are E-BOWs easy to use

pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
edited June 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
with the guitar and how much do they cost.

thanks a lot
"I'm a thief, and I dig it"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Never used one, but i'm pretty sure all you do is place the ebow on the strings and play as you normally would. I believe they run around 70 or 80 bucks from Musicians Friend.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
    70 bucks. didn't think they would be that much. thanks for the help.
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • i had one for about 6 months. If u dont know anything about them, its a little device that fits into your hand, and u basically use it as a bow.(except u can only do one string at a time, which disapointed me) You can get some real amazing feedback sounds with the right amount of reverb and delay...it sounds really cool, very spacey....as for ease of use, its akward at first..(hint, keep your amp volume down when u start out) It doesnt take too long to learn. If u practice enough, u should have it down in a week.
    the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
  • When I bought the e-bow, as I was walking out of the store some dude came up to me and said that vibrators work just as good and you can get all the strings at once which would be cool. never tried it, wife might get mad?!?!?!
    www.myspace.com/evenflowrocks

heathen frog psycho number ONE!
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    They're pretty intuitive. A volume pedal really helps control the swell. I've used one, specifically, to emulate a cello in a live setting with pretty good results. They do take a bit getting used to, but they're fun little toys.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • sirjamstonsirjamston Posts: 38
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    They do take a bit getting used to, but they're fun little toys.

are we talking about e-bows or vibrators now?
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by twistedmenace

Don't make me come over there...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    I think they are difficult to use because you can only play one string at a time, and they are a bit picky about placement on the strings... ie, you have to be very precise about the alignment and height on the field to get it to work well...

that being said, after some practice it can be a pretty cool option for solos or ambient tones.
    There's No Code.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    quote:Originally posted by twistedmenace
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Don't make me come over there...

Ha ha. But anyways, I've been tempted to get an ebow for awhile now...with all my effects, I imagine I could get some crazy-spacey sounds out of it....
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com