What's the advantage for guitarists to grow out their fingernails

pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have been playing guitar for quite some time and I'm pretty good. (I only play acoustic though) and I grew my fingernails on my right hand out you know like a lot of guitarists do but I was just wondering how this helps. I mean why not just use a pick?

thanks for the help
"I'm a thief, and I dig it"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I have been playing guitar for quite some time and I'm pretty good. (I only play acoustic though) and I grew my fingernails on my right hand out you know like a lot of guitarists do but I was just wondering how this helps. I mean why not just use a pick?

thanks for the help

fingerpicking, thats the only reason really
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • I have been playing guitar for quite some time and I'm pretty good. (I only play acoustic though) and I grew my fingernails on my right hand out you know like a lot of guitarists do but I was just wondering how this helps. I mean why not just use a pick?

thanks for the help
    you can use your finger's, not just pick....
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    am i the only one who fingerpicks with my actual finger tips not my nails?
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Thats how I learned to fingerpick, with just the tips, not the nails.

thanks for the help
    the only advantages of growing your nails are
    1.Theyre great for picking your nose with
    2.You can go to fancy dress parties as Freddy Krueger:)
    Cornell pwns u