what do you do when you're sick and have to sing?!

neenerbeanneenerbean Posts: 205
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a show tonight and I sing (PJ covers) and we have an ACOUSTIC SET to play.

I have a crappy voice right now...do you just suffer through it? Or would you actually cancel a show?

And what can I do to fix it before tonight? Hot tea? Steam? Lots of whiskey? LOL j/k

-ames-
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    go to the store and get some throat coat tea. It's what ed uses.

Drink massive quantities of water (gatoraid) and keep that and tea or something warm on stage with you if possible.

Warm up your throat with excercises first.

Tea, hot and cold works wonders. It's the anti oxidants I think.

Throat Coat will pull you through. Bring a few losenges too. vicks work pretty well.

chloraseptic spray, will make you feel better in the mean time.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • neenerbeanneenerbean Posts: 205
    thanks dude :)

how's about RIIIIIIIIIIICOLLA?
    Originally posted by neenerbean
    thanks dude :)

how's about RIIIIIIIIIIICOLLA?

yeah they are fine. Pretty much anything with eucalyptus is good.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    yeah. just keep it from drying out and suffer through it. i remember being stuffed up for shows and singing opened them up. it was weird.

never had a really sore throat though.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    yeah. just keep it from drying out and suffer through it. i remember being stuffed up for shows and singing opened them up. it was weird.

never had a really sore throat though.
    it's not so much sore...it's just my voice is kinda cracking and I have lots o' phlegm :(
    Originally posted by neenerbean
    it's not so much sore...it's just my voice is kinda cracking and I have lots o' phlegm :(

try a spoon full of hot sauce. That will open you up too.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    try a spoon full of hot sauce. That will open you up too.
    YEEK! :eek:
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Here's a couple of things I use.

1. Honey Lemon Halls.....it keeps the dryness away and helps clear your nasal passages.

2. Boil some water.. Put a towel over your head and breath in deeply. NOT TOO HOT. This will help clear out your lungs and your nose.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • MONKEYNUTSMONKEYNUTS Posts: 114
    GET drunK NeE
    Getting drunk is probably the WORST thing you can do for your voice...
    GETTin drunK is the best FINg u can do 4 any proBlem U HAv
    Yeah, but we're talking about Saving your voice, not solving your problems..
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Well, straight out of Crocodile Dundee....

Put about $1,000 worth of premium coke in a big bowl of boiling water...

Anyways.

I agree with the throat-coat tea...

Hot wings are a good idea, too...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    savIn YA vOice, solvIn ur probLEMS, curin CANcer, OBlIteratIn waR, NEEDiN A Piss, eatIn a dinOSAOUR.... drunKness SOLVES iT alL
  • KwyjiboKwyjibo Posts: 662
    i played a show sick one time, I had almost completely lost my voice by the end of the night, but it actually gave me kind of a cool voice, just drink lotsss of water
    unfortunately I played a show the next night and we kinda sucked cause we traveled a few hundred miles and I got pneumonia
    The most remarkable thing about you standing in the doorway, is that its you, and that you're standing in the doorway.

I write down good reasons to freeze to death in my spiral ring notebook. But in the long tresses of your hair--I am a babbling brook.
    the show went surprisingly well! my voice was actually pretty good! :D I couldn't hit certain notes and I was flat a little more than usual but I told the crowd I was sick and it turned out being one of the best shows we've had recently!

thanks everyone - I wound up just drinking a lot of water and taking some Tylenol Sore Throat stuff (a syrup that kinda coats your throat). now I have no voice though :p hopefully it'll come back by Saturday (we have an ELECTRIC set then! :eek: )