200.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I don't want to go over $200. I just want something that will help me pick up the chords pretty quick.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    That's kind of like the one I'm looking at.

What do you think the learning curve will be, as someone with some musical inclinations and general idea of what's going on?
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I bought a CAsio a couple of years ago and had some lessons for a while. It has a little screen which tells you what note you are playing and where it is on the staff, but keys don't light up. You don't really need that, it's for little kiddies.
    The learning curve is not steep. Once you have learnt to play one musical instrument, learning to play another is just a matter of learning where to put your fingers, with the possible exception of violin, which is like plunging cats into boiling water.
    You will pick it up in no time.
    Keybaord is easy cos you can see the sharps and flats, and there is only one place to play each note.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Please, don't get something that lights up. It'll sound horrible!!

Get something that is touch sensitive so you can control the shape of the phrase and something with enough octaves that you won't want to trade it in later.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • I've been playing guitar for about 6 years now and I am in a spot now where I am comfortable with my role as a rythem guitar player and want to branch out to being able to play piano/keyboard.

First of all, I don't know what kind to get. I don't want to pay too heavy of a price because I don't want to realize I will never be any good at it and waste a bunch of money on something I won't use.

I've heard that some light up with lessons that teach you chords and give lessons, is that true? That would be a handy way to start, unless anyone here knows a website that could help me out more.

Just kicking the idea around. Let me know what you think or if you have any ideas.

Get a keytar, those rock......seriously was there anything more pathetic than seeing a keyboard player with a keytar trying to pretend like he was the guitar player?...busts my gut.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-