Brilliant video 1993

2»

Comments

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    The Rock said:
    RS151862 said:
    demetrios said:
    Pearl Jam - 8/14/93 {NEW Complete Pro-Shot SBD Concert} NEW SBD Audio & over 1,000 New Video Edits 

I don’t get the point of this.. none of the audio is from Mudfest… why bother. 
    I've watched 30 mins or so and I have to say its pretty great. Th average fan watching wouldn't have a clue that the audio is from other shows. It's really well done. 

It must have taken a long time to put this together. 
    So the videos are all from one show, right? But the audio from a bunch of different '93 shows, is that how this was made? It mostly looks very very aligned, like it matches. 
  • Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,392
    JH6056 said:
    The Rock said:
    RS151862 said:
    demetrios said:
    Pearl Jam - 8/14/93 {NEW Complete Pro-Shot SBD Concert} NEW SBD Audio & over 1,000 New Video Edits 

I've watched 30 mins or so and I have to say its pretty great. Th average fan watching wouldn't have a clue that the audio is from other shows. It's really well done. 

So the videos are all from one show, right? But the audio from a bunch of different '93 shows, is that how this was made? It mostly looks very very aligned, like it matches. 
    I think so, yeah. He's inserted some crowd shots from some of the pro-shot MTV footage from 1993 but everything else is the Mudfest show. 

The audio is almost flawless, it matches very well. I'm impressed.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    Classic show!

To my Canadian friends (or anyone who might know) - the 1993 shows in Canada seem to list very small venues (Calgary, Edmonton, ect..) Does anyone know if these were warm up shows? Non ticketmaster venues only? I know the joke is that Canada discovers popular bands years later, but 1993 was peak pearl jam fandom no? 
    they were opening for Neil on that tour. Except Gimli. That was a 30,000 festival in bumfuck Manitoba. It was amazing. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    93 has to be Ed at his grumpiest.  He just looks pissed the whole time lol.  
    he was pretty drunk and fighting Manitoba Pterodactyls (mosquitos) all night. my boss at the time met them in their trailer and he mentioned that eddie seemed really pissy then too. (same guy got me backstage at Soundgarden 3 years later)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,309
    DM282158 said:
    Those early renditions of Animal were beyond intense
    My first PJ show was in 93 as well and they opened with Animal. Unreal way to start my live PJ journey (hard to believe it was 30 years ago!)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,866
    mcgruff10 said:
    he was pretty drunk and fighting Manitoba Pterodactyls (mosquitos) all night. my boss at the time met them in their trailer and he mentioned that eddie seemed really pissy then too. (same guy got me backstage at Soundgarden 3 years later)
    Inspired red mosquito perhaps. More details on backstage soundgarden please...
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    nothing to really talk about. My boss was the caterer for the show. so we were down there pre-show and post-show. I saw Cornell walk by preshow, but he looked focused, so I was too intimidated to talk to him. 

after the show, my buddy and I met Matt by an exit door as he was laughing his ass off watching Ben run around the parking lot drunk out of his mind, pissing off the roadies who were trying to move the tour busses around. chatted with matt for a good 20 minutes or so. he was super chill, just like talking to an old buddy I hadn't seen in a while. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,968
    JH6056 said:
    The Rock said:
    RS151862 said:
    demetrios said:

Yes.

Pearl Jam - 08/14/93 (Video)
    Gimli Motorsport Park
    Gimli, Manitoba - Canada
    Sunfest '93 (Mudfest)

Set:
    00. Intro...
    01. Evenflow
    02. Why Go
    03. Deep
    04. Jeremy
    05. Animal
    06. Glorified G
    07. Daughter
    08. Go
    09. State of Love and Trust
    10. Garden
    11. Blood
    12. Alive
    13. Black
    14. Once
    15. Porch
    -------------------
    16. Indifference
    17. Sonic Reducer
    18. Rockin' in the Free World
    19. Baba O'Riley

Run Time: 1:31:37

When viewing on a larger screen the quality will improve if you reduce the brightness & contrast a bit.

Audio Sources:
    Tracks 1,2,7,10,12,17 - Recorded 7/16/93 Rotterdam, HD
    Tracks 3,9,13,15,16 - Recorded 4/03/94 Atlanta, GA
    Tracks 4,6,8,11 - Recorded 11/05/93 Indio, CA
    Track 5 - Recorded 12/08/93 Seattle, WA
    Track 14 - Recorded 11/30/93 Las Vegas, NV
    Track 18 - Recorded 12/08/93 Seattle, WA & 6/18/92 Zurich, CH
    Track 19 - Recorded 9/02/92 Los Angeles, CA (short guitar solo is from 8/10/00 FL.)

My original purpose for this project was to upgrade the audio quality. The original audio source from the video was from one of the video camera microphones. The audio mix was thick and dull, and you can't hear Mike's guitar well at all in most areas. Ed’s vocals are also very muffled and there is too much natural reverb. On the other hand, the video footage was great, and contains 3 different professional camera angles. Even with this great video footage, because of the poor-quality audio, I only watch this video occasionally anymore.

So, I figured I would try a song or two to see if matching the audio from a different show would work with this footage. I was very excited with how it was coming out, so I decided to do the entire concert. It then took on a life of its own, and thus began an extensive process of over 1,000 video edits, video remastering and the most extensive audio work I have attempted to date. Below is a description of the process.

For the purists that feel this is not “authentic”or "live" because the video and audio are not from the same show, I completely understand, and this is not for you. Feel free not to watch, or complain.

The goal is to match the newly edited video to the new audio source as closely as possible. As tight as Pearl Jam were in this era. it would still be impossible to match it up perfectly. That’s when we have to get a little creative. I added edits of video footage to cover up minor speed / tempo changes from the original. Before the footage starts to go out of sync, I would add in some crowd footage, and then take the next video clip and pull it or push it to match up. My goal is to try not to notice the changes at all when I watch it back.

Audio Notes:
    I started with the 6 SBD audio sources from the Vs. 93/94' Tours. For the last song I had to widen the net and use the Pre-FM source from Zurich 6/18/1992, and fill in the short guitar solo from 8/10/00 WPB, FL.
    There were several factors in selecting which audio sources were chosen. (Performance quality, Performance similarities, Speed/Tempo, Sound Quality etc...)
    My preference was to leave the audio as is , and do the more extensive editing to the video. On certain tracks audio edits were still needed.
    All of the audio was spectral-analyzed and adjusted accordingly, to create similar EQ settings, and make the songs from different shows sound as similar to each other as possible. The volume and EQ was adjusted to create one listening tone & volume for the entire concert.
    The in between song talking, and banter remains included from the original video source. Most audio tracks are in their originally recorded tempo and pitch. The audio speed and pitch needed to be adjusted in Alive, Once, and Rockin' in the Free World, and cuts were made to Jeremy, Daughter, Garden, Porch, and Rockin’ in the Free World.

Video Notes:
    All video footage was remastered and upconverted to HD. There are adjustments to contrast, brightness, color, tint, denoise filters, smoothing filters, and deblocking filters. In addition to editing the video extensively to match the different audio performances, there are reused parts of the concert to help capture parts of the show when the cameramen didn't follow the music. Doing it perfectly for the entire concert would not be possible. If you spend your time playing detective, you will pick up on imperfections, or inconsistencies, but if you sit back relax and enjoy, they should not be very noticeable at all. I literally went frame by frame trying to make the best choices possible for each situation with the footage available. This process for the most part is subjective, so I tried to balance the choices I made to improve the overall viewing experience.

This was a complicated project, but there was a large amount of great material to work with. I don’t even want to admit how many hours I put into this, but I enjoyed every minute of it. I feel that the overall improvement from the original is substantial, and I am extremely excited about how it came out.

I hope you enjoy!
    Steve D.

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Super cool, thank you again!
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 587

The goal is to match the newly edited video to the new audio source as closely as possible. As tight as Pearl Jam were in this era. it would still be impossible to match it up perfectly. That’s when we have to get a little creative. I added edits of video footage to cover up minor speed / tempo changes from the original. Before the footage starts to go out of sync, I would add in some crowd footage, and then take the next video clip and pull it or push it to match up. My goal is to try not to notice the changes at all when I watch it back.

I watched and enjoyed it, and I had no idea the audio was not from the show. Thanks and nice work!
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,465
    This is a really impressive edit.  Great job!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    stevedsteved Posts: 651
    edited December 2023
    I’m glad most of you are enjoying this video. I’m really excited with how it came out.

To the guys who say  “what’s the point, and why bother”” I totally get that there are people that won’t enjoy something that isn’t “Live” in the traditional way. I take no offense by that. I would suggest taking a pass, and not watching it.
    Unfortunately for the rest of us, there aren’t other options for Live Pro-Shot SBD concerts from the 93/94 Vs tours out there for us to watch. So I guess that’s “the point”. Until the day PJ releases professional footage from this era, (which I don’t think they have), this is the closest way to bring me back to the feelings and memories of that very special time period for the band. 

I primarily do these types of video edits for me. I then share them if I think others might enjoy it. Of course it’s nice that other fellow PJ fans will enjoy something I’ve created. But that is not my motivation to do it. 

(Trying not sound arrogant), but I will say with no hesitation, that this is really well done, meticulous, professional work, and that it was definitely worthwhile to do. For no other reason than “I” will watch and enjoy this myself many, many times. 

I tried my best to describe in the notes the exact process that was used. I wasn’t looking to trick anyone. Lol. But the fact is out of the first 30,000 people that have watched this video in the first 10 days, most viewers didn’t even notice the different audio sources, until they read the notes after watching it. That’s the biggest compliment I can get. 

Enjoy!
    Steve D 
    Post edited by steved on
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,392
    Thank you very much for the hard work, it definitely shows. I can only imagine how long this took and how tricky it was but it looks and sounds great!
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,465
    As someone who is not a professional but puts a lot of effort into editing video from our family vacations and stuff, I couldn’t imagine how tough a project this was to put together.  Respect 👍🏻
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    As someone who is not a professional but puts a lot of effort into editing video from our family vacations and stuff, I couldn’t imagine how tough a project this was to put together.  Respect 👍🏻
    Thanks!  It took me a couple of weeks on and off at night compiling and selecting the audio, and doing the bulk of the editing to get a rough draft and synching song by song. 

Then when I think I’m almost done, the fun actually starts. Most nights I would render new changes to a Blu-ray Disc to watch on my tv. Making sure the changes I had made from the previous night were exact when I watched back. Then while watching for those changes, I would inevitably find new changes or improvements. And this cyclical process can be indefinite. 

On this concert  I rendered 57 Blu-ray Discs of changes before I uploaded the version to YouTube. Since then I have continued to make minor changes, as I find something I can do to correct or improve. 

So In total it took a few months on and off to get it to a point I was comfortable enough with it to upload. By the time I’m done I have watched the entire concert around 75 times I would guess. By that point every shot is pretty much memorized. So when I’m watching back I can see an area that may be fine, but the thought pops in to my mind “hmm, maybe if I did this instead of that, it would be even better” lol

All in all it was a pretty immersive and therapeutic process. 
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,866
    Loujoe said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    nothing to really talk about. My boss was the caterer for the show. so we were down there pre-show and post-show. I saw Cornell walk by preshow, but he looked focused, so I was too intimidated to talk to him. 

after the show, my buddy and I met Matt by an exit door as he was laughing his ass off watching Ben run around the parking lot drunk out of his mind, pissing off the roadies who were trying to move the tour busses around. chatted with matt for a good 20 minutes or so. he was super chill, just like talking to an old buddy I hadn't seen in a while. 
    Super cool. Nice you left cc alone. Prob f..k up his pre-show game. 
  • Options
    steved said:
    on2legs said:
    Thanks!  It took me a couple of weeks on and off at night compiling and selecting the audio, and doing the bulk of the editing to get a rough draft and synching song by song. 

Then when I think I’m almost done, the fun actually starts. Most nights I would render new changes to a Blu-ray Disc to watch on my tv. Making sure the changes I had made from the previous night were exact when I watched back. Then while watching for those changes, I would inevitably find new changes or improvements. And this cyclical process can be indefinite. 

On this concert  I rendered 57 Blu-ray Discs of changes before I uploaded the version to YouTube. Since then I have continued to make minor changes, as I find something I can do to correct or improve. 

So In total it took a few months on and off to get it to a point I was comfortable enough with it to upload. By the time I’m done I have watched the entire concert around 75 times I would guess. By that point every shot is pretty much memorized. So when I’m watching back I can see an area that may be fine, but the thought pops in to my mind “hmm, maybe if I did this instead of that, it would be even better” lol

Great work Steve. Keep it up man. :)
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    steved said:
    on2legs said:

Great work Steve. Keep it up man. :)
    Thanks bud!

• Options
    Up!