Options

Thurston Moore to publish memoir, Sonic Life

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
Gift article from NY Times.  Sonic Youth fans will love this. 
I can't wait to get my hand on a copy of this book!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,857

• Options
    Picked up my copy and diving right in.  Just 30 pages in and I can already tell this will be a favorite music memoir for me.  Moore's stories are great!  I just read about him and a friend going to see the Cramps and Suicide.  Crazy!   
    A great read.
    Sonic Life A Memoir

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,308
    Cool, I got a copy for my birthday last week. I was about to start Steve Turner’s ‘Mud Ride’ but I think Thurston will jump the queue!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    Cool, I got a copy for my birthday last week. I was about to start Steve Turner’s ‘Mud Ride’ but I think Thurston will jump the queue!

Fantastic!  I think you will get right into it.  Thurston does a quick job of covering his early life (as opposed to so many biographies that spend what I often find to be too much time going on about family history) and then quickly transitions into killer stories about the music he was inspired by, and bands he went to see in his younger years.
    And the man has the reputation of being a walking dictionary of all this interesting and amazing in music.  I'm stoked that this book is almost 500 pages long-- edited down from the 1500 pages he originally submitted!  Heck, I'd be just fine with reading the whole thing!

I'll be interested to hear what you think.  Enjoy!

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    First I'm hearing of this! Will definitely check it out - thanks for the heads up.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    First I'm hearing of this! Will definitely check it out - thanks for the heads up.

Sure thing!  
    I missed out on reading the last couple days (COVID vacc knocked me down hard) but am back into to Thurston's book and loving it!

• Options
    Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,352
    mfc2006 said:
    Signed copies at Premier Collectibles for $35 
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    Signed copies at Premier Collectibles for $35 

Great deal if it's a flat signed trade hardcover.  I paid just under $30, unsigned.