sounds like les paul standard?

neenerbeanneenerbean Posts: 205
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I own an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus and my boyfriend/guitarist LOVES IT. Thing is, I don't want to play the same guitar as him at shows - unless he uses a series of pedals and really mixes the sound up so we don't have the same tone.

But just curious - are there any guitars out there with a similar tone & versatality to the Les Paul? He's playing a Fernades Dragonfly Pro (yes, with sustainer) right now. You can download our songs at the following website to hear what kind of music we play:

http://www.thedollars.net

We're also in a Pearl Jam cover band and he typically uses my guitar for those gigs, although he's more the "Mike" in the band :D

Many thanks,
ames
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Go with an SG. Special or Standard whichever fits your hand and style better. It's lighter, a bit brighter but will still give you all the grit grind and power of your LP.

If you can find one, (look far and wide because they are rare) Epiphone made a brilliant (G400) (Epiphone SG) in Korina Wood (the same wood mike's flying V is made out of)

They are fantastic and would matchup well with the LP, Shouldn't run you more than about 400 clams.

This one is tight as balls Ames.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33037&item=3780535745&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

in fact if you don't buy this I'll have to thrash you or at least out bid you. If it's under 4 bills it's an f'ing steal.

it's even got upgraded P/U's
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • actually I was looking for something for HIM to buy - cause I heart my Les Paul :D mine is the sunburst finish like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33040&item=3781261177&rd=1

they have Epiphone SG's, right? he's not loaded so under $400 would be best anyhow.

and yer right - that SG is "tight as balls"...

*sighs dreamily wishing she could buy 980 guitars*

Pacomc79 wrote:
    Go with an SG. Special or Standard whichever fits your hand and style better. It's lighter, a bit brighter but will still give you all the grit grind and power of your LP.

If you can find one, (look far and wide because they are rare) Epiphone made a brilliant (G400) (Epiphone SG) in Korina Wood (the same wood mike's flying V is made out of)

They are fantastic and would matchup well with the LP, Shouldn't run you more than about 400 clams.

This one is tight as balls Ames.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33037&item=3780535745&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

it's even got upgraded P/U's
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    in fact if you don't buy this I'll have to thrash you or at least out bid you. If it's under 4 bills it's an f'ing steal.

why must you tempt me so?!
    neenerbean wrote:
    actually I was looking for something for HIM to buy - cause I heart my Les Paul :D mine is the sunburst finish like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33040&item=3781261177&rd=1

they have Epiphone SG's, right? he's not loaded so under $400 would be best anyhow.

and yer right - that SG is "tight as balls"...

*sighs dreamily wishing she could buy 980 guitars*

gorgeous, I love heritage cherry sunburst on Les Pauls.

That guitar is the perfect gigger. under 4 bills definately. Mig will concur I'm sure, Korina SG's are nice and the gibson models are between 5K and 10K.

This one has awesome pickups (coil taps), a much better bridge, pro set up and was lovingly cared for. The only thing I'd do is take off those silly Klusons and exchange them for some grover lockers. then maybe change the nut to a graphtech tusq or graphite if it isn't already, he's probably done that given the level of modification.

heck it even has the trap inlay and the 61 style pickguard.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    SGs are swell.
    exhausted wrote:
    SGs are swell.

look at the wood on it ex... it's glorious.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    look at the wood on it ex... it's glorious.

aye, tis very nice.

the place i buy had never brought in a naturalburst SG. after i showed them mine, they brought in two.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    That guitar is the perfect gigger. under 4 bills definately. Mig will concur I'm sure, Korina SG's are nice and the gibson models are between 5K and 10K.

Korina SG's frickin' rock... hard to find, too...

It would be a lot brighter, grittier, more bite than a Les Paul. The tones would match up nicely together. The LP would be a great chunky rhythm tone, and the SG would be a great, full-presence lead tone. Those PRS pups are worth every bit of the $300 he says they are. That guitar is worth probably $600-800, if it's as described. If it goes for under $500, it's a steal.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Aiiiiiiimmmmeeeeeee!!! :)

Good to see you're still playing and I hope you're doing great!

I played a bunch of these when I was doing a bunch of guitar research a couple of weeks ago. I had it cranking through an old Marshall in the store. It was pretty impressive! I'm comfortable with my gender, I guess, and these guitars are pretty damn good!

Get him one of these!

http://www.daisyrock.com/products/butterfly/bf_ss_fantasy_pop.htm

:D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

• Damnit, Bob...

I clicked that, and before it loaded, I read the URL...
    Aiiiiiiimmmmeeeeeee!!! :)

I played a bunch of these when I was doing a bunch of guitar research a couple of weeks ago. I had it cranking through an old Marshall in the store. It was pretty impressive! I'm comfortable with my gender, I guess, and these guitars are pretty damn good!

Get him one of these!

wow, yeah if your planning on joining a prince cover band. why bob why? :D
  • Aiiiiiiimmmmeeeeeee!!! :)

Get him one of these!

LMFAO!! :P

And I bid on the Korina. Wish me luck *bites nails*

ames

[ps] Bob, did I send you an Evite for the Convergence? :D
    neenerbean wrote:
    LMFAO!! :P

And I bid on the Korina. Wish me luck *bites nails*

ames

[ps] Bob, did I send you an Evite for the Convergence? :D

good luck ames. this one is quality. I've been shopping korina all week.
  • Amy!

That guitar will go off at probably 5 or 600 bucks,,,,,hopefully not.
    I've been actually looking for those pickups for another guitar. (I saw this before it came up here! Doh) :D

If it goes above your price, I go for it and get it, maybe we can work out a deal where I put some split coil duncan 57's in and get it to you.

But y'all go first.

I hope you get it Amy!

Good luck,,, some other decent options.

This would be a quick decision here :eek:
    This is cool, may need a pickup upgrade
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33037&item=3780783037&rd=1

This one's cool:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33037&item=3781119550&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

This one is great, too! It is a Les Paul, though, but looks like a cool guitar:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33037&item=3781162656&rd=1

And no I didn't get an evite,,,, but I'd like one! ;)
    Be kind, man
    i'd love to get an explorer and play like "4 string winds" on it at a folkfest.

How about a duet with someone on one of those scary looking Jackson guitars, both on acoustic pedals singing:

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind,
    The answer is blowin in the wind
    Be kind, man

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind,
    The answer is blowin in the wind

The George Lynch ESP with snakes......

There ain no use in turnin on your light gal.
    The light I never knowed.....
  • Well Ames,

I decided to stay home onn-a-sadurdaynight for ya.

Bingo,,,,,

Got it

Actually I wouldn't have had it if had gone out. Got it in the last 2 seconds!

Be kind, man

Got it

Actually I wouldn't have had it if had gone out. Got it in the last 2 seconds!

WTG, Bob!

ten characters
    I'd like an update on this evolving story.

How are the P/U's Bob? If Amy's got the guitar now how do you like it Ames?
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    I'd like an update on this evolving story.

How are the P/U's Bob? If Amy's got the guitar now how do you like it Ames?

Well,,,, he didn't take paypal,, so I sent a check which probably got there today,,, so I don't even know if there really IS a guitar yet!
    I talked to him on the phone and he's a really nice guy,,,an I assured him that the guitar was going to end up in the hands of a really cool person.

I should get the guitar next week I guess. Then the story can unfold!
    :)
    Be kind, man

cool, look foward to hearing about it. I bet it will sound awesome threw the mesa and the rivera. The neighbors won't be pleased :D
  • Bob is actually going to sell me the Korina with different P/U's on it. They're Seymour Duncan's...

Paco, MIG, etc - not that I don't trust Bob, but - what do you think of those type of P/U's? Would the guitar still RAWK hardcore? :D

Anxiously awaiting my Korina SG...

ames

Well,,,, he didn't take paypal,, so I sent a check which probably got there today,,, so I don't even know if there really IS a guitar yet!
    I talked to him on the phone and he's a really nice guy,,,an I assured him that the guitar was going to end up in the hands of a really cool person.

neenerbean wrote:
    Bob is actually going to sell me the Korina with different P/U's on it. They're Seymour Duncan's...

Paco, MIG, etc - not that I don't trust Bob, but - what do you think of those type of P/U's? Would the guitar still RAWK hardcore? :D

ames

Seymour Duncan 59's..... I think it will work out ok. I'll let you find out for yourself. ;)

to whet your appitite

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/SDToneWizard/hummer.htm
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    Damnit, Bob...

I clicked that, and before it loaded, I read the URL...

That was SUCH a sweet guitar. Want one bad. But, of course, you have to put hot pink P-90's into her.
    ;)
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • neenerbean wrote:
    Bob is actually going to sell me the Korina with different P/U's on it. They're Seymour Duncan's...

My next guitar is getting a standard PAF (mine will be a Fralin, but same idea) in the bridge, and a Classic 57 (wax-potted, chrome-covered version of the PAF) in the neck. So yes, I love the PAF pickups.

FYI, "PAF" stands for "patent applied for." This is because those pickups are the same design as the original humbucker designed by Seth Lover in 1956. They are *THE* holy grail pickup. Bob's PAF pickups have the infamous zebra-coils... which means one coil is black and the other is vintage creme. Those pickups will not only *sound* freaking incredible in that SG, but they will look *so* freaking cool in the korina wood...

You are getting such a very nice guitar that I am just about beside myself with jealousy...

Bob, you can pay me whenever.
  • neenerbean wrote:

ames

Checking up on me , eh? ;)

Those pickups will rock, Ames. I'll wire them so you can split the coils on them,,, meaning that you'll tap one of the knobs and it will cause them to be single coil, and kind of Strat like which'll open a whole new sonic world. If you have the original pickups in your Epiphone,,, you're going to hear a lot more clarity out of the Duncans I'm putting in.

They're already in my present SG now. Here they are:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/mynamehere/new%20house/IMG_1407.jpg

Those pickups may actually may rock more than the one's that are in the korina one! I mean,,, I haven't actually seen them yet. I'll believe it when I see it!
    Be kind, man
  • Do you know that I don't even have that guitar yet!? Its in transit now,,, but this guy is the slowest shipper on record. He had to go find a box,,,,, then he lost my address and called me a couple of days later,,,, then he went away for a few days,,,, then he said his secretary forgot to call UPS last Friday,,,,,, He's a nice guy,,,, but he's a lot like,,,, hmmm, he's a lot like,,,,,, uhhhhhhhhh.......

He's a lot like a guitarist! :D
    Be kind, man
    Do you know that I don't even have that guitar yet!? Its in transit now,,, but this guy is the slowest shipper on record. He had to go find a box,,,,, then he lost my address and called me a couple of days later,,,, then he went away for a few days,,,, then he said his secretary forgot to call UPS last Friday,,,,,,

SUUUUUUUUUUUURE, Bob.

You've probably had it for two weeks, and you just don't want to let that beautiful SG go.
  • SUUUUUUUUUUUURE, Bob.

You've probably had it for two weeks, and you just don't want to let that beautiful SG go.

That could be true for some people,,,,, but we're talking Neenerbean here!!! :D I would never want to hold her up!

Well, I guess I DID hold her up! I gave her a piggy back ride to the venue at Reading.

I got my '68 SG pickups back from Lindy Fralin yesterday. He didn't do anything with them because one of them's a PAF! He said that every once in a while, you see one in a late 60's guitar because they had various ones laying around. It's worth more for me to sell it, or keep it for historical value than it is to put back in, so I thing I'll put some Fralins in my SG now. I don't know what type yet, though.
    He's a top notch honest and cool dude.

It feels kind of weird, though,, a pickup in a guitar I bought new,,, is a relic, and now has historical value! :eek:
    Be kind, man