what is the easiest song to play on guitar

pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
my brother just gave me one of his electric guitars so i thought i'd learn how to play it.

thanks for any help guys
"I'm a thief, and I dig it"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm also just now learning to play guitar. Actually my 1st lesson was today (I'm teaching myself ;) ) Anyhoo...I hear that Nirvana songs are really easy to learn, especially Come As You Are. I actually bought the 'Guitar for Dummies' book. It's really helped me a lot. If you're as inexperienced as me you might wanna grab it. I read it all day today and I learned 3 chords. My fingers are hurtin' like a bitch! And yea anyone who wants to throw out helpful advice...that would be super!
  • pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
    cool man, good luck. I was looking on the internet before i made this thread and learned the intro to come as you are. pretty easy.
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • mojorison_75mojorison_75 Posts: 157
    If you're into PJ or PJ related, Baba O'riely is really easy to play. Very cool song too.
  • smoke on the water (lol way too easy)
    seven nation army
    rearview mirror
    all those yesterdays
    corduroy
    betterman
    present tense

if you can play fast try Trapled Under Foot by Zeppelin...its an easy riff but towards the end you need to have fast fingers
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • I strongly disagree with RVM and betterman. I could never understand how those were considered easy when I began and I still can't now that I can easily play both.

Betterman requires some fast switching and RVM is just really fast and tough to get at first.

Curduroy played with the real chords is pretty difficult too. But it does have a wicked sounding easy intro.

I agree with seven nation army. I think that is the ultimate beginner song that sounds wicked.

Or for practising with chords I suggest learning rockin in the free world above all else.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • learn free falling by tom petty. its 3 chords the whole song.

chord proggression = D, G, G, D, A
    knowledge is a tree
    it's growing up just like me.
  • woodsywoodsy Posts: 5
    When I come around by Green Day is a easy one to start off with, All power chords. Nirvana's polly another good one to learn basic chords.
    woodsy
  • PJ songs (or PJ related):
    Small Town
    Last Kiss
    HYLA
    RITFW
    Lukin
    Sometimes
    Long Road
    Daughter (tuning GGDGBD)
    Nothingman (capo on 5th fret)

those should be good for starters.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • CadenceCadence Posts: 16
    anything by nirvana or green day. there is a lot of metallica stuff that is easy as well (intros at least).
    some advice: unplug your guitar and practice your picking and chords...anytime you can... i.e. while you watch t.v...talk on the phone. anytime. this really helped me speed the process along!
    good luck!
    the ablitly to quote is a serviceable substituion for wit.
  • BertieBertie Posts: 6
    My advice... Write some lyrics, write a chord progression and keep practicing the song until you can play it perfectly whilst singing along (it doesnt matter if you can't sing). Doing this allows you to get changing chords as a subconscious thing. Writing your own song is just fun though you could do it with a simple chord progression, knocking on heavens doot for example (GDC i believe). Anyway this is how I started off, in between your chord practice put a bit of fingerpicking for good measure (betterman, house of the rising sun). After about 5 months of constant practice you'll be good enough to play rhythm in a band. Thats how I did it, we had our first gig last friday and it rocked :D

It can suck when you first start off, but when your good enough performing in front of people is the best feeling ever.

Good Luck!!
  • SometimesSometimes Posts: 94
    Are you peoplae crazy? Not For You is the easiest Pearl Jam song to play.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Lukin!!!
    God's Dice is also good for power chords, makes you move around the fretboard a bit but still easy!
    For chords, I started with Long Road and Everyday, learnt those three chords back to front and since then have been progressing really well....
  • PJJC6203PJJC6203 Posts: 40
    Jeremy

But "Not For You" is a simple as simple can be.
    "Life Is one crushing defeat after another,until you just wish Flanders was dead!"
    -Homer J.Simpson
  • pj kidpj kid Posts: 26

"Love cannot save you from your
    fate."

<Jim Morrison>

• Pat HPat H Posts: 101
    lukin is extremely easy, I learned it in less than a minute
  • Thumbing my way is pretty easy, I've only been playing a short time and got it rather quickly. Green day time of your life is unbeleivably simple, one of the first songs I learned. G,C,D then Em,D,C,G then Em,G repeat, then Em,D,G

Also Off he goes is somewhat simple, only difficult because of two or three different guitars at once.
    You're crazy man...
    I like you, but you're crazy.

~Frank the Tank
  • all those mentioned so far, but alive isn't really hard either
    BANZÄÄÄ

When he was six, he believed that the moon overhead followed him
    By nine, he deciphered the illusion, trading magic for fact, no trade-backs
    So this is what it's like to be an adult?
    If he only knew now what he knew then
  • 2italy2italy Posts: 39
    louie louie - the main chord progression is quite easy
    santa monica by everclear is easy too